BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Audi 4.2 swap?

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  edjack 
#1 ·
Could this be easier than the LS swap? I would think the electronics would match up easier and it should be easier to bolt up to the ZF tranny's too.

#4 ·
Well what do mean by newer? I think audi used the same 4.2 V8 until 2005. It has the chain at the back of the engine which means dropping the engine+transmission to do timing job on it. Any newer engine than that and the electronics are going to be a major PITA.

#5 · (Edited)
Thats a whacky idea.

The older Audi big V8's arent bad but the newer ones have a long-term maintenance nightmare issue surrounding fact that cam chains are on the back of the motor. Imagine exact same M62/S62 chain rattle problems but the motor has to be pulled to get to them at the back Those motors are great until you get to that problem... Of course if you were swapping you could deal with it then and maybe get a cheap deal on a bad one from somebody who doesnt want to dump the $5k to fix it.

The earlier 4.2s from C5 S6's and D2 S8's arent as bad and yes use the exact same ZF as the 540 except in awd form. Has a few more ponies than the M62 (340 i want to say off top of my head) but still tons of effort for small returns (and some would say BMW typically underrates the M62 so its less difference than it appears). Nice motors though.

And electronics would be completely different so huge wiring task either way. Both run flavors of motronic like every german car but youd have quite a task to sort out all the wiring still...

Yeah it fer sure wouldnt be my first call... The LS makes so much more sense - everything cheaper and way way more parts out there for them. Unless you just really want to be different....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.