BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New M5 owner.... Fantastic Car.. with a few issues

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  bluejayfan 
#1 ·
Hello all.. just took delivery of a 2013 M5...

Love the car, a couple of small issues....

1. I have a small rattle in the forward left part of the dash.
2. Slight vibration above 90 mph
3. This is a design issue and has been reported by CNet, and that is a vibration or buzzing coming through the steering wheel. Nothing I can do on this one, but it can be a bit annoying.

Just wondering what other owners are experiencing in terms of issues with their cars.

#2 ·
Picking up one this summer, can't answer your question, but there is not much activity by M5 owners here. Checkout bimmerpost.com or m5board.com if you have not already, you will have a better response.

#3 ·
Hello all.. just took delivery of a 2013 M5...

Love the car, a couple of small issues....

1. I have a small rattle in the forward left part of the dash.
2. Slight vibration above 90 mph
3. This is a design issue and has been reported by CNet, and that is a vibration or buzzing coming through the steering wheel. Nothing I can do on this one, but it can be a bit annoying.

Just wondering what other owners are experiencing in terms of issues with their cars.
I had a vibration above 90mph too. Alignment did not fix it. Replacing a defective Michelin tire fixed the problem.

I think CNET is wrong. The steering wheel in my car does not vibrate unless it is related to the blind spot warning or lane departure warning. Ie there is no systematic vibration.

#8 ·
I think CNET is wrong. The steering wheel in my car does not vibrate unless it is related to the blind spot warning or lane departure warning. Ie there is no systematic vibration.
Different kind of vibration.

In the 13's there was an issue with the steering rack (M6 & M5), that was corrected in the 14's. Europeans got it fixed, in the US you really have to push them, but they did fix a few.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses... I have an appointment on Wednesday .. So we will see what happens. I am hoping the vibration that I am feeling though the steering wheel is a tire issue but I don't think so. It feels like a motor that is running at a very high rpm is touching the steering column.... This is not like the vibration from ldw or blind spot....

#5 ·
Hey guys, I am new to the M models. Got my 2013 M5 and have few observations. First, my steering wheel is still fairly tough in comfort mode compared to normal F10 5 series. I was not sure if this is normal. I expected in Comfort mode it to be exactly the same as non-M 5 series, but I may be wrong. Recently drove loaner 5 series and steering was very soft.

Also, couple other things- the RPM occasionally starts acting up, in P position or in D1 when stopped at traffic. It disappears shortly, dealer could not reproduce the issue nor the computer kept any data. Few times during highway drives also a message popped up saying "drivetrain malfunction, reduced power etc etc". Any similar issues, fixes? Thanks much

#6 ·
I have not had any stearing issues with my 2013. I am starting to feel a little vibration during hard braking, hopefully this will lead to a free set of brakes at my next service.

#7 ·
There is a known issue with the vibration in the steering wheel above 80 mph / 130 kmph. I had my front control arms replaced with redesigned parts and the alignment checked under the measure and it's fine now.

Yes, the steering wheel is stiff in comfort mode compared to the F10 550 for example. The car also tracks more on roads with worn ruts but there's not much you can do about it. It's the nature of the beast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.