BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sound System Improvement Stage One

309K views 432 replies 96 participants last post by  Mic10is 
#1 ·
I have been asked on numerous occasions about stereo equipment for the X3 since I have installed them in two separate X3's (07 and 08) and helped dozens of others including some dealerships.

Stereo installations can be done in stages just like performance or handling enhancements can be done in most vehicles until the desired impact is achieved. This helps to not only spread out the cost, but keep it to a minimum.

At the end of this whole series I will post some pics and "DIY" instructions.

For those that are new to the forum my recommendation come from over 35 years in the music industry as well as 20 years as a radio broadcast engineer with such big radio station names as DC 101 where Howard Stern started, and doing sound for a number of popular bands or groups.

Please bear in mind with my experience and even more --- these are only suggestions since the human ear is the most perfectly diverse piece of audio test equipment available and what sounds good to me might sound like (expletive) to you :).

This will be done in five stages:

Since there are so many different variations I will make suggestions in what I consider to be each stage of improving your X3's basic business sound system. IF you have the higher grade sound system, you are probably content and don't need my meddling.

First (Stage One): Speakers

speakers like tires can be an easy change but make a world of difference. I will not go into the full details of what specs are what, but only recommend ones I know will fit and have the proper electrical acceptability to the OEM sound system. Prices are approximate and taken from Crutchfield as it is an easy link and has good descriptions.

Alpine SPS-400 $70 all around good sound most popular http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS400/Alpine-SPS-400.html?tp=102&tab=features_and_specs

Infinity Reference Series $130 favors the brighter side of music if your hearing is dulling these will certainly let you hear the sound of Santana as well as the violins of Tchaikovsky. Will also take more power if and amp is later added. http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_108429I/Infinity-Kappa-42-9i.html?tp=102

Focals 100 VRS $600 not cheap. This is really pushing it. I won't spend this kind of money, but if you have it and are serious about sound these are the best that will fit in your X3. Please be advised that they will never sound great with out additional power, like an external amp. http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_091100VRS/Focal-Polyglass-100-VRS.html?tp=102

Stage Two will be HU and external components that allow you to keep your HU but add other equipment. As there are a number of new things out (that even I have my eye on) I want to do more research before I post this. Plus too much will bore you to death.

Hope this helps,

EE:thumbup: Please PM questions (for greater detail) with regard to each stage as posted

See less See more
Reactions: Adolfo_e83
#163 ·
Haven't forgotten. Sat night is research and development night.

#165 · (Edited)
Aural Excitement

Alexish, I would go with the EQX.

It seems to cover the full gambit. In fact I wasnt aware of that model and may pick one up when I get my new toy.

This is perfect for keeping the original head unit and then converting over to several amps to feed a 3 way set up. If you want I will come up with a rough diagram for you and post it for all?

IE:

Full range - doors
Mid bass - under seats
Sub - rear hatch area

The pdx to feed full range and mono sub and another simple amp to feed mid bass which you could do mono or stereo. I chose stereo as there is enough seperation in musical output in the 125Hz- 800 Hz to hear the difference.

How you tune it and what speakers you use I can only tell you what I like. And hearing is like finger prints. No two people are the same.

ps. jealous of the video as I have never had the time to do it. I just put in a new set of SPS-410's today and they sound great. yeah yeah I blew the sps-400's I had in there, but Sonicelectronix replaced them under warranty. Very Cool.

#166 · (Edited)
Eqx

Hi EE,

I've used the EQX a long time ago in the late 80s. It's a neat piece. I fed it with a pink noice generator and used the EQ to get as close to flat as I can but bumped up the low end as the lows tend to get drowned out by road noise.

What I'd like to know, is the spkr out from the e83 head unit full range, because I think the EQX mainly has a pair of spkr inputs and probably not a summing function as lc6i. Do you know.

I'd love to see your diagram on how you would wire this.

I thought I read somewhere that there was a wee amp that comes stock to drive the mid bass, so I'd leave that alone if I can to conserve resources (aka money), and just feed the front or rear spkr level to the EQX. a niggling feeling behind my head wants to use the lc6i to clean up the signals to feed the EQX irregardless, but the pocketbook is objecting.

alex

#167 ·
Hi EE,

I've used the EQX a long time ago in the late 80s. It's a neat piece. I fed it with a pink noice generator and used the EQ to get as close to flat as I can but bumped up the low end as the lows tend to get drowned out by road noise.

What I'd like to know, is the spkr out from the e83 head unit full range, because I think the EQX mainly has a pair of spkr inputs and probably not a summing function as lc6i. Do you know.

I'd love to see your diagram on how you would wire this.

I thought I read somewhere that there was a wee amp that comes stock to drive the mid bass, so I'd leave that alone if I can to conserve resources (aka money), and just feed the front or rear spkr level to the EQX. a niggling feeling behind my head wants to use the lc6i to clean up the signals to feed the EQX irregardless, but the pocketbook is objecting.

alex
The speakers under the front seat are really not that bad. Its the amp that is crud. So I wouldn't cost cut there. I powered them with a seperate Alpine until I got the Boston Acoustic 10 inch and that is when I did the three way crossover set up. Mind you I am using an Alpine HU.

I am not sure what the output of the e83 is as and to test it I would have to bench it with a 12 volt and set up a test rig. Sorry, but house is on the market and making a mess is not an option right now.

#168 ·
I have had the Earthquake SWS-8X's sitting ready for install for some time and finally got round to it. They dropped right in - no dremmel work was required ie there are no protrusions in my housing like in the example threads on this topic. Just for the heck of it I ran them from the standard head unit but no good - even with maximum bass boost in the head unit. They are 4 ohm like the 6 inchers I removed but sensitivity is way down as I kinda expected.

So I installed the Focal Solid 2 amp I had also bought. Cripes what a difference. I have a good hint now what is possible. The Focal is running at near minimum gain and low pass filtered at 150Hz seems the best balance to date. I need to listen to the new setup for a while - see what else needs to be done.

#169 ·
I have had the Earthquake SWS-8X's sitting ready for install for some time and finally got round to it. They dropped right in - no dremmel work was required ie there are no protrusions in my housing like in the example threads on this topic. Just for the heck of it I ran them from the standard head unit but no good - even with maximum bass boost in the head unit. They are 4 ohm like the 6 inchers I removed but sensitivity is way down as I kinda expected.

So I installed the Focal Solid 2 amp I had also bought. Cripes what a difference. I have a good hint now what is possible. The Focal is running at near minimum gain and low pass filtered at 150Hz seems the best balance to date. I need to listen to the new setup for a while - see what else needs to be done.
Once again I am vindicated. Keep telling folks that this sound system in our X3's sells the consumer short.

Now throw in a small processor that lets you tweek for frequency roll off and some time and you will wonder why you waited so long.

Did you take any pics? I ask because DW and your post indicate 6 inch speakers, but I know I measured correctly and they are 8 in mine. The other interesting point is the mid subs BMW supplied me where rated at 2 ohms. Even though the door are 4 ohms.

#171 ·
The existing sub look like they might be 8 inch until you turn them over, cheating swines.

The EarthQuakes drop right in with no modifications. Note no plastic ridges where the SWS need to sit.

Clearance for cone extension might be an issue but as I will driving them from 50W RMS only I doubt the cone will extend the 1.25 inch required to hit the metal supports over the cavity - and I doubt I am even hitting them with 50W. With what I can get out of them in the current un-tuned state - there is really no need for any other subs - but personal taste I guess.

I fabricated a timber mount for the AMP that bolts down using the trailer light module lugs. The cut outs are to give and much free air as possible for cooling in such a confined space.

The speaker wiring is not heavy duty - but again - 50w RMS is all I am using.

The FOCAL does not have a subsonic filter just a selectable high pass or low pass or all range switch and the cutoff adjustment for m50 to 150 Hz. I am running low pass at 150Hz at present. I selected the focal as I am running high level input and auto switch on using the high level input - less wiring to run.

Evlengr, I would like to play with a sound processor but as I am using high level inputs I suspect I have little scope here. If you have any recommendations that will using high level inputs please advise.

Deafwish, I am using the stock cavity - I have not blocked the ports . . . yet.

To do. Will probably end up running the AMP in all pass and using it to drive the subs via a 600mH inductor and the front doors speakers via the stock in line capacitor leaving the rears running from the existing head unit.

For those considering it - there is really no need to upgrade the rear door speakers if you have the stock business CD - save some money. The wiring in the car means that the subs are in parallel with the front speakers only so to get any base in the stock system you will running with the fader set to front most of the time anyway. ie rear doors speakers on low level for "fill" only.

#173 · (Edited)
It gets better. Vacation time is tinker time :)

Dynamatted the under seat sub enclosures to death and blocked the ports. Much much better.

Removed the capacitors that are in series with the front speakers - caps are in the side storage in the trunk wrapped in foam btw.

At full head unit volume the bass now overpowers the Alpine 410s. ie audible distortion in bass from the poor little blighters.

Added the capacitors back but increased them to 300uF (bipolar cross over caps) to get a low frequency roll off about where the under seat subs are cutting in. Can now run at full head unit volume with no distortion and no reverb. Very crisp bass with good punch to the midriff. Heck of a difference to stock.

Summary to date:

• Replace the front door speakers with Alpine 410s (not the rear - leave as stock)
  • Replace the under seat sub with earthquake SWS-8X (4 ohm)
  • Dynamat the enclosures and seal the ports (with dynamat)
  • Add focal solid 2 amp in the hidden area under the floor in the trunk to run the subs. Use the high level speaker lines from the stock subs as input to get auto power on/off. Set to low pass with rollofff at 150 Hz. Set to approx 25% gain.
  • Replace the capacitors in series with the front door speakers with 300uF crossover caps - caps are located in the side access hatch in the trunk.

I have ordered an Alpine PXE650 for further trimming. Will be interesting. e.g. will need another 4 channel amp to run the front door speakers and the rear door speakers to be able to use the PXE to best effect.

#175 ·
Anyone ever do true measurements of rear clearance on the front speakers? Crutchfield has Boston SE45's on sale right now, and if they fit, I'm making the move. I've had BA speakers in most of my cars, and I'd love to do the same in my recently acquired '07 X3. I like the way those Earthquake subs fit right into the stock "enclosures," I think I'll be doing a simple system of four 4" coaxes and a pair of those 8's running low midbass and semi-sub. Should be fine as an upgrade over stock, which I've quickly grown to dislike!

#176 ·
2 and 1/8 is the most, but that is not the real issue. The size (diameter) of the magnet is the thing that is hard to measure. There is a gentle slope to the metal directly behind the speaker placement.

I know these will fit:

Alpine SPS-400 and 410

Infinity Kappa series (older ones) with neodymium magnet.

Focal v100 low profiles.

I have heard the BA will fit (very snug) but fit. I can't say for certain as they do use a very large magnet. BA's are my favorite sounding speaker so I would go for it if you can return them in exchange for the Alpine's are they are close in sound to BA. Not harsh but nice even tone and very good imaging for their price point.

That will be a very nice set up.

PS nice to see people taking this step. 4 years ago when I first mentioned changing the sound system in the X3 I was considered some sort of Pariah and lots of negative comments. Now I see many people realizing they can do so much better for very little money.

#177 ·
Good to hear some others have tried the Boston's, I'm also considering a set of Rockford Fosgate's. Knowing that there are some reliable 2nd options out there, I'd just as soon try out some other speakers to see if we can increase the number of "known-good" configurations. If they don't work, then at least we know, and I know I can fall back on others to move forward.

I had read some of the older threads about stereo upgrades, and it baffles me the mentality of some folks who think that something that increases the enjoyment of your vehicle as much as improving the stereo does is somehow some kind of blasphemy in a BMW. It's just a car, right? I'm with you though - give me something that's worth listening to! I've never kept the stereo stock in any car I'v ever owned.

#189 ·
I'm also considering a set of Rockford Fosgate's. Knowing that there are some reliable 2nd options out there, I'd just as soon try out some other speakers to see if we can increase the number of "known-good" configurations. If they don't work, then at least we know, and I know I can fall back on others to move forward.
So I can say from unfortunate experience that the Rockford Fosgate 4" coaxes do NOT fit. Their frames have a great mounting set up that matches the stock BMW speaker bolt pattern, but the extra mount points hit on the tweeter housing and the bolt holes would need drilled out. Neither are huge issues, but I'm trying to avoid too much extra work just to fit speakers. Also, the cones are pretty big, and the speaker surround would be crushed by the plastic mounting hole - would basically suffocate the speaker's ability to move, stifling any proper response. I didn't think to take pics, and the car is back together now. Just suffice to say they don't work without customization, and I would doubt they're a speaker that's worth the extra work when other (probably better) speakers are already proven to drop in.

Soooo, it's on to trying something else. Something more "traditional" for a 4" coax.

Now is when I really get disappointed that "car stereo shops" don't exist like they used to. I'd love to go LISTEN to some speakers and see what I do and don't like. 15 years ago this was no problem, there were plenty of independent shops with speaker displays, now it's about impossible. The only game in town is friggin Best Buy, they only have Pioneer 4", and then the display doesn't even work right!

I don't necessary dislike alpine (which has been recommended a bunch here), but they've never been my favorite, either. Still, I would suppose anything is better than the stock junk I just had to re-install into the car, huh?

#191 ·
heres some pics of what i did....very hard to take pics and do the work...especially when you get so caught up in it and forget to take pics lol sorry

Attachments

#192 ·
Betcha' it sounds ten times better. :thumbup:

Did you get a nice laugh when you saw what BMW was passing off as speakers?

#194 ·
Saw it in the picture. Makes it so much easier to put thing back to oem when selling.

I know can you believe that a world class vehicle could put a speaker like that in any car.

#199 · (Edited)
Question on sub and amp

Hi, open question to anyone who can help...

I want to replace the subs with a pair of sws-8xi, which I believe are 2 ohms impedance.
I have an old 5 channel alpine amp (MRV-F353) that I want to deploy.

The 4 channels will naturally drive the 4 door speakers, but the mono 5th channel is rated at 150w at 4 ohm (14.4 V). I am planning on wiring the 2 earthquakes in series to achieve the 4 ohm. Is this advisable? will it get loud enough, I have read here that the 8xi are not that efficient.

Any advise/opinion would be welcome.

alex

#200 ·
Wiring up your SWS' in that tiny enclosure will be more of a midbass than a subwoofer - in it's frequency response.
If you can spare the room, get a 10" sub that efficiently works in a tiny enclosure (e.g. Rainbow Hammer in 0.5cu ft nett) and place it in the boot.
The output should be a night & day difference!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.