BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear shock mounts

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  dprater2008 
#1 ·
I just bought some oe bilstien gas shocks for the rear of my car along with new rear shock mounts, with the washers to mount them. When I was looking at the new mounts themself, the rubber on the mounts were slightly different but everything else was exact same. Is their a certain side that one goes on? Maybe they are different brands? Would it make a difference at all? The rubber is just slightly taller on one and a tiny bit shallower. Vise versa on the other.

#7 ·
Weird. It looks like you got two different parts. They'll both fit fine, but perhaps you received an E36 mount and a reinforced E46 mount. :dunno: They should be the same, and there is no left & right (they're interchangeable), but you can still use these if you decide you don't want to send them back and get a matching pair. I'd send them back and make the company pay all shipping fees if it were me.

#10 ·
Yeah that was my original plan after I got them and realized they were not the same. Also the bilstien shocks I got are just the oe replacement. Are they considered the "touring" shocks? My shocks are far gone and I'm looking to bring it back to stock or slightly stiffer. So if these are the touring shocks they will go back as well

#13 ·
I plan on replacing the rear shock mounts no matter what when I replace the rear shocks, and when I do the fronts I'm going to replace the strut mounts along with the spring pads. Their is a clunk when I go over like speed bumps. I bought the car from my brother and he had replaced the passenger side control arm along with the bushing and that helped but made the sound more noticeable on the driver side. I'm going to just get a set of polyurethane and swap out new rubber bushing on the passenger side and the old worn out one on the driver side hopefully that will solve that problem. I can't wait to get it to go around corners like it should.

#14 ·
With things like that, it's usually a good habit to replace in pairs.

As long as the new passenger arm hasn't been on there too long it will be fine.

If you look on ebay FCPGroton(?) has pretty good deals on full front end rebuild kits.

#17 ·
Turns out that they were the same mounts after all. The guy at the parts store said that when they came in the bushing had to be pressed in and he put one in upside down. So problem solved. I should have the new shocks and mounts in today. If every goes as planned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.