BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1998 740il Purchase

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Rajht 
#1 ·
Looking at a 2 owner car with right at 100k. Anything to look out for? I had a 02 525 & just sold my 03 745Li but not familiar with this style of 7 series. Do these have the O ring problem at the coolant crossover pipe like the 02 & up 7's?
Thanks! :thumbup:

#2 ·
These E38's are well built machines. I have had what I would call routine mechanical problems due to age and wear. No serious oil leaks or O-ring problems such as the 02-03 7's are known to have. You should be checking the valley pan gaskets for oil leaks. This is common in this model. It is a easy DIY job if you are mechanically inclined.

Also www.E38.org is the best DIY online instruction website that I have come across. You will find about every problem & repair known to the E38's on this site.

Good Luck

#3 ·
after owning my E38, i've found that most parts are cheaper than other BMW models. they are well built and have timeless styling. for the IL, make sure the suspension is in good shape as the IL has an adaptive suspension. but it can be converted to a traditional suspension. look it over well, make sure to drive it. not just around the block but drive it a few miles and see how well it really runs. i love my E38, its been a wonderful car so far.

#4 ·
Im going up to test drive it this Sunday. Owner says he has a complete service history from when the car was new. Hes the second owner and the first was his old business partner.

Radiator was replaced
Front brakes
alignment
battery
valve cover gaskets
oil pan gasket
tires are 50%
Comes with 18" sport wheels & stock wheels with all seasons also 50%

The dash has some pixels out. Dealer quoted $750. :confused:

If it tests out that everything is in good shape and its a healthy car what would be a good offer to make him?

#6 ·
I rescheduled to view and test drive the car today. Has service reciepts from new. It has a few recommended service items from BMW. Transmission service $525. Fuel filter $178. Differential $95, Cabin filters & Fuel Injector service $204.All other services are up to date.

Car runs well and looks very nice. Normal sratches and some small scuffs here and there, nothing really noticeable. Interior is almost perfect with the exception of the wood/plastic shifter surround being warped and cracked from heat. All accesories work, has nav, cold weather package, window shades. Engine bay is extremely clean and no leaks or any weird sounds etc. Plenty of power.

All in all, I liked it enough to buy it. The M Parallels look outstanding on the car. Asking price was $8000. We settled on $6750.

How many of those service items can I do at home on my Kwiklift?

#8 · (Edited)
Yea that sounds like a very good price for a one owner with that kind of miles. I just purchased my first e38 a few days ago and the funny thing is it reminds me of my very first Beemer.....an 85 E32 735i. Clock was not even working at 156K but it was as smooth as silk and could do 100MPH like it was doing 60. Seems at least up to this generation Beemer really did put the best into build quality into the sevens. My brother, a car salesman, told me something once and I have found it to be true. When you test drive a car......drive the he** out of it and then when you return let it idle.....if it has issues or leaks trust me you will see it.

I have seen it in cars he has purchased a 7 series can do 200K+ easy if decently cared for. On a side note I just found this forum by accident why doesn't it have a link from the main forum?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.