BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

new info on the E90 - hot off the press

4K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  bmw325 
#1 ·
#10 ·
Akakubi said:
M3 Wagon is my next car. That would solve many of my needs. :D
I'll take a 330iT turbo. :D

Edit: More likely, IMHO, is a 335i. I don't see any reason for a 3.0 turbo engine when BMW has the 3.6L V8 sitting around...

#11 ·
If it comes to market anything close to those drawings, I'll be very, very happy. It looks like a mini-E60, with the only changes being positive ones (and correcting the few problems I have with the E60 design).

Please, PLEASE don't ruin it, Bangle, or I will hunt you down! (although something tells me that the E90 will be his last attempt, and if it flops, so will his career.)

#12 ·
I am guessing that we won't be seeing any turbo on the gas engines in the near future (ie on the E90). (although there are lots of rumors about it)

On the other hand,the Development Director of BMW Group Mr Goschel stated that they are discussing the possibilities. :dunno:

#13 ·
If BMW wants to participate in the HP wars, they will have to bump the numbers quite a bit with the E90. The platform can accomodate a V8, but I wonder if that engine will be reserved for the M cars.

Now think about it, unless they enlarge the 3.0L to something like 3.3~3.5L (a bit too large for a inline 6 as far as packaging into a compact sedan), it would be very hard to get the HP numbers in the upper 200's-low 300's w/o stressing the engine too much (read reliability). So a low boost Turbo (8~9 PSI) is quite possible on a redone 3.0L lump, especially since the M cars are going to push ~400bhp.

Imagine tuning possibilities with the Turbo setup.... :D :bigpimp:

Though I am usually a NA guy, I would not mind having a well worked Turbo Bimmer.

#14 ·
I agree, but there are still reserves on the I6 engines. They can even go with small V8 (3.5 liter which came on the old 7).

But, BMW is working very hard on the lightweight technology. The first proof is the E60. Although the car is a few inches higher, wider and longer than its predecessor, it's about 70-75 kg lighter. And remember the car is full with extra stuff (even stock) compared to the E39.

You can achieve a lot with lightweight, more HP is always good, but not always neccessary.

#15 ·
Alex Baumann said:
I agree, but there are still reserves on the I6 engines. They can even go with small V8 (3.5 liter which came on the old 7).

But, BMW is working very hard on the lightweight technology. The first proof is the E60. Although the car is a few inches higher, wider and longer than its predecessor, it's about 70-75 kg lighter. And remember the car is full with extra stuff (even stock) compared to the E39.

You can achieve a lot with lightweight, more HP is always good, but not always neccessary.
I'd love to see lightweight technology making it into production cars even more.
I'd much rather have a lighter car than more HP. Acceleration figures would stay the same but chasis dynamics would be superior to competition.

#16 ·
Man, a M3T... If it happens, and if it makes it to the US, it would be hard to resist. OTOH a boosted wagon could be significantly less costly and would have the potential for Fun With Boost (tm). :D

#17 ·
Lightweight is great. I've heard BMW is working on integrating CF reinforced plastics into their new gen of cars. 6 series is supposedly going to benefit most from it.

But unless they reduce weight by 300~400lbs on a 3-er, it would still lag in the HP wars, even if they load the car with electronics and gimmics (not good for driving fun anyway).

Interesting development... :D

#18 ·
My wish list:
1. Don't screw anything up (I like it now)
2. 60 more BMW (large) horses
3. a little more interior room
4. a little bigger trunk
5. no added weight
6. no price increses
7. a little quieter (wind and tire) so you can hear more engine.
8. a better gps

#23 ·
Looks a lot like the e46 in profile, eh? I guess they've finally realized that they're never going to top the e46 in terms of styling (both interior and exterior). :)

Its almost like they enlarged the e46 and then tacked on a cartoonish front-end just to do something different. Hell, I'd be VERY happy if they just left the e46 styling and interior pretty much alone and concentrated on reducing weight, bumping up power wind noise, improving reliability, reducing rattles, addressing the few ergonomic shortcomings (use dials for both auto and manual climate control) and improve highway tracking. I guess that's not exciting enough for most people-- so throw in some newer generation electronics (to be competitive), paint the moldings, add that active steering system, make it a little bigger (since everyone's getting fatter) and they're done! Unfortunately, I think the big failing (for me) w/ the e90 will be the interior. If its another non-driver oriented, cheap looking, ergonomic mess like the e60, e65 and z4, I think i'll pass. Too bad they feel that they need to totally redesign what was nearly perfect just for the sake of change.

#25 ·
I was just wondering, instead of a booster I6 or slipping in the 3.5V8 why doesn't BMW look into a supercharger a la M-B...

Another question, why don't they work on an Inline 7 ? Is there a technical difficulty with odd numbers of cylinders? I seem to recall Acura having a sweet 5 cyl, and audi too if I'm not mistaken.

#26 ·
sshuit said:
I was just wondering, instead of a booster I6 or slipping in the 3.5V8 why doesn't BMW look into a supercharger a la M-B...

Another question, why don't they work on an Inline 7 ? Is there a technical difficulty with odd numbers of cylinders? I seem to recall Acura having a sweet 5 cyl, and audi too if I'm not mistaken.
AFAIK, the reason that BMW keeps the I6 around is due to the fact that it is one of the smoothest configurations out there... any bank of 6 cylinders is naturally balancing. That is why an I6 or a V12 is such a smooth engine. It is possible to artificially balance any other engine, but if BMW were going to go to the trouble to make an I7, why not just go to a V6, which would allow them to fit a bigger engine in the car. By adding that 7th cylinder on, you loose the main benefit of the I6, so at that point, you might as well change to a V6. :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.