BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Another fair comparison (pic)

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  HW 
#1 ·
Full size image: http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/data/2/16407e90sedan_e46coupe.jpg

Different lighting, different viewing height, different number of doors, different wheels, same logo. All in all, the fairest comparison I can imagine! One successfully combines elegance, poise, and a sporty character, while the other -- I will let you decide which one -- is, shall we say, conflicted... I understand if you :rolleyes: and :confused:. After all, this is another pointless photoshop! :D :flush: :yawn:

See less See more
#2 ·
they both look good but one is starting to look dated even w/ the facelift. i think it's only the e46 3er and some jags that still uses the early 90's style bumper-to-fender transitions that cuts horizontally straight across.

#4 ·
I think I like them both in those pics. My biggest beef with the new one is, well, the big-ness of it.

The picture posted yesterday of the 5 generations lined up made the e90 look round and bloated, but this profile shot doesn't look bad too me.

#6 ·
Sean said:
Hmm...it looks lke the E90 will be harder to see out of the rear than the E46 and the E36.
Great idea for yet another electronic gizmo. Rear-view cameras like some cars now are coming with. It could be incorporated with the i-drive screen! Maybe it could be a super-heavy camera and add another 100lbs. :thumbup:

#8 ·
Rob325_in_AZ said:
Great idea for yet another electronic gizmo. Rear-view cameras like some cars now are coming with. It could be incorporated with the i-drive screen! Maybe it could be a super-heavy camera and add another 100lbs. :thumbup:
Rear and front view cameras are already in the options list here. :eeps:

#9 ·
Rob325_in_AZ said:
I think I like them both in those pics. My biggest beef with the new one is, well, the big-ness of it.
I was reading the new Roundel and one columnist mentioned that he wanted the 3er to be wider because he felt it was too small. If you want a bigger car, get a 5er. I bought my 330 because I don't want a big car.

#10 · (Edited)
vehigal said:
Full size image: http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/data/2/16407e90sedan_e46coupe.jpg

Different lighting, different viewing height, different number of doors, different wheels, same logo. All in all, the fairest comparison I can imagine! One successfully combines elegance, poise, and a sporty character, while the other -- I will let you decide which one -- is, shall we say, conflicted... I understand if you :rolleyes: and :confused:. After all, this is another pointless photoshop! :D :flush: :yawn:

Wow, and it evolved from 2 doors to 4 doors :p

#15 ·
#16 ·
icemanjs4 said:
It's funny, the E46 looks like a cat in stride. The E90 looks like a cat, hunched backwards on its rears getting ready to pounce. Both look nice in that picture, but the front end (side profile) of the E46 is just CLASSIC BMW. Nothign will ever touch the look of that short overhang and styling.
Interesting analogy you've made. :)

The short overhang helps keep the weight distribution at a perfect 50/50 (Front/Rear) and IS a classic BMW style.

#17 ·
The side view of the rear bumper reminds me of the Acura TL and TSX. The E46s stepped front and rear bumpers joined by a full length crease along the side are history. I don't know if I like the look of the new style integrated bumpers but they're here to stay. Stepped bumpers won't be making a comeback anytime soon.

#18 ·
Alex Baumann said:
Rear and front view cameras are already in the options list here. :eeps:
Why would you need a front view camera?
a) So you can look down to see what is in front of you
b) To avoid having to remove your sun screen from the windshield
c) Because you can't tell how close you are to that car in front of you

Does it automatically qualify you for handicap parking spaces ?

#19 ·
ezracerx said:
Why would you need a front view camera?
a) So you can look down to see what is in front of you
b) To avoid having to remove your sun screen from the windshield
c) Because you can't tell how close you are to that car in front of you

Does it automatically qualify you for handicap parking spaces ?
I think Alex is one of many in Germany that like to drive with their hood up. This allows for that. ;)

#20 ·
numbersguy said:
The side view of the rear bumper reminds me of the Acura TL and TSX. The E46s stepped front and rear bumpers joined by a full length crease along the side are history. I don't know if I like the look of the new style integrated bumpers but they're here to stay. Stepped bumpers won't be making a comeback anytime soon.
i think the bmw 3er is one of the last to use the "stepped bumpers". also if you notice, the gapping on the stepped bumpers are much wider than the "integrated styled" bumpers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.