BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New owner questions

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  HerbP 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2006 650i convertible 2 weeks ago. It has 17,000 miles on it and from what I've been reading low mileage like that isn't too unusual with these cars. Obviously wasn't being used as someone's daily driver and was probably just their winters in Florida car. It will be my daily driver, but I put only 10k miles a year or less on the car. I purchased a 3rd party warranty through the dealer, $0 deductible, 3 years/36000 miles and also a tire and wheel insurance policy (never had run-flats before.)

The car has had all the required service done, but even though the mileage is low, it's still 6 years old, so I am going to have the cooling system flushed and refilled. Also will have the belts and hoses checked, but I expect those will be okay. Any other areas to be checked or PM that should be performed?

By the way, got quotes on flush and fill from 2 local indies and the dealer. Indie quotes were $128 and $162, dealer was $199! I'm going to use the dealer.

Seems like the best bet for iPhone integration is the stock BMW solution. Dealer will give me quote when I bring it in. Meanwhile using my 1 year free trial of Sirius. Any strong recommendations for other solutions? Also, does anyone else experience poor satellite reception? Where is the receiver mounted?

I plan to put wheels and an exhaust system on the car and will have more questions later.

Thanks,
Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats and welcome Mike!

Any other areas to be checked or PM that should be performed?
There is a thread on common problems on the e63/64 in this forum - you'll need to use the search function to find it.

Any strong recommendations for other solutions?
Some have used the Denison gateway (search for 'denison' to see all related threads. I used the Stock BMW Most adapter in my (then) '04 645 convertible.

Also, does anyone else experience poor satellite reception? Where is the receiver mounted?
In the convertibles, the antenna is mounted in the trunk lid. The only issues I've had were related to trees, buildings, etc blocking the satellite signal.

There is a ton of information and a bunch of great owners here that will jump in.

Again, welcome and congrats.

#3 ·
My local dealer replaced my whole radio system after I bought my car. After 3k on BMW's wallet, it still has poor reception. The SAT antenna is in the back lid of the trunk. Their last resort was to install an exterior antenna, which does not work any better. You learn to live with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.