BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

First test of X3 in snow this weekend

5K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  X3-terrestrial 
#1 ·
I will be curious how our new X3 works in the snow.

We have a 2006 sport..so 255/18 tires. Michelin Pilots.

We will be in the mountains of NC/TN and they are expecting 6" of snow.

I will report back...........

#34 ·
thanks all.

I grew up in Michigan and driving in snow, so I have that experience and know the fundamentals.

We used to have a 2 door Tahoe (k-Blazer back then...) with off road tires. It was literally unstoppable in snow. Our Denali was good, but the all-season tires were not as good.

#38 ·
The X3 is a LOT of fun to drift as well with the proper tyres. I haven't driven a car that's quite as controllable, yet easy to kick the tail out as the X3. It makes anyone feel like a pro-rally driver.

#40 ·
snow so good!

My 2005 X3 is fantastic, before purchasing I had my eye on the z4 but my Husband claimed not practical for all season driving in Edmonton Canada. Every winter I tell him how right he was. We live at the bottom of a VERY steep, long hill and the X3 powers up it. Snow is no problem we had 20 cms fall last sat and even ruts that big were no match.

Feel secure in your truck!

#41 ·
My 2005 X3 is fantastic, before purchasing I had my eye on the z4 but my Husband claimed not practical for all season driving in Edmonton Canada. Every winter I tell him how right he was. We live at the bottom of a VERY steep, long hill and the X3 powers up it. Snow is no problem we had 20 cms fall last sat and even ruts that big were no match.

Feel secure in your truck!
mzp, a wise decision to go with X3. I bought it for all the same reasons, AWD, reasonably high ground clearance when getting out of unplowed side street, enough room in passenger compartment and for luggage in the hatch and safety rating. Good luck with snow this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.