BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New 35is 900 miles not sounding right

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  neve1064 
#1 ·
We are having gurgling and what sounds like tapping noises from the engine. At every stop we have filled up with super plus here in Europe. One time we were very low on fuel and I put a 1/8 of a tank in of super. Did this damage the engine?

#2 ·
I ran various brands of 95 -100 octane during our ED with no issue. I believe BMW recommends 95 Euro rating or 91-93 US rating and the computer will adjust even if you run something lower. It's not going to kill the engine. When does the engine make the noises, @ idle, getting off the throttle, accelerating,....?

#3 ·
Thank you, sir.

During idle mostly however yesterday I heard intermittent ticking from the cockpit dash during speeds of 30 to 60 mph. It seemed to be more noticeable when staying at a constant speed or when slowing down gradually. Today we have been driving with the top down so I can't tell.
I made a stereo recording with a portable recorder of start up today. I also did of start up at the welt so I have a comparison. Would you like to hear it
?

#4 · (Edited)
Thank you, sir.

During idle mostly however yesterday I heard intermittent ticking from the cockpit dash during speeds of 30 to 60 mph. It seemed to be more noticeable when staying at a constant speed or when slowing down gradually. Today we have been driving with the top down so I can't tell.
I made a stereo recording with a portable recorder of start up today. I also did of start up at the welt so I have a comparison. Would you like to hear it
?
N64 - Well if you could upload the sounds sure. Do you have any triangles showing in the center display? Checked the oil level? (no dipstick - electronic only via center display or NAV screen). If you're passing a BMW dealer along your route drop in and ask them to have a listen. You can usually find someone at the dealership that can speak english.

#5 ·
Valve tapping?

#6 ·
We just arrived home. Didn't have time to get it checked out although we did go to a BMW authorized service location near Reim, France in a town where Moët Chandon is located. We were excited to think we could have the oil changed while we toured the cellars. But the place was closed. It was Monday. Weird.

Anyway, ill up load the recordings for you all to hear. There was definately some gas the car didn't like for a while. It back fired a.few.times and she didnt sound good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.