BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Get missing dash pixels repaired by BMWNA (E39)

224K views 607 replies 258 participants last post by  2nd3series 
#1 ·
Guys,

Just wanted to give a followup on my success of getting BMWNA to pay for the pixel repair on my 2000 540i. For those of you contemplating getting them fixed and paying for it out of your pocket, contact BMWNA first. Basically BMWNA will pay for the parts, you will be responsible for the 1 hour of labor. Here is what you need to do:

First, send an email outlining your problem, something like:

I have a (Year & Model BMW) and a number of pixels in the instrument cluster either function sporadically or no longer function at all. Does BMWNA have a repair/replacement program in place for issues such as this?

(You don't have to type word for word, but you get the picture. ASK, don't demand!!)

Send the email to:

> Leonora Vlaovich
> Customer Relations Coordinator
> BMW of North America, LLC
> 201-573-7742 (phone)
> 201-930-8362 (fax)
> Leonora.Vlaovich@bmwna.com

She will in turn send you a response email asking for this information:

As coordinator for National Customer Relations, I will assign a representative to assist you; however, I need some additional information. Please respond to this email with the name and address on the registration, contact phone numbers, mileage to date, and the last 7 digits of the VIN.

Also, please identify your BMW dealer.

Thank you for your cooperation.

My assigned Rep from BMWNA was Brandi. She was very quick at contacting me and just had me make an appointment with a BMW dealer here in Dallas, I used Dallas BMW (Formerly John Roberts). She then contacted the service manager at the dealership and advised what BMWNA was handling. I dropped the car off in the morning and it was done by 3pm the same day. It cost me a whopping 90.00 bucks, and the DASH now looks great.

I hope this information can be useful to members on the board. Good luck!

Dave
fourwindsflight@yahoo.com
www.tail-wheel.com

See less See more
#535 ·
Here's what I got from calling the 800 number:

Dear : Mr.
Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2002 BMW 525i Sport Wagon. I was sorry to read of the concerns you have with the pixels on your vehicle's display.

So that we may assist with your inquiry, please provide us the following information:
-Name & address on the vehicle's registration
-Best phone numbers to reach you
-VIN#
-Mileage on vehicle
-Description of the problem on your vehicle
-Name of your BMW service center
-Has your BMW center diagnosed this problem?
-Are you the original owner?
-If not the original owner, is this the proper information to update you as the owner in our BMW system: customerrelations@bmwusa.com or FAX: 614-789-1992

If you have any further questions, please reply to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

Bryan.Rabell@bmwfs.com

#540 ·
I just recently fixed my X5 2001 cluster display and MID display in Toronto for 250cad per display. I found them on eBay, you can type in ebay search "bmw instrument display pixels repair" it seems they always have opened auctions. Before that I was trying to fix it myself but it helped for 3 weeks only then pixels started to dim again. They replaced flex ribbon inside units. Now is about 3 months and everything runs as new, they claim it to be perfect for another 5-7 years. At least BMW Canada didn't help me out as you guys in USA. Let's see!

#541 ·
Called the 800 number yesterday and talked with Brian. Gave him the usual information, vin, 2000 540IAS, 90,500 miles, 2nd owner CPO, and faxed in my registration. At first he wanted my registration, insurance and a bill of sale, but then said just needed the registration. He said to book an appointment with the dealer and he would contact them after researching my claim with the amount of coverage.

#543 ·
Update: got a call today from BMWNA new person who is researching my claim. he asked which pixels were bad and what percentage of the display was out. I told him 66%. He also asked again about ownership, I told him I was the second owner and bought it as a CPO. He told me I would here back in a couple of days.

#546 ·
Just got my Nav screen replaced (2004 325) by the dealer for $165. I followed the earlier recommendations - called BMWNA, they referred me to the dealer, the SA took a look at it, called me back and said they would supply the part if I paid the labor.

#547 ·
The order that you go through this process matters!!!

Having just scheduled the service visit to have the instrument cluster replaced on my 530i, I learned a few things that will hopefully help others going through this process. As of July 2009, BMWNA is still helping owners with the replacement of the instrument cluster pixel issue. As others have suggested, always remain courteous during the process, and if their offer is "less" than what you've read others have received, counter their offer, the worst they can say is no.

Here's where the process goes screwy for me. In the initial contact to BMWNA, I specified a dealership that is convenient to my home that I have had no contact with before as I recently purchased the car. After (eventually) being offered 100% on the part, I contacted the dealership for an estimate for the install. I was quoted $300+ for the install. Feeling that this was a bit steep based on other posts, I contacted 4 other "area" dealerships and got 4 different install costs (ranging from $120 - $190). Of course the one I specified is the most expensive...

I got back in touch with the BMWNA representative that I had been dealing with and asked to have the dealership changed to another one. As it turns out, (which my rep was unaware as well) apparently the goodwill replacement is more linked to the specific dealership than either of us thought. To have the location changed I would have needed to close the original case and open a new one that would be subject to "the market team @ BMWNA".

To save some money, contact several area dealerships and get an estimate for the install FIRST!!! Select the location and price that works for you and specify that location when asked by BMWNA.

I hope this helps somebody save some $$'s

#548 ·
A quick follow up to my previous post.

The cost to have the new cluster installed ended up being approx $220, down from the original $300+. There was no complaining on my end (but there was going to be). When I arrived for the service appointment I was informed that the price was lower than the original estimate... your guess is as good as mine exactly why.

While it was certainly nice to save $80 on the repair, it would have been nicer to have only paid $120, so do your research BEFORE contacting BMWNA.

#552 ·
Give us a call if BMW won't help you out, the total cost is over $300 or if you want a better warranty then what BMW will offer.

Our work is solid: We have fixed thousands of clusters and honestly have not seen one come back with missing pixels.

We can fix both the instrument cluster and MID radio displays for the e39 5 series, the e38 7 series and the e53 X5.

#554 ·
vdorepair, how do you guys work is it through the mail or do you have certain places you work through or is it one of those drive-for-hours-for-$100-fix type of deal because i live an hour away from the closest "large city" which is upwards of 100,000...

#555 ·
I just contacted BMW via email. We shall see if this still works, as I do not take no for an answer. I was kind an easy going, but asking me to pay $400 for something that others get for $150 will not fly.

If I don't hear back from them, I'll start calling.

#556 ·
Just had mine done at the dealer for $410.00 after paying for half the part ($295) and all the labor ($115)...and they even washed the car.

Mine's a recently purchased 3rd owner '03 530i with 108k that hasn't seen the inside of a dealer's service bay for quite some time.

I was happy with the result.

Now, on to the front control arms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.