BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

(No Hitch) Rear Mount Bike Rack Pic's

80K views 77 replies 42 participants last post by  Marwan 
#1 ·
Here is some pic's for those who care. It only takes a minute to setup or remove this bike rack. I really like it except for the fact that it only holds 2 bikes. The 3rd bike option does not work. I hope BMW fixes this soon.

Rack part number 82 71 0 443 424

3rd bike option (does not work) 82 71 0 307 770

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Great pics. Thanks.

A few more questions:

1. How solid does the rack feel with two bikes on it?
2. In your opinion, does this rack look like it's designed to be put on the car permanently? In other words, if it's not designed to be put on and then taken off repeatedly, could there be any damage if I do so, even though that's easily done in one minute?
3. Did you buy the rack from BMW through the dealership, and are you aware of any other potentially cheaper vendor that carries it? I searched for it online and was not too successful finding it other than at BMW.

I'm really considering this rack and had all these questions about it that I couldn't find answers to online, and surely not at my dealership, so I'm extremely glad I came across your postings about this rack.

Thanks again. I tremendously appreciate your help.

#64 · (Edited)
Finally installed the rack and then loaded our 2 bikes and then test drove it. Thoughts/opinions to follow. Answers below in bold.

Great pics. Thanks.

A few more questions:

1. How solid does the rack feel with two bikes on it?

Perfectly solid in my opinion. The whole rack and the bikes shook a little bit when I hit a pothole, but the longer I drove, and the faster I went, the more confident I felt that the bikes were supported solidly.

2. In your opinion, does this rack look like it's designed to be put on the car permanently?

In my opinion, no. The rack consumes a LOT of additional rear space, which in my opinion makes it even more challenging to park and/or safely reverse the vehicle. Also, when the rack is installed, the rear camera sensor is disengaged. So I'm extremely careful when backing the vehicle with the rack and bikes loaded.

In other words, if it's not designed to be put on and then taken off repeatedly, could there be any damage if I do so, even though that's easily done in one minute?

I'm not convinced that even a "mechanically inclined" person can install/uninstall the rack "in one minute."

It takes longer than that for me (I'm not mechanically inclined, and I've only installed the rack twice; so it took me about 30 minutes. The next time will be even easier, though).

Re: damage, just use common sense and I think you'll be fine. Read the owner's manual and slowly and deliberately practice loading the rack and the bikes. Removing the tow covers is easy, but at first I was very nervous about scraping or scratching them. Best way I like to remove the tow covers is to use my fingers--i.e. no screwdrivers or tools. And be sure to place a towel on the ground directly below--they can get scratched when (not if) they fall to the ground. And one other thing: keep the tow covers protected and stored while not in use. The dealer installed my rack initially and lost the tow covers. It was a PAIN to get the dealership to send me new ones at zero cost, since they tried to say I "mislocated" them. They cost the dealership about $100 to replace. Treat them like an expensive pair of sunglasses! The rack itself is extremely easy and pretty much self-explanatory. Once you screw it into the tow outlets, it's very difficult to mess anything up.

3. Did you buy the rack from BMW through the dealership, and are you aware of any other potentially cheaper vendor that carries it? I searched for it online and was not too successful finding it other than at BMW.

The rack seems to be highly proprietary and limited as to buyability. Our BMW sales guy threw it in as part of the negotiation process. We asked him if he could throw in a bike rack for zero cost, and that's how we got it. I had no idea how expensive or well-built the rack was until I started researching it (after our X5 purchase). T

he only way I can personally think to acquire the rack cheaper is to find one pre-owned.

I'm really considering this rack and had all these questions about it that I couldn't find answers to online, and surely not at my dealership, so I'm extremely glad I came across your postings about this rack.

Thanks again. I tremendously appreciate your help.

#65 ·
In my opinion this is a great rack, but not the best for "frequent" removal/install. I imagine the rack itself can be stored in the rear cargo area of my X5, but it would take up a LOT of room and would be cumbersome at best when doing loading/unloading it into the car. So in my opinion this rack has to be stored in a garage, where it takes up a LOT of room.

Just think about it: if you want something durable and "burglar-proof", then you wouldn't expect it to be 100% easy right? It takes SOME effort.

#5 ·
I just got this rack as a birthday gift from my wife. $499 + tax from the local BMW dealership. I will be trying it starting today and do NOT intend to have it on the car permanently, so I will post soon about the frequent install/remove issue after I've done that a few times. I did get me a 10 mm Hex bit with a ratchet for easier installation and removal. The provided Allen key is a bit of a pain to use.

#8 ·
Hi, I have a 2011 X5 on order, and I am looking into rear bicycle rack options.

I am also interested in knowing how easy it is to install and remove, i.e. for occasional weekend use, and if the installation process causes any damage or wear?

Any updates?

P.

#14 ·
I'm happy to say that after a few months of use now, I find the rack to be almost flawless. Extremely easy to install and remove. Now that I'm used to doing it, it takes me about a minute. I do use a ratchet with a 10 mm Hex bit however (similar to pics in OP), not the provided Allen key.

I don't think frequent installation and removal should cause any damage if done properly. I pop the eye socket covers with my fingers (no need for any tool). The way to do that is to push inward on the bottom half of the cover first. That exposes the upper lip enough to be easily grabbed by a finger and pulled out. As mentioned previously, the only damage I could see occurring during installation or removal of the rack is by accidentally scratching the bumper.

In short, if you don't have a hitch and don't want to install one, and don't care for roof mounting of your bike, this rack is the solution. It is rock solid, lockable, easy to install and remove, and slides backward (even with bike/s mounted) to allow both upper and lower cargo bay area doors be opened. I say it is almost flawless and not just flawless because of the following issues (none of which is a deal breaker in my opinion):

1. Price. This is by no means a steal.
2. Weight. It is a relatively heavy rack which made installing it a bit challenging the first few times I did it. It is definitely not an issue for me anymore now that I got the hang of it. I can see, however, how this might be a problem for some people. Of course, getting someone to help you with it makes this a moot point.
3. The provided Allen key. While it works, it is not practical and it will take much longer to install and remove the rack if you use it. Just get a ratchet and a 10mm Hex bit from Sears and you're set.

Would be happy to answer any other questions about this rack.

#11 ·
I just got this rack for my 2011 35d. It fits perfectly, its the same rack for the 2010 and 2011. Holds the bikes securely. There is a weight limit of 15kg (about 33lbs) per a bike, which should fit most mountain bikes.

I spent a lot of time looking at roof racks and determined the car was just too tall and i would hate the noise. I was certainly not cutting a hole in my bumper for a hitch.

I paid $425 with a 15% off coupon. Google BMW coupons, they are dealership specific.

#13 ·
I have not been using the rack enough to comment on frequent usage wear and tear, but i do not see any reason why there would be. It slides right into the towing eyelets w/o touching the bumper or any other exterior part of the car. I guess every time you take the rack in or out there is a chance to nick the bumper with the piece the screws into the eyelets if you are not careful. It is easy enough to do your self, but even simpler if someone helps you.

The only place i can imagine you would get wear is on the eyelet covers when removing them. I just used a screw driver covered with a soft cloth or a piece of latex from a rubber glove. This may seem like common sense, but i didn't realize; you insert the screw driver into the top part of the cap (not under the arrow on the bottom).

I got my rack in the port chester, ny area, but they had to order b/c it doesn't seem like any one stocks this item.

It a solid rack, everything locks on it... even the arms that attach to the frame have a locking mechanism so know one can walk off with your bike.

#68 · (Edited)
I have not been using the rack enough to comment on frequent usage wear and tear, but i do not see any reason why there would be. It slides right into the towing eyelets w/o touching the bumper or any other exterior part of the car. I guess every time you take the rack in or out there is a chance to nick the bumper with the piece the screws into the eyelets if you are not careful. It is easy enough to do your self, but even simpler if someone helps you.

The only place i can imagine you would get wear is on the eyelet covers when removing them. I just used a screw driver covered with a soft cloth or a piece of latex from a rubber glove. This may seem like common sense, but i didn't realize; you insert the screw driver into the top part of the cap (not under the arrow on the bottom).

It a solid rack, everything locks on it... even the arms that attach to the frame have a locking mechanism so know one can walk off with your bike.
Agree 100% with this. Except the part about using a screwdriver to remove the tow covers. My advice is, Use your fingers...light pressure. Place a towel on the ground directly below, because when you pop the covers out, they will fall to the ground and could easily get scratched.

#16 ·
Marwan, thanks for the excellent review!

I am about to get the rack, just went outside trying to remove the covers... I push the bottom part inward as you mention, but it didnt bulge much. I am affraid to apply too much pressure as it might break the covers' tabs... Any more details suggestion/advice on removal of covers?

How do you store the rack when not in use? Is there way to hang it on garage's wall without having it to take too much space?

Thx

#18 ·
The first time I opened the covers, I had to use a small screw driver. After that, I could just push the bottom in and the top jutted out slightly, but enough for me to be able to pull it out. The top of the cover goes out no more than a millimeter or two, but that's all you need to pull the cover out, with no tools needed whatsoever (see pics).

As for storage, I hang the rack on the garage wall using a pair of these ladder hooks I got from Sears for $12:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00912188000P?prdNo=82&blockNo=82&blockType=G82

The rack stays flush to the wall. I can even store the ratchet with the rack on these hooks (see pics). The beauty of these hooks is that they are rated to carry 40 lbs per pair when installed in DRYWALL! The rack weighs 26 lbs. So you can pretty much install them anywhere on a wall in the garage. You don't even need to locate studs. If you do install them in studs, a pair can carry 70 lbs (overkill for this rack).

Attachments

#22 ·
How far apart are the towing eyelets on a 2005 X5? The rack screws that go into those eyelets are movable to adjust the distance between them, but it's only over a limited range. I'll check the manual to see what that range is.

#23 ·
I've been looking at the pictures in detail. Does the thing basically slide back and forwards for you to open the trunk? I've seen pictures where it seems to dangle away from the car, and others where it's tight against the rear of the car. Does that curved slider have grease, ball bearings, or just rubbing metal? (or am I just not reading these pics right :) )

Think i'll order this rack today from the dealer and am excited to finally hit the trails without having to lay a tarp in the cabin. Funny - i got an X5 thinking I could fit everything inside. But my bike won't fit vertically even with the front wheel taken off (to stand it up like the X3 inside bike holder).

Thanks!

#69 ·
I've been looking at the pictures in detail. Does the thing basically slide back and forwards for you to open the trunk? I've seen pictures where it seems to dangle away from the car, and others where it's tight against the rear of the car. Does that curved slider have grease, ball bearings, or just rubbing metal? (or am I just not reading these pics right :) )
It has a button that you push down on while simultaneously pulling one of the bars toward you. This causes the rack to slide back, away enough from the vehicle so that the tailgate can clear--with OR without the bikes on.

All of this is illustrated and conveyed in the user's manual.

#25 ·
I just picked one of these up today for my road bikes. Thing works really well... very easy to install. Seems very sturdy with two bikes on it. It slides forward to allow the tailgate to drop and open. Even with two bikes on it I was able to slide it easily. It went onto the 2011 X5 perfectly while they include a few adjustment pieces to modify the width of the rack. Let me know if anyone else has any questions... I can post pictures with bikes on it if you'd like.

#27 ·
Just took delivery of a 2011 X3 and so far, accessories are limited for the new X3. I love the design of this bumper mounted bike rack and was wondering if someone could measure the distance between mounting points on the X5.

Hope they offer this option for the new X3 soon.

#31 ·
hitch mount

I had a hitch installed and purchased the bmw swingaway hitch from a bmw dealership on Ebay (only 275 compared to 425 list price - they have since raised to 300). Anyway, the swing away hitch is great. Carries up to 4 bikes, is very solid, has retractable locking cables and a locking pin for hitch. I believe it is made by thule. Anwyay, it definitely cost me more to install hitch and buy rack - total cost ~600 plus tax. Fortunately they didnt cut my sensors when installing the hitch. My SA recommended a local hitch company to install and they did great.

#32 ·
installation kit required?

I would like to buy this rack for my husband's birthday. Looks like the price is up to $621! Do I need to buy the installation kit ($63.50) as well? My husband has every tool imaginable, but not sure if the kit as other parts that are needed.

#71 ·
I would like to buy this rack for my husband's birthday. Looks like the price is up to $621! Do I need to buy the installation kit ($63.50) as well? My husband has every tool imaginable, but not sure if the kit as other parts that are needed.
No you do not need to an installation kit. Everything is provided (tools, etc.). However, I strongly agree that a rachet set would make install/removal quicker and easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.