BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ordered 550i w 6spd manual. Excited!

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Elmanzah 
#1 ·
I drove my 6spd 2001 540i to 175k so I can't wait to upgrade. This forum is great!

I ordered the executive package (along with the olufsen sound system), m sport package with adaptive drive and IAS. Not sure if I can wait 8 weeks! Lol

#3 ·
Thanks John. I went all out after holding back for years.

#6 ·
We had a recent 12" snow here in Iowa and my 550i (stick, rear wheel drive only) performed like a champ- absolutely no issues at all. I had installed winter tires on dedicated rims and it performed better than a 318xi (a/s tires) that I had for a few days. I am completely confident with a stick, rear wheel drive with true winter tires.

Best regards,

John S.

#5 ·
The way I think about it is this: It doesn't snow as often as it used to and if it does, the roads and highways are cleared out very quickly. I've done fine over the course of my driving life by switching out summer tires and winter tires as needed. The majority of the time, the roads are dry and that is why I don't feel I need the x drive.

Now, there are some that prefer the (initial) blistering acceleration off the line in either wet conditions or from as they turn. I enjoy that in my wife's x drive but at highway speeds, I feel more comfortable in a rear wheel drive. I really don't like automatic cars or whatever marketing term they are given these days. Grew up driving manual and it is just second nature to me. For real world reaction time, it can't be beat.

So in the end, if you are getting the x drive for snow, see my first paragraph but if you won't it for it superior performance in JUST those categories I mentioned then go for it. Not sure if that helps :)

#9 ·
I drove my 6spd 2001 540i to 175k so I can't wait to upgrade. This forum is great!

I ordered the executive package (along with the olufsen sound system), m sport package with adaptive drive and IAS. Not sure if I can wait 8 weeks! Lol
I have a 2012 550i with the stick - you're going to love it!!

John S.
Those of us with proper gear boxes never regret getting them :thumbup:

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the words of advice!

I think I'm going with the stick. Aside from the above, I was concened that the 5 series has developed a rep for insulating the driver from the road and worried that the automatic would only enhance that feeling.

Thanks again.
My first BMW was a 1966 1600 I had back in the 1980's.....it was a glorious 4 speed.......and I've also driven nothing but manual BMW's since Sept 2000 when I picked up my first shiny new 330Ci from Santa Barbara..............that being said, I think the F10 is way too big for a manual, the car is way too quiet (obviously an exhaust would help), the 1st gear is way too short, you get worse acceleration from a stop and to top it off you get worse mileage. I get around 20 mpg. I almost wish I could just start in 2nd gear as 1st you are only in for a split second and wasting time. Also keep in mind your right hand will constantly be fiddling around in that iDrive controller while driving and around stoplights/etc as well.

The new automatics are faster, better and more efficient now and there is no penalty in having one. This was marginally debatable with the E60 but there is absolutely no question about it now.

Now, if you are worried about Long Term ownership costs of a complicated automatic transmission, that is one thing, but if you think the manual is going to provide a "sports car" experience in a car this large, it won't. I am not trying to dissaude anyone from going for an MT, in what will be without question our last chance at getting a 5 series MT, just putting out some observations from someone who has driven nothing but MT BMW's.

This is my opinion, obviously, but I suggest you test drive new F10 with automatic first, then somehow a MT (find a newer 335 with the same transmission and pretend you are hauling 1,000 lbs in the trunk) before you jump.

#23 · (Edited)
I have to disagree. I did not get a 6 speed in my 550i "to provide a sports car experience". I came from a 2011 e92 M3 with DCT, and while I loved that car, it was just not a great daily driver when it came to extracting power and taking advantage of its handling ability. I don't think people that get the F10 with a 6 speed are trying to make it more of a sports car...they just like rowing gears (all of my cars were manuals before my M3 with DCT). Now if they offered DCT in the 550i, then I probably would have gone that route...but I just don't do automatics...no matter how far they have come.

#25 ·
I have to disagree. I did not get a 6 speed in my 550i "to provide a sports car experience". I came from a 2011 e92 M3 with DCT, and while I loved that car, it was just not a great daily driver when it came to extracting power and taking advantage of its handling ability. I don't think people that get the F10 with a 6 speed are trying to make it more of a sports car...they just like rowing gears (all of my cars were manuals before my M3 with DCT). Now if they offered DCT in the 550i, then I probably would have gone that route...but I just don't do automatics...no matter how far they have come.
Very well stated. I too didn't get the manual to make the F10 a sports, car - I got it because I like manual. I will admit that their was a time where I considered the Sport Auto, but then I saw all the threads about complaints and it put me over the top.

No regrets so far.

#13 ·
I too grew up with sticks but I have to ask you. Don't you ever get tired of shifting six times from each light around town? Or do u keep it in a low gear or skip gears (which is what I did sometimes when I was tired of doing 1-5 all the time.)

#14 ·
To be honest, in most cars I only use 6th on highways. Probably not very efficient of me, but I forget since 5th tends to have such good range.

If I am doing a lot of street driving I tend to start in 2nd and just go to 2,3,2,3,2, etc

As far as tired... to me its the norm so dont really notice it. The only thing I really hate is when I switch back into an automatic and I try and jam my left though the well. :mad: Damn that hurts..

#17 ·
Definitely will try to find one to test drive. My wife has a 2011 335i with MT and I love it but as you say the 5 series is a different animal. I will mention I had one of the last of the toyota 4 Runners with MT which obviosly is large and did not have problems with it in terms of performance.

#18 ·
Most of the time I got 1st to 3rd, 5th and 6th if I am fast enough or if the wheels are turning I go 2nd to 4th and then 6th. My brain hates traffic not because I have to shift often but because I hate sitting in traffic. I honestly never found my self hating the fact that I shift.

Driving an automatic on the other hand irks me because I can't predict (the same way I do with a manual) what dose of acceleration I am getting. It just doesn't feel right. So in the end I don't care if there is traffic or not.

#20 · (Edited)
Most of the time I got 1st to 3rd, 5th and 6th if I am fast enough or if the wheels are turning I go 2nd to 4th and then 6th. My brain hates traffic not because I have to shift often but because I hate sitting in traffic. I honestly never found my self hating the fact that I shift.

Driving an automatic on the other hand irks me because I can't predict (the same way I do with a manual) what dose of acceleration I am getting. It just doesn't feel right. So in the end I don't care if there is traffic or not.
Did you test drive the sports auto on an F10? It literally has nothing in common with any "auto" made before it.

Definitely will try to find one to test drive. My wife has a 2011 335i with MT and I love it but as you say the 5 series is a different animal. I will mention I had one of the last of the toyota 4 Runners with MT which obviosly is large and did not have problems with it in terms of performance.
I get all this but if you are getting NAV (or even if don't in my case) you will be in that iDrive all the time so keep that in mind.

#19 ·
It really comes down to this: I + MT am a much better driver than me + AT.

#21 ·
"Did you test drive the sports auto on an F10? It literally has nothing in common with any "auto" made before it."

I did when I test drove the 550i at the dealer. Now keep in mind, I am too polite to push the car enough to get a true sense of its capabilities. I find it rude to do that when I have a passenger let alone a sales person and with a car that ISN'T mine. So I couldn't really get a good sense. To be honest, I am probably biased towards manual because it is such second nature to me. I don't even think about it and I can tailor my driving style any way I want.

Now I left the test drive THOROUGHLY impressed. Remember however that my baseline is a 12 year old car so my baseline is pretty low (2001 540i 6 spd). My impressions after driving was how FAST AND civilized the car was. Yes it's larger and heavier but I too am at a point in my life where I want a greater dose of comfort without sacrificing sportiness. I feel this 5 has done EXACTLY that. I can only imagine how my car with IAS and DDC will feel like (both features missing from the test drive). Oh and by the way, the steering loading was horrid (but I forgive it given how awesome everything else) was.

#26 ·
Thank you all for the congrats. I will be posting pictures for sure. My order was placed on the 22nd and I was told today that it is now in production. I am hoping to have it in another 4 weeks. They offered I pick it up in Spartanburg SC but the earliest that would have been is 8 weeks from yesterday. I can't wait that long! Lol. It's going to be a local pickup for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.