BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bang and Olufsen settings

23K views 60 replies 20 participants last post by  Stealth.Pilot 
#1 ·
I have been tuning the Bang and Olufsen for max performance, and I now love the output. I find my settings are optimized for driving conditions as well so they take into account the background road noise (and engine and exhaust noise).

With these settings the fidelity is so good, that I find my system is worth every penny of the ~$3800 upgrade.

Would love to see the settings of other people if you want to share.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ive had a vibration coming from the right front speaker from time to time, depending on the tone of the sound coming out. I took it in and they heard it and said it was the door lock mechanism vibrating. It seemed fixed for a while and now its back but not as bad, but the left back door speaker does it off and on too. If I crank it up you cannot hear it. Have you had any issues like this?

#4 ·
No I haven't.

#5 ·
If you have not already done so,,, transfer a few songs from a CD onto the internal hard drive and listen to the difference. The system is amazing, seriously makes satellite radio sound like fm or very lo-fi. I want all of my music on the hard drive! It is even more clear that playing from a external phone or other device.

#8 ·
Interesting. Your settings are similar to mine but with more delta.

#9 ·
I had burned some CDs (not MP4s) on very high bit rate and then inserted the CD and moved them onto the disk. I have no idea why but the sound is seriously amazing. I would guess because they are not .mp4 like most phones have on them... with a cheaper sound system one would probably never be able to tell the difference. Just test it out and see what you think

#10 ·
I remember trying the Ls460 mark lev compared to my non mark lev GS and the music sounded completely different! It was amazing. Would love to hear the B&O system.

Actually stealth, how do you compare ML to B&O (since you had a Lexus).

#11 ·
The B&O is quite a bit better than the ML in my GS460. Bass is comparable but the highs, mods and overall sound staging in the B&O is better.

If I were to rate on a scale of 1-10

BMW Premium Logic7 = 5
Porsche Bose = 5.5
Lexus Mark Levinson = 7
BMW Bang and Olufsen = 10
Porsche Burmester = 10

#14 ·
I want to bump this thread. . . Maybe it should be a sticky for all the new B&O buyers coming out. I just got my 740 with B&O and remembered reading this thread, set my settings the way you guys did and haven't looked back, it blows it out of the water!! A good example (and I am using an iPhone 4S with BMW apps attached by my white USB cord) is after I set the B&O to these settings, I was playing a Frank Sinatra song (I'm 36 and love Ol' blue eyes!) and heard snapping... I started looking around the cabin thinking something was rattling, then I realized its Frank snapping his fingers in tune with the song. . . I have been listening to that song for 10+ years and never (no sh*tting anyone here), NEVER, heard that before having the B&O. . .

Thanks for sharing these settings all, I appreciate it, my ears appreciate it more, V/r, Tim

#15 ·
Hmm... rolling in a 7 Series, jamming Ol' Blue Eyes...are you sure your 36? :D

#16 ·
You guys are funny!

#18 ·
Right now I'm listen to malkemore thrift shop and this $hit is thumpin'

#19 ·
I don't have any clue as to what the hell that is, but if you ever want to borrow one of my Metallica CD's, just say the word. :D

#20 ·
Interestingly, those appear to be about what my settings are on the premium sound system, except that I put the fader a bit towards the rear. As you know, the B&O wasn't available on the 2012 f10, 535i. Glad you continue to enjoy the M5. Have you decided about the Tesla? I recall from a prior post you were considering getting one.

#22 ·
It does light up at night, all of the speakers have a halo of white light around them and the center speaker has white light shining onto it (bottom up I think), it looks pretty sick... I'll try and get pics tonight, V/r, Tim

#23 ·
Looks like you've found a nice response curve for the system! I see that the 200Hz band doesn't have much headroom left in it. Want to have the same sound but increase your headroom? Take the highest setting (bass in this instance) in each mode (basic, equalizer) and count the number of clicks to zero that band, then reduce all the other bands by the same number of clicks (this keeps everything relative). This will give you same sound but increase the headroom for those exceptional tracks that you've not heard yet.

#30 ·
My center channel and tweeters light up. The rest of the speakers do not. Where did you hear about a software fix?

#28 ·
I decided to go with the B&O after listening to it in the car I test drove. I have read reviews where some felt that it was better suited for classical and more relaxed music vs R&B, Rock, etc. Anyone care to comment on this? I didn't get much time to play with it in the car but based on what I heard I thought it was great so I included it in my build.

I listen to everything from AC/DC, Disturbed, Pearl Jam, Tool, T.I., Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, R. Kelly, Alicia Keys, etc so my tastes are all over the map - I love music. My guess is people probably haven't tweaked the stock settings much.

This is a great thread, bookmarked for future reference! Interested to see if there are updates on the lighting topic mentioned here.

#29 ·
Your taste in music is very similar to mine and all of the artists you mentioned are in my i tunes. I listened to the B+O and I thought it was great, but I could not see myself paying 3500-4500 for it. If it was 1500 I would buy it without question. I still have time to decide before I get my next daily beater.....

#36 · (Edited)
According to the M5 forum only the 6 & 7 series speakers all light up. On the M5 and other 5 series the center channel and tweeters are all that illuminates. Popoemt, i see that you have a 7 series, this would explain why all yours are illuminated

#38 ·
I don't quite understand these settings. How can boosting the gain on the amp across all options in the frequency range make for more accurate frequency response? Couldn't the same results be had by notching each down and turning the volume knob clock-wise an extra tick or two? Has anyone adjusted the EQ while actually calibrating for a flat frequency response in the F10 cabin? Just asking.

#42 · (Edited)
Reading a thread like this and given I'm an audiophile myself, I envy you guys you have such a rudimentary thing in any hi-fi system as the equalizer. Somebody had misled me before I configured my F10 that the difference between the standard and professional systems is negligible, so I stayed with the standard (B&O is terribly expensive here, so it was out of question anyway). Now it turns out that perhaps the main difference between the 2 lowest-level systems is that there is no equalizer in the standard hi-fi :( So I've been wondering whether it could be possible to enable it through coding?

Shawn, I can see you participating in this thread - what do you think? The price difference between the entry level and Pro systems is negligible, so it's quite possible all the hardware is the same; perhaps they only differ with the number of speakers but not the DSP ...:dunno:

#43 ·
I do not think you can code the EQ on standard hi-fi, as you need to have AMP_TOPHB - Top HiFi Amplifier/System module for that, or the B&O of course.

#45 ·
Did anyone get any information on the July update on enabling the lighting for all speakers in the F10?

#48 ·
Here's an update, BMW says that only the center and the front tweeters are suppose to light, not happy about that however, I did receive an update that increases the brightness on those speakers quite a bit... Now, they are very bright, So bright, that now I wish all of them would light up. Not what we all wanted, but better than it was.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#49 ·
Only with us BMW owners would there be complaints that the audio speakers do not light up correctly. What's next - the LED headlights do not sound very good ;)

#50 ·
Here's an update, BMW says that only the center and the front tweeters are suppose to light, not happy about that however, I did receive an update that increases the brightness on those speakers quite a bit... Now, they are very bright, So bright, that now I wish all of them would light up. Not what we all wanted, but better than it was.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.