BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Convince the dealer to update my software

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  harrisfb 
#1 ·
I am taking my car into the dealer today, partly for routine maintenance and partly for issues I am having.

The routine is an oil change and rear brakes.

The issues are the exceedingly rough and sputtery starts that I have been having for the last few weeks. This can not be blamed on the cold weather as I store my car in a heated garage. Also twice since Saturday I have gotten a drivetrain malfunction while driving. I restart and it goes away, but obviously something is causing it.

While I have no doubt that they will find the issue and fix it, I also would like them to update my car to the most recent software update. I desire the update mostly because I would like to code my car to have telephone and entertainment in my HUD (see this forum: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642210) and I am unable to do so with my current software level. Yeah I know it will be a bitch to recode all the things I changed on my car and to have DinanS3 put back on my car, but for the added functionality in the HUD it is totally worth it to me.

Anyway, has anyone had success convincing their dealer/S.A. to upgrade their car software. What worked? What didn't? I am taking my car in about 3 hours, so any quick responses would be appreciated. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Generally a s/w update isn't done upon request except to correct a customer reported or known issue. So, IMHO, I'd ask them to correct the drive-ability issue - I assume there were check control messages stored when they happened. And if it's s/w related they may go ahead and apply any and all updates that are available for your car. That said, if they have to do that it generally requires most of, if not an entire day! BTW, I've made it a habit to take a picture of any iDrive reports / alerts that pop up. Having my phone handy makes that real easy and as we all know, a picture is worth a thousand words!

#3 ·
Yeah that is what the S.A. said. Usually it is not done by request because BMW does not like that as the DME can only be written to so many times. I did indeed take a pic of the error on the idrive with my phone, so you are right that always helps. He believed that the issue with the drivetrain malfunction and the hard starts was the fuel injectors, so they were going to have my car at least overnight anyway. He said if it called for an software update from that repair or for another reason it would be done. Anyway I kept pushing for it through our conversation and he kinda slipped with "If you just want it done it would cost about $190". My eyes perked up and I said, well that is fine with me, is that just for the time/labor? He kinda backed off from that but I ended with if it can be done for any reason, even at my cost, do it. They came out with these updates for a reason and I want them on my car. He seemed to understand.

#4 ·
The good news: I convinced my dealer to update my software.
The bad news: They crashed my cars computer when doing it.

Yep. So they were loading up the new software the first time and it froze. So they started the process over and it worked but it seems that it has bricked my iDrive display. They can't get it to turn back on. No big deal I guess, they will of course fix it in the end under warranty. It just means I am without my car for another day or two.

So they are leaving it battery disconnected overnight and if the iDrive does not fire up tomorrow they will replace the CCC (Car Communications Computer).

Funny thing is, this is not the first time my CCC has acted odd. The authorized shop that I had put Dinan on my car complained of the CCC acting wonky when they were loading it. They eventually got it loaded but said they had to attempt it a few times to get it to take. So maybe my CCC has been having trouble from day one and this just finally killed it? I have not personally experienced any issues while driving, it was just during the Dinan load and now this.

While I hate to cause extra work for my dealer I am glad that this is getting fixed if there is an actual issue. And in the end I will have a fully updated car.

Anyone else have experience with a messed up CCC from a routine upgrade or maintenance?

#6 ·
The good news: I convinced my dealer to update my software.
The bad news: They crashed my cars computer when doing it.

Yep. So they were loading up the new software the first time and it froze. So they started the process over and it worked but it seems that it has bricked my iDrive display. They can't get it to turn back on. No big deal I guess, they will of course fix it in the end under warranty. It just means I am without my car for another day or two.

So they are leaving it battery disconnected overnight and if the iDrive does not fire up tomorrow they will replace the CCC (Car Communications Computer).

Funny thing is, this is not the first time my CCC has acted odd. The authorized shop that I had put Dinan on my car complained of the CCC acting wonky when they were loading it. They eventually got it loaded but said they had to attempt it a few times to get it to take. So maybe my CCC has been having trouble from day one and this just finally killed it? I have not personally experienced any issues while driving, it was just during the Dinan load and now this.

While I hate to cause extra work for my dealer I am glad that this is getting fixed if there is an actual issue. And in the end I will have a fully updated car.

Anyone else have experience with a messed up CCC from a routine upgrade or maintenance?
Your car does not have CCC (those were the older NAV units). You either have the CIC or the NBT. Also, can you post the picture of the drivetrain malfunction?

Quite common. BMW really sucks at any thing electronic.

Just look at the complaints about the navigation, throttle, stereo, Bluetooth, HVAC,etc.

Coding a BMW is like getting a whore in Vegas. It seems like a good idea until the day after.
Programming and coding are two entirely different things. Usually the only chance of bricking a module is through programming (updating). Coding is simply just modifying the vehicles preset values.

#5 ·
Quite common. BMW really sucks at any thing electronic.

Just look at the complaints about the navigation, throttle, stereo, Bluetooth, HVAC,etc.

Coding a BMW is like getting a whore in Vegas. It seems like a good idea until the day after.

#9 ·
Yeah I knew that, just what my S.A. called it. I was not thinking.

Haha, no worries. Many of the S.A. have no clue what they're talking about. Please post the picture when you get a chance because I have seen others with similar issues so I want to see if yours is the same.

I think this is more than software. If you are getting malfunctions the dealer should be able to pull up the history of errors and determine what the issue is...
It may be software related. I have seen many with a chassis malfunction or a chassis stabilization issue (only on xDrive cars BTW) and a full vehicle software update fixed their issues.

#10 ·
I got my car back tonight and they were able to fix the rough starts/drivetrain malfunction with the new fuel injectors. And they were able to get my car to reboot after a night off of the battery.

The great news is that my car is now updated to the latest software release which now allows me to code the functionality I wanted in the HUD. Of course the downside is all of my other coding and Dinan were erased. But I coded it all back up tonight and have an appointment for the Dinan next week.

So now I have entertainment, incoming calls, recent call list and voice commands in my HUD!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.