BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sunroof Blues...

7K views 130 replies 25 participants last post by  Nevervana 
#1 ·
Biggest disappointment of the day for this soon to be 6 series owner.

Absolutely love the car in every way, shape, and form ... but ...

Sunroof doesn't open.

Unbelievable.

Any "mod" available for that?

I love having my sunroof actually open. Living here in San Diego where it was 81 degrees today.... in January ...

Very very very disappointed by this.

#78 ·
Analysis of The OC

:rofl:
Lawman-

First let me say there are plenty of asians in Irvine, the largest city in the
area called "South County" which is the most exclusive area of the county...Irvine is predominately asian so nobody in this area or any other nice South County area gets harrassed just because they are Asian...and especially if they are driving the official asian car of The OC... a Lexus RX330 SUV!

All you people can chill, I am not a racist...my badd ass litigator wife is Asian...

That being said, if you are a gang banger (asian) from Garden Grove and are driving a 1976 Mercury Monarch and are cruising through Newport or Irvine, the cops will be all over you so fast, heads would spin...That is why Irvine is the safest city in the USA, they
have 4000 cops for a community of 150K or so and they have nothing better to do than
drive away the riff raff....
:bang:

You are right about some tough areas in The OC, Garden Grove and many parts of Santa Ana, however they are not real close to the nice areas of the county so you dont have to pass them to get from one nice spot to the next...Laguna Beach to Newport Beach to Irvine
to San Clemente, there is no riff raff at all near those areas...The residents who live in the nice areas of the OC go north or south, they rarely go east of the 405 freeway, much less east of the 5 freeway...:eeps:

Not true in LA, you have to pass all kinds of riff raff to get anywhere...

Where is Riverside or San Bernadino??:rofl:

Just kidding, actually there is some great golfing in the inland empire, actual nice courses for under $100 per round:wow:

#79 ·
cobradav said:
Well one quick measurement says there is 28" of glass to put into 17" of steel (or aluminum) roof. Anybody see the problem?:dunno:
Then at the risk of getting this thread back on topic, I guess im screwed.

:bawling:

#80 ·
SoCal

Nevervana-

I am originally from Michigan so I share your sentiments- I moved out here
(San Diego) right after College and have not regretted one moment...

Personally, I love the Southern California lifestyle, but to each his own, I am sure that Oregon is beautiful and there are alot of happy people there:thumbup:

Cheers-
SD

#81 ·
What riff-raff? LA? Nah... we have no riff-raff that you speak of up here.

BTW, Irvine is safe not because of the great ratio but because they have very pro-active and aggressive tactics. I have many friends in Irvine who have experiences with their police. I hate to say it but around UCI, Asians do get pulled over quite a bit, although that may be a function of their prolific numbers at UCI.

#82 ·
Pulled over in The OC

Lawman-

When I do see asians pulled over it is usually the ones in their Fast 'n Furious Mitsubishi Eclipses or their lowered Honda Civics...:yikes:

Well you do have one very clear point, they often get pulled over 'cause they can't drive that well,
my wife being a prime example......"Honey I backed up into another car...again!"

It got so bad that we waited another 2 weeks so that we were sure to get an X-5 with
PDC (park distance control)...She hasn't backed up into anything since!:thumbup:

Cheers-
SD

#84 · (Edited)
Sorry bout that..

But Malibu-

So where do we draw the line...we can talk about women not letting us "touch their bewbs"
when we take them out to dinner in our 6er's, but I cant mention, being married to a Chinese women
that they are not the most talented behind the wheel...I am obviously not predjudiced, I married an asian...

Those *lines* seem a bit blurry to me...It could be said that the whole thread is *dissing* the entire female
population...I am only dissin the driving abilities of oh, lets say 8 Billion people....

It is just a little hypocritical counselor, would't you agree...

Cheers-
SD

#86 ·
Malibubimmer said:
I think we should be very careful about making comments about any racial or ethnic group. We should not do so, and I do not think the comment about Asians is appropriate. Most generalizations (except this one) are inaccurate and cause ill will.
Have you ever been to China and seen their driving habits, skills, etc.? I have been all over, north to south. Good skilled driving is absolutely not woven into the fabric of their society like it is in say the U.S. or the best example Germany. The Chinese simply don't fricken care, and it shows no matter which country they're driving in.....generally speaking of course!

#87 · (Edited)
MaxTimeOff said:
Have you ever been to China and seen their driving habits, skills, etc.? I have been all over, north to south. Good skilled driving is absolutely not woven into the fabric of their society like it is in say the U.S. or the best example Germany. The Chinese simply don't fricken care, and it shows no matter which country they're driving in.....generally speaking of course!
People in under developed countries don't seem to be as proficient as people from countries which have had a long tradition of automobiles. But it's not racial. We are talking here about Americans who may be of different racial ethnicities.

And, Skylar's Dad, I understand that you are married to a wonderful woman who happens to be Asian. But discrimination in the 1960s was often perpetrated by people who would begin a sentence by saying "Some of my best friends are ***** . . ."

Having been involved at the tail end of the Civil Rights movement I am sensitive to these things. Perhaps I am a Limousine Liberal, but I think we should keep ethnic stereotyping off the board. As for sexual stereotyping, I think men can make fun of each other, and women the same ("it'll be a cold day in hell when she pries the TV remote from my hands . . ."), but we need sensitivity there, too. I don't think the "touch the boobs" comment was stereotyping, just a little coarse (and very funny). And our distaff members took it with equanimity, too.

#88 · (Edited)
Malibubimmer said:
People in under developed countries don't seem to be as proficient as people from countries which have had a long tradition of automobiles. But it's not racial. We are talking here about Americans who may be of different racial ethnicities.
I completely agree that good or bad driving skills are not necessarily race related. Let's face it, the Chinese were a farming people just some 40 years ago, so it stands to reason that they have not developed to be as proficient at driving as more developed countries. I do however think it is reasonable to say in general that the Chinese race, at this point of time in history, are not the best of drivers, whether they be Chinese-American, Chinese-Canadian, or Chinese-Chinese. While not politically correct, and there are exceptions, this generalization is based in fact (as most are ), and is a fair and accurate generalization.

While I agree that we should be very careful about making comments about any racial or ethnic group. I think our society is over sensitized to racial issues. A good current example is racial profiling as it relates to terrorism.

#90 ·
I think it's a factor of culture and societal development more than race. After all, try driving in any non-American country and you'll see different patterns of driving. The funny thing is, no matter how crazy the drivers are overseas, they manage to avoid accidents too while Americans still crash with their proficiency in driving.

The Chinese are not farming up until 40 years ago. There are Chinese in many countries. The Chinese in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia, Philippines, etc. are mainly businessmen by and large and not farmers. Even in China's metropolitan areas, such as Shanghai, or Beijing, it's the same or more urbanized than most American cities.

My wife is Chinese and her family never farmed, even going back 3 generations to China. She also has uncanny skill in parking and manuevering her car in tight spaces. However, high speed skills still elude her a bit but that's more a function of the driving she does on a day-to-day basis. Her work commute is 3 miles each way, local only. She only drives highways to go to a mall or something like that.

#91 ·
lawman800 said:
The Chinese are not farming up until 40 years ago. There are Chinese in many countries. The Chinese in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia, Philippines, etc. are mainly businessmen by and large and not farmers. Even in China's metropolitan areas, such as Shanghai, or Beijing, it's the same or more urbanized than most American cities.
I am talking about the huge migration of population from the countryside farming areas to urbanized industrial areas in mainland China. The country is massively transforming itself during the industrial revolution currently underway. By and large, prior to this young revolution, the country was much more focused on farming than industry, but yes they have had industry for longer than 40 years.

#92 ·
MaxTimeOff said:
I am talking about the huge migration of population from the countryside farming areas to urbanized industrial areas in mainland China. The country is massively transforming itself during the industrial revolution currently underway. By and large, prior to this young revolution, the country was much more focused on farming than industry, but yes they have had industry for longer than 40 years.
And jacking up our gas prices!

#93 ·
I think China is consuming energy more rapidly and outpacing the US in consumption already. We are headed down a dangerous path when limited resources are being competed over by 2 superpowers....

#94 ·
I test drove a 6 coupe over the holidays, and absolutely loved it. Up here in the NE, I think the large glass moonroof is preferable to the cabrio, as it lets in a lot of light even when the weather is too cold to enjoy open motoring (I rarely drive with my sunroof open, though I always have the screen back so the light comes into the cabin of my 330xi). Moreover, unless you're driving a roadster, I've always felt that the angle of the windshield and the location of the header relative to the seats limits the open feeling in any event (one of the reasons I opted against a 330Cic last time). Some additional thoughts, for what they're worth . . . .

#95 ·
Skylar's Dad said:
Nevervana-

I am originally from Michigan so I share your sentiments- I moved out here
(San Diego) right after College and have not regretted one moment...

Personally, I love the Southern California lifestyle, but to each his own, I am sure that Oregon is beautiful and there are alot of happy people there:thumbup:

Cheers-
SD
SD,
what part of MI? I spent most of my childhood in Gross Pointe.

#96 · (Edited)
I love these threads....they are so off topic, (I contributed to that) everyone is carrying on their own discussion. Sort of reminds me of any Seinfeld episode :).

The dangerous path concept may be true, but remember, they need us as bad as we need them, for our lifetime I think. I used to be intimidated by China, but once you go there, you clearly see the number and magnitude of problems they face. They are just trying to improve their quality of life for the most part. They are very industrious and hard working, I have a lot of respect for them.

IMO, all of us will be long gone before the two superpowers collide, assuming of course we are still a superpower, which is probably unlikely. Historically speaking, we are living in a very fortunate and wealthy time here in the U.S. and that will probably change as it has throughout history. Remember, before WWII we were nothing. We had something like the 8th largest Navy in the world. There were some very small countries that were much stronger than us militarily.

Enjoy things while you can, these are wonderful times!!

#97 ·
MaxTimeOff said:
I love these threads....they are so off topic, (I contributed to that) everyone is carrying on their own discussion. Sort of reminds me of any Seinfeld episode :).

The dangerous path concept may be true, but remember, they need us as bad as we need them, for our lifetime I think. I used to be intimidated by China, but once you go there, you clearly see the number and magnitude of problems they face. They are just trying to improve their quality of life for the most part. They are very industrious and hard working, I have a lot of respect for them.
But lousy drivers!

#101 · (Edited)
Malibubimmer said:
Hydrogen is the answer.
I haven't heard enough about this idea to make a decision, but it's an interesting hypothesis. I ways taught, probably like most of us, that oil came from dinosaurs and plant material that died millions of years ago. Time, heat and pressure transformed their remains into oil.

Think about it, how many barrels of oil could you get from one brontosaurus - 5, 10? Say 10, but that's probably high considering their % body weight as water is like ours. Saudia Arabia alone pumps around 10 million barrels a day. That's 1 million BIG dinosaurs a day. The earth has proven reserves of about 2 trillion barrels. Add to that how much has been used over the past 100 years - how many freaking dinos were there?

The new theory goes that the earth produces oil abiotically - without animal/plant material. There has to be a source of carbon - maybe CO2 - who knows. Like I said, I haven't heard enough to make an intelligent decision, but the basic premise of too much oil, too few dinos sounds plausible. On the other hand, if this hypothesis is correct, why aren't the pumped out fields in Texas refilling?

Hydrogen is the most promising alternative, but that has serious problems, too. It must be produced via nonfossil energy (water, wind, solar, nuclear) and it's just so darned explosive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.