BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Advice needed for new adventure!

7K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  John in VA 
#1 ·
My first car in 1981 when I was 18 years old was a 1973 2002. I bought it from a doctor that had bought it new. I drove it until 1985 when I bought a new 325e.

When I bought the 325e in 1985 I stored the 2002 in one of my parent's garages. In the 27 years that the car has sat in that garage I doubt if the garage door has even been raised 20 times.

The car is in overall excellent condition. During the 2 years I drove it being I had a miror accident in it and at the time decided just to repaint the entire car. It has somewhere around 135,000 miles on it.

In the next few weeks I'm going to have it put on a flatbed and brought the 2 hours to where I live. After a few weeks of tinkering with it in my drive I'm going to find a very reputible mechanic to get her road worthy again.

Any advice anybody has for me is appreciated!

Miles

PS Yep. I still got the 85 as well. Its not been on the road since 1991. It was 52k on it. It's also in great shape. It will be my next project.

See less See more
#2 ·
Drain the gas tank and put in a few gallons of fresh gas, change the fuel filter, change the oil & filter, make sure that there is enough water in the radiator, replace the battery, make sure that there is no mouse nest in the air filter, change the spark plugs, points, and condenser, put it in neutral, and see if it will start. If it runs OK, flush the radiator and put in new coolant. BMW antifreeze works well. Change the transmission and differential oil. Remove and replace the brake fluid in the reservior. Flush the brake fluid by bleeding the brakes and clutch. Replace the dry rotted tires. You should replace the brake, gas, and radiator hoses, and the belts.

#5 ·
Sorry for the slow response but I just now today got access to where it is. My folks couldn't locate the keys to the garage it's in. Like I said it's probably been 10 years since the door has even been opened. From quick look over everything looks good. I plan on having it transported the 2 hours to where I live in the next few weeks.

Attachments

#9 ·
So how is it going?

#10 ·
It's going great! Stopped by the shop where it is last Wednesday. Still looks to be a few more weeks out. Really looking forward to getting it back and tooling around in it.. So glad that 27 years ago I parked it instead of selling it. Wish I had pictures of it from the 3 years that I drove it. I have only 1 that isn't a very good one. I'll take plenty from here on out! ha I'll certainly post some pics when I get it back.

#12 ·
I appreciate your kind words. It's going to look even better when the fog lights I put on it 30 years ago are replaced with some hellers. Have had several people that comes across 2002's from time to time tell me that this is one is one of the most original 02's they have seen in a while.

It's gonna be almost as fun getting the 85 back on the road after being stored over 20 years. Hopefully this summer.

#13 ·
Update

I stopped by the shop about 10 days ago to check on the progress. Although things were progressing nicely at the time,they were waiting on some parts to arrive. Unfortunately the head is having to be replaced,but things could be worse I suppose.

I've been a banker all my working life and know little about engines and such. Ha! That being said,I have the upmost trust in my shop because of the things that they have revealed about the car that I remember from when I drove it.

Carrindustries.com in Greensboro.NC is the shop bring it back to life.They've been in business many years and was started by building 2002's for race track events.

Here are a few updated pics from my last visit. I hope to stop by the shop this coming week and will post my findings.

Attachments

#14 ·
Update

Stopped by to check on my hot rod today. Things are moving right along but not at a super fast pace. Being that the weather is not the greatest in the world I'm in no big hurry. They should having it running in the next day or two. I've decided against putting hellas on it. They have the ones off that I put on as a kid and I think I like it better just the way it is. Probably going to go ahead and have new carpet installed before I get it back. The carpet in it is in overall decent shape but shows some wear especially in the drivers floor.

Attachments

#16 ·
Excellent advise...especially since in the spare tire well there is a small amount of surface rust. Really looking forward to turning that key for the 1st time in 27+ years and hearing and feeling the engine come to life.

I appreciate your input!!

Miles

#17 ·
Wow!!

What a day!! My hot rod is about ready!! Got to drive it today! Wow! What a great feeling!! My time was kinda limited but drove her probably 7-8 miles. Drives supurb!! They're going to keep it about another week..put a few miles on it, install new carpet and make final adjustments. I didn't take a pic of the engine but I will and post next week along with a few more pics. One sweet ride! I'm blessed..in many ways!

Attachments

#18 ·
Update

About a week of waiting for the carpet to arrive picked my hot rod up...drove great going home..the next afternoon it wouldn't start...Grrrr!! Are you kidding me?? Oh well...bugs can be expected.

Got it back to the shop..and picked it back up the next day..it was a something in the carborator.

Everything been smooth since...drives like a dream...still waiting on the carpet..it's coming from Germany. We want to make sure it's an exact match to the original. Also waiting on touch up paint for some very minor nicks.

I come across info on the annual event held nearby in Winston Salem,NC..Vintage at the Vineyard..It's one of largest gatherings of vintyage BMW's in the country. The date this year is 5/24-5/26. Looks like a cool event to attend.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.