BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rumor: BMW M750i and 728i launching March 2013

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  186697 
#1 ·
Looks like things are going to get interesting for the 7er next year. I'm actually attending a 7 series LCI launch event tomorrow, I'll see if any BMW reps want to give me more details on the 750iM.

The BMW 7 Series just received its mid-cycle facelift which includes visual and power upgrades, but a rumor is pointing to additional engines in early 2013. According to our sister-magazine BimmerToday, the Munich-based automaker plans to launch two additional 7 Series badges in March of next year.

One of them, the previously rumored M Performance variant of the 7 Series, M750i. The MPA model will join the other M-tuned vehicles that launch in the last year, M550d, X5 M50d, X6 M50d and M135i. The BMW M750i will cater to customers that are looking for the ideal blend between a luxury sedan with an aggressive look and sporty ride. The rumormill churns out that the engine of choice is likely to be a V8 TwinTurbo with a 4.4 liter displacement and increased power output - 450 horsepower.

The xDrive system could also be offered as an option.

The question remains on how different will the M750i is going to be when compared to a regular 750i treated with the M Sport package? As seen with the other M Performance Automobiles, the new M-tuned models stand out through their superior chassis and driving dynamics. If and when it goes on sale, the M750i will be priced above the 750i model, but certainly below the 760Li flagship.

At the lower end of the engine range, BMW is preparing a new surprise. In an effort to match the competitors' offerings, the Bavarians are looking to offer a 728i model with a four-cylinder engine. The engine of choice would be the N20B20 2.0 liter four-cylinder unit, but likely assisted by an electric motor, as Audi offers in their A8 hybrid. In addition to the 245 hp of the N20, the small electric motor will not only increase performance but also reduce fuel consumption significantly, and delimit the new entry-level engine in the BMW 728i from the 740i.

As we have learned recently, there is a new push in Germany by large corporations that require the company's cars to be considerate of CO2 emissions and fuel consumption, and a 728i model could become the executives' new darling.

For the time being, we're labeling this as rumors, until a second confirmation reaches our ears. Stay tuned!

http://www.bimmertoday.de/2012/09/2...-m-performance-7er-vierzylinder-2013-f01-f02/

See less See more
#2 ·
If BMW follows any of their new model, engine changes and LCI patterns...there should be NO changes in March 2013 for the 7 Series. Since 2009 they've already added Regenerative Braking, 8 speed transmission and now for this late Summer 2012...the official LCI with 100's and 100's of changes!

#3 · (Edited)
Wow, I really hope they won't offer the 728 in the States. Other markets maybe, but I don't think American will buy a 4 cycl 7er. The 730I I sat in back in Asian country was slow enough.

And experienced the 2.0 turbo in the 3 and 5 series, while I was impressed with the power, but the refinement and sound is way below 7 series standard.

#4 · (Edited)
I was having some reservations about buying a 6 in a flagship, but I won't buy a 4, ever. That's just too much car for not enough engine IMO. I test drove it and was surprised it was as quick as it is.

The N54 is perfectly adequate but any further significant drop in power will make this thing a dog, mine is quick - it feels like the advertised 0-60 in 6sec. But less power?? Even assisted with an electric motor, I don't know, if I couldn't swing a 740 I'd have just gone the CPO or leased a 535 and ticked every option.

#5 ·
you guys have been spoiled by lower gas prices for ages now :D

#6 ·
100% true. EVERY TIME I hear someone in the USA complaining about gas or diesel prices...I either laugh, or tell them how spoiled they are. When I go back to Germany or Sweden or Switzerland (immediate family in all 3 places)...I am reminded right away that our gas is CHEAP in the USA!! Even when we hit a little over $5.00/gallon here in California, I never moaned or complained, because that is still cheap compared with most other countries in the world!!

#7 ·
Yes - gas is cheap. Even at $20 a gallon it's cheap. The only thing cheaper than gas is water and electricity.

I look at it this way. For $4, the price of a burger, fries and coke, a gallon of gas will move 5000lbs 20 miles. Would you push your car 20 miles in return for burger, fries and a coke?

#9 ·
Haha, we get those out here too. But they tend to be lifted, with off-road wheels (that most likely never have seen anything but asphalt) and take up 2 parking spots.

Enjoy your 9mpg tard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.