BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Implications of the new iPhone 5 and the new lightening dock

8K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  Shaynernator 
#1 · (Edited)
I think the new iPhone 5 Lightening dock connector is going to have some significant impact on interfacing to BMWs. Both older MULF and Combox iphone interface cars.

Just a bit history. Originally the iPhone/USB functionality was provided by MULF2. This was used for both CCC and CIC vehicles. Then BMW introduced a new interface with artwork ... single cable connection, etc .. and that introduced "combox"

In any case, obviously it will have a impact on owners that are using the current cradles regardless of years. You won't be able to plug your new iPhone 5 in the cradle with the adapter apple is providing for backwards compatibility.

But beyond that for cars that use the MULF, a Y cable was used to interface the car to the iphone: I would expect this to no longer work, since lightening is a digital only interface ... and BMW used the analog audio outputs from the 30 pin connector. So that isn't going to work. It might control the iPhone, but you're not going to get any analog audio out of the iphone that the BMW can use. I guess you could use a 3.5mm cable from the iPhone headphone out to the BMW Aux jack .. and keep the y-cable for control. A possible workaround.

Combox cars would be ok, since it only uses the iPhone's digital interface .... however there is one exception. Plugin. That actually uses the analog audio out from the 30 pin ... but since that actually required the cradle (unless you did a 3rd party non cradle version) .. its a moot point.

In any case ... definitely will cause a headache for non-combox cars !!! Progress I guess.

** EDIT **

Apple have confirmed that the adapter does support analog audio out, so this should no longer be a issue

See less See more
#3 ·
I think BMW frankly doesn't have to worry with the current e70, as its EOL so frankly they would just make an oem adapter available. With the Next gen, they've probably put that in development to accommodate, and most LCIs will take care of the rest of the F-based cars.

Btw would not purchase an iPhone till the next iteration, since it's lacking compared some of the features of the S3.

In regards to the adapter, I'm guessing since most docks used the 30 pin to stream audio out, and the new adapter is suppose to Help accommodate the new dock to the old accessories, the current combox should be fine with the 5. However I'm guessing pretty soon, the per 5 devices are gonna be dropped from the next gen BMW combox, as their current no adapter to take the 30 pin to the new dock.

#6 · (Edited)
Just got confirmation, the 5 has no way of interfacing with current BMW tech that uses analog iPod out or video. Would require extensive reworking of the app, and interfaces. Bluetooth anyone?

What ideology do you use to purchase a BMW or any car or material possession? Interested to hear

#9 ·
Just got confirmation, the 5 has no way of interfacing with current BMW tech that uses analog iPod out or video. Would require extensive reworking of the app, and interfaces. Bluetooth anyone?
Can you provide a link to this confirmation? According to this, analog audio output *should* work fine using the Lightning > 30 pin adapter: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/lightning-30-pin-adapter-works-with-analog-audio-ipod-out-doe/

That should cover pre-Combox models that used the Y-cable.

#12 ·
Combox is a interface/smart module which pretty much handles all ur phone to idrive connection, BMW apps, and whole lot other features.

#13 ·
Is that the optional box that goes in the console that you snap in your phone?

#15 · (Edited)
The combox is physically located I believe underneath the front passenger seat. Not sure though. The phone cradle is what your referring to, that would be the primary interface between combox and phone

Edit: it's right rear trunk area

#16 ·
Thank you for your responses. I just purchased a CPO 2011 and was wondering if ours has the combox?

#19 ·
Apple have now clarified :

The Lightning to 30-pin adapter supports analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging, but does not support video output.

Therefore it will work fine with current and older BMW ipod interfaces (both MULF and Combox).

Since video output is not supported, this adapter will not work with Ipod Out. Therefore for all the folks that retrofitted Combox with iPod out, and didn't go for the cradle (there was a clever way of doing this through 3rd party vendors) ... you're be out of luck (for now at least).

For cradle users ... don't worry, a new cradle will be on the way for the Iphone 5. Expect it in Summer 2013 ... knowing how BMW are. Quite frankly, BMW need to just drop the whole notion of cradle. It provides so little value, its not worth the effort.

#22 ·
Love the first guy, he's like my iPhone 4s is totally different. I wonder whether he actually owns one or most just like the label and go for it?

#24 ·
I think BMW should try a modular architecture to the infotainment system. We have the performance products from BMW, they should also pioneer a tech products line.

What do I mean?

1) Make the navigation system a modular platform.
Individual pieces of the system are simple to install and get working. I would love to not have to regret not ticking the navigation option, and have it
installed later from BMW.

2) Remove the CRADLE and the BMW approved cabling
Its better to invest in some altered NFC based system. No cables no hassle. Backup and power would offer a USB jack, that can handle a smartphones
Integration.

3) Optimize APPs

#26 ·
GENIVI aims to provide a generic platform for infotainment in future vehicles that BMW and many other Manufacturers, OEMs and suppliers are part of. Like many of these alliances the jury is out if products will ever be released.

Next gen idrive is scheduled for 2014

#27 ·
I didn't see the point of spending the money for the iPhone snap in adaptor, so I've been running my iPhone with no issues plugged into the USB port in the center armrest. This provides USB audio, charging, and works just fine with BMW apps. Since the new lightning connector also supports USB audio and charging, I'm assuming that everything should work exactly the same with the 5 as it does currently with the 4S. As mentioned, only people using the snap in cradle should have issues, and I'm sure BMW will release something for the 5 soon enough.

#30 ·
Wouldn't use wifi highly unreliable in terms of establishing a secure, reliable connection. Something more along the lines of TramsferJet, or maybe NFC. With the advent of the incar 4g service, being standard kit, I think the best bet is too let the smartphone be only phone, while the car runs its own portable OS.

#34 ·
Hey guys, new guy here. I just got a used 2011 135i without iDrive, just the combox and bluetooth phone connect. I have an iPhone 5 and when I plug it into the USB it works for a while and sounds great and then completely crashes out my entire radio. It almost seems like it is shorting out my radio and then it resets after a minute. I went to the Apple store to see if it might be the phone, they couldn't really find anything wrong with it. The tech did mention that the iPhone 5 does put out more power... 12 volts? versus 10. When I plug in an iPhone 4S, it works fine all day with no issues.

Has anyone seen this? Could it be the combox?

I'm really kicking myself for not trying to find a 1 with iDrive in it. I'll probably end up at my local car audio place to figure out the best bluetooth adapter for the USB plug in.

#35 ·
Hey guys, new guy here. I just got a used 2011 135i without iDrive, just the combox and bluetooth phone connect. I have an iPhone 5 and when I plug it into the USB it works for a while and sounds great and then completely crashes out my entire radio. It almost seems like it is shorting out my radio and then it resets after a minute. I went to the Apple store to see if it might be the phone, they couldn't really find anything wrong with it. The tech did mention that the iPhone 5 does put out more power... 12 volts? versus 10. When I plug in an iPhone 4S, it works fine all day with no issues.

Has anyone seen this? Could it be the combox?

I'm really kicking myself for not trying to find a 1 with iDrive in it. I'll probably end up at my local car audio place to figure out the best bluetooth adapter for the USB plug in.
2 things you could try to narrow it down.

1. restore the phone back to factory settings and try again (if it works, then it was a phone issue)

2. use the old 4S sync cable and buy the dock-to-lightening adapter (if it works, then it was a cable issue)

If either doesn't work, then... I really don't know what to say

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.