BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Transmission sleeve leaking??

44K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  eyadlaymoun 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum. I did a search to see if anyone has done a transmission sleeve replacement for a 05 745li with no results. The service advisor at the dealership said it was a transmission sleeve that was leaking. I am looking to replace it my self if possible or maybe get a idea of how much this repair would cost. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
It's not so difficult to do - I did mine (2006 750LI). This link will help you

http://www.zftranspart.com/images/custom/mecha.pdf

As racerock mentions, you have to drop the pan - in which case you may as well change it. The filter is part of the pan. I would also change the transmission fluid. A couple of suggestions/recommendations

1. Make sure you remove/loosen the filler plug first. Otherwise, if you won't be able to get the transmission fluid back in - if you can't open it - you don't want to be stuck with the no transmission fluid.
2. Put some oil on the sealing sleeve - it's a real pain to get back in.

Here is BMW's TIS

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230005&d=1273726276

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I think I'm going to take on the challenge myself. I went to the dealership and talked to the mechanic who looked at my car and what do you know! It's a buddy of mine I used to work with at a different dealership. He told me if I need help he can help. So that makes me feel alot more comfortable (just in case). The links are awesome jbhoot! Thanks again

#5 ·
I just did this repair with the help of a buddy. One thing that didn't sufficiently arise in searches and DIY is the fact that improperly installing the wiring connector can cause damage to the mechatronic. There is a notch in the harness at about 5:00. This is an alignment notch that makes sure you don't damage the pins. A damaged pin may require a new mechatronic. Good luck.

#6 ·
What I did there is look very closely at the markings on the outside of the original one, and used sharpie to mark on the body where the mold mark lines up...

There are three mold marks and it you rotate your new one, and look closely at the numbers/lettering, you will see that one lines up with about 5 - 6 oclock on the outside. On the inside, there is a notch and I thought it ended up at 6, but it could have been 5.

Thing is that there is no way to look in there like the pix. Also - there is an alignment pin on the outside of the sleeve as well. It is small.

Lastly - use o-ring grease on the sleeve o-rings.

#13 ·
I buy the sleave yesterday, for about 17 euro.

The pan I didn't buy, it was 170 euro... So I only take the rubber gasket for the pan, this is leaking to I gues, because I have a lot of oil leaking.

#14 ·
If the pan is leaking, can you see it verry wel that it is the pan?

Because it is expansive I didn't buy it, I don't see damage to it... So it must be the sleave and the gasket of the pan...

#18 ·
Wow...It seems like almost everyone having to do the dang sleeve. I knew mine was seeping a little from there, so I used the brake cleaner to wash it off and one day last week, I brought it to AAMCO. They checked, cleaned and tightened all the pan bolts and seems to be ok now. Even after I first initially cleaned offf around the sleeve and later, I dodn't see any more leaks. Maybe no more in the tranny ? lol

#20 ·
Got Lucky with mechatronics sleeve repair

Took my 2006 750 Li in for its annual service. Was thinking about asking them to change tranny fluid since I was at 50K miles but decided to put it off. They called me and told me the mechatronics sleeve was leaking :cry: and it was fully covered under my aftermarket warranty :). I know the BMW instruction for this repair has them save the fluid drained for refill after the repair - however it appears they did a refill with fresh fluid since they billed the warranty company for the pan gasket, drain plug and Qty of 1 - BMW 83-22-0-142-516 20L which is the 20L container of tranny fluid. So it looks like I got my tranny fluid changed after all. Sometimes you get lucky!:thumbup:

#21 ·
Took my 2006 750 Li in for its annual service. Was thinking about asking them to change tranny fluid since I was at 50K miles but decided to put it off. They called me and told me the mechatronics sleeve was leaking :cry: and it was fully covered under my aftermarket warranty :). I know the BMW instruction for this repair has them save the fluid drained for refill after the repair - however it appears they did a refill with fresh fluid since they billed the warranty company for the pan gasket, drain plug and Qty of 1 - BMW 83-22-0-142-516 20L which is the 20L container of tranny fluid. So it looks like I got my tranny fluid changed after all. Sometimes you get lucky!:thumbup:
Thats why BMW claim there trans fluid lifetime

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.