BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to Reset Bluetooth?

160K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  JRW1979 
#1 ·
I recently upgrade my iphone 3G to iPhone3GS. When I try to pair it with my 09 X3. my iPhone doesn't see the BMW Bluetooth. I saw it once before but entered a wrong pin and since then the iPhone doesn't seem to find BMW bluetooth. I was thinking this might get resolved by doing some sort of reset on the BMW bluetooth module. Would appreciate your help.

G

#2 ·
I got mine to work by the following:

1. Key on
2. RT button on steering wheel depressed - looking for devices on radio display
3. Turn on Iphone 3GS
4. Key in BT code into phone
5. Voila! Done!

#3 ·
There is a way to delete all the paired phones from the BT system, I think it is in the phone manual. Let me check and I let you know.

#4 ·
Ok. The manual says that up to four phones can be paired at the same time, maybe you've reached the limit if more phones have been paired in the past and not deleted; therefore not taking a new phone. Try this to delete ALL devices:

1-Press and hold the button with the "speaking face"on the steering wheel, then after about three seconds, turn the ignition key to position 1 and release the button after aproximately 3 seconds. "BLUETOOTH PAIRING" appears on the display or monitor.

2-Press the button again for approx. 10 seconds until you hear a triple accoustic signal.
"PAIRED DEVICES DELETED" appears on the display or monitor.

3-To conclude the deleting process, turn the ignition key to position 0.

All the phones that were originally paired are now deleted.

#11 ·
I tried this process on my 2007 X3 without Nav, and it didn't work. It's the same process documented in my X3's Telephone addendum to the owner's manual. I did manage to pair a new phone without deleting the old ones, but the radio display never changed to the "BLUETOOTH PAIRING" mode. BMW's instructions truly suck!

Regards,
Steve

#5 ·
Thanks for the detailed instructions... I will try it.

I have a follow up question ..what happens if you pair 2 phones and they are all in the car, which one does the Bluetooth pick up? I remember in past I paired my wife's iPhone and then I was having an issue that the Bluetooth was pairing with her phone rather than mine when both the phones were in the car. I was under the impression that it would pick mine as that phone get's used more in the car.

#6 ·
Thanks for the detailed instructions... I will try it.

I have a follow up question ..what happens if you pair 2 phones and they are all in the car, which one does the Bluetooth pick up? I remember in past I paired my wife's iPhone and then I was having an issue that the Bluetooth was pairing with her phone rather than mine when both the phones were in the car. I was under the impression that it would pick mine as that phone get's used more in the car.
You bet.
Not sure what's the logic on that. I would assume that it will pick up the last used phone, but also could be the one that was paired first.
What i do when more than one paired phone is in the car, we turn BT off on the phone we don't want to use.

#13 ·
I have a 2004 X3.. my steering wheel has the RT button and the voice command button but none seem to work.. A friend told me that it could be possible that the steering wheel has these buttons but that the modules did not come with the car?? is this possible? how can i find out if i do have the modules... any help would be appreciated.

#14 ·
Your friend is right, but more importantly your description says you have an 04. Unless its a very late build month Bluetooth wasn't included in the 04.

You can check this easily by opening your trunk, looking to the left side and removing the cover (push lever on left side). If you have a BT module it will be silver and on the wheel well with a BT logo and a pairing code.

#17 ·
Need more info. Year? Navi? Etc.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#24 · (Edited)
most bmw x5 or others umpairing and repair phone

{just go the the truck on the right side there is a panel after removing panel u will c fuses below it tells u what fuse is for what. Pull out the one for telephone fuse pull out fuse 10 and 7.5 wait 10sec and put them back in. That's it the red light will come back on next to phone and the buttons on the steering wheel will begin to work. Begin the pair process type in pin and done} Hope this helps..this should work for all if not most mine is a BMW x5 .. Let me know

#22 ·
I can't enable Bluetooth from the I-Drive menu . When a push down on the I-Drive Knob to show the "Check Mark" to enable Bluetooth ,it won't high light displaying the check mark. I have a 2005 E60 525i, can someone give some help here and tell me what might be the issue here. Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.