BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

List Something You Discovered About Your Car AFTER You Bought It...

89K views 405 replies 156 participants last post by  dallz 
#1 ·
This should be both informative and fun. There's a great thread of this in the 5 forum.

I'll go first as I just learned something today...

1) I thought the microphone for voice commands was in the steering wheel and found out it's above the rearview mirror.

Also

2) I learned you can't use the backrest adjustment button unless the car door is open.

#85 ·
Sticking 30 is killing me

Today I had to drive at 30 driving me nuts these cars are meant for so much more lol

The other issue I have is when I stop for gas I get all these old men coming up to me saying what a lovely ride....Shame they are over 80

Ive joint a new gym today that has loads of police men in there so while Im working out Im going to do my best to impress and get some of them on side and work some female talents on them and ask them to unmark my car lol

I will not be pushed in to a caravan thats for sure would rather walk

Jade

#89 ·
Learned about BMW Search which lets you find addresses using Google and then click on the address to have the navigation system guide you to the destination. Search is also good to find the lowest price of gas close to where you are.

Seriously? IS that only 650's? Are you saying you are connected to the internet for no charge?

#91 ·
On most of the BMW with the new iDrive you can use a variation of Google search for finding a destination. The charge is part of the convenience package for the BMW equivalent of OnStar. The question to be asked - is it worth it? What you get is a slower connection to a not very smart Google - things have to be spelled correctly. There is no option like ... Did you mean to spell... The real benefit is to find places not in your navigation system.

It is a start to internet access. It is not there yet.

#90 ·
you run a real risk of spending more time waxing and cleaning it than driving it (during the winter)...

#95 ·
i have to hook it up to a battery charger if I don't drive it for a week.. kinda lame if you think about it... but better safe than having to pay for a new battery

#111 ·
Interesting..

What did you have to do to hook your iPhone up to the car. Is it simply plug and play with the iPod integration kit? Does all of your audio from your iPhone work as good as Pandora. For example.. I love the NYC radio stations and listen to them thru their own specific app or iHeart radio. I also LOVE the ESPN app and listen to its Fantasy Football podcast.

Thanks in advance!

#115 ·
Just bought my first bmw. A 645ci. A week ago I would have never thought I would be driving this beast of a machine. I have to change my boxers after every drive. It did not however come with a owners manual and I'm lost with all the gadgets. Anybody have an extra ? How about the nav. dvd ? Car poor now and out of clean boxers. 2005 645ci

#116 ·
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

you can download the manual online.

BMW assumes you will read the manual... (they do in Europe)... there are things about this bavarian car that are non-standard with how we are used to in the US...

example is opening the trunk with the key fob... it only opens after you release the button (after it was pressed for about 2-3 secs)...

there is a thread here listing a lot of little things... spend some time reading through it since it's got a lot of good info there...

welcome and have fun... don't snap your passengers head when accelerating (in sport mode)... tell them to brace before you stomp on that gas... the torque on this thing is insane... :D

#126 ·
Hey Hey Hey! WE ALL HAVE GOOD TASTES!! :rofl:

#122 ·
I discovered after kind of being broken into that my car doenst have the security alarm, so either the alarm sensor is naft or something serious missing, the car wasnt actually broken into, i suspect i must have left the car unlocked on my drive, but the audacity of the thief to attmept was significantly worrying, however, I still havent fixe the alarm, need to make it a priority.........lol.

And the worst of all I discovered which I believe a lot of 6ser owners would have too, the rear windows dont bloody open, no thats a real fury for the one sitting in the rear, especially if he/she is a smoker, no wonder why i found lot ash in the rear seats. Cupholder should be standard, storage compartment in the car is appalling compare to other coupes I have owned, but not accustomed to it. On the positives, the engine growl is better than sex.....lol

#130 ·
I learned that you don't have to buy a special non-slip matt for your trunk. Just flip over the one you have and viola, the back of the matt is rubberized.

#132 ·
I have learned that sometimes when I get a call on my iphone, while standing in my kitchen and I can't seem to hear anything = my car is still running and the Bluetooth is still connected. :confused: Seriously, it has happened to me 2x. I pressed the button to turn the engine off and I either did not do it for long enough, or deep enough. The car is so quiet (or I am so deaf) that I have missed that it was still running. Door will still lock just fine.

Next, I've learned that the automatic shifter (and in general many other buttons and switches on the car) is like an advanced airplane's autopilot. You give it a command, then you have to see and verify that it actually acknowledged and is executing that command. I.e. every time I move the automatic gear lever I have to look at the reading either on the dash or on the lever to make sure it is in D or R.

Then I've learned that once in a while (I am still in the dark about this) when I get out of the car, and shut the door, the car will lock on its own and even beep. I have also learned that this behavior can't be reproduced at the dealer. Perhaps this is normal and the dealer has no clue. Perhaps right now I should look into the manual and read up on it. (I will after this post.)

I've also learned that after driving for 20 years, you can't get used to reading your speed off of the HUD even though you are already looking at it, you will still peak inside on the dash. :dunno:

Finally, I have learned that the park sensor on the front must be turned on manually, and I learned that this is a good thing.

But the one thing I have really learned, is that I have never had anything that came close to this car. :)

Good thread! :thumbup:

#134 ·
I learned that if you lightly place your finger over one of the favorites buttons your favorites tabs will appear on the screen. I thought that theyonly appeared when you press a favorite button. I guess its good in case you don't remember which button a function is assigned to.

I also learned that the rear of the car lowers a little when I put the car in drive. I never noticed it until I was looking in my rear view

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.