BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Overheated Last Night, Not Happy

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Elias 
#1 ·
Last night on my way home from BMW of Sterling (had Sirius XM installed) in the middle of the current VA "snow event" my 135 overheated on I-66. The ONLY advance indication I received that a problem existed was the red over temp icon and a text message in the NAV telling me to immediately stop and turn the engine off. I then noticed a sudden loss of power and the ECU had placed the engine in "limp" mode. Needless to say it was very difficult and dangerous trying to get three lanes over to the shoulder during the height of rush hour in the middle of a near blizzard. Finally reaching the shoulder I turned the engine off and tried to contact BMW without success. So, i sat for 10 minutes and then re-started the engine. I exited I-66 and since I wasn't receiving another over temp indication I kept going and began looking for a safe place to stop and call BMW. I found a service station, shut the engine off and called again. I was put on hold for over 20 minutes and by now my cell phone charge was getting low so I angrily terminated the call, restarted the engine and headed for home. I got another five miles before the over temp light re-activated so I pulled off the road, tried to call BMW and again no help. Since I was close to home I sat for 10 minutes, restarted and limped home. I called BMW from home and finally got an SA who arranged to have my car towed this morning. Needless to say I've been in contact with BMW management throughout today.

Now that I've bored you all with this is there a problem with 135s overheating? I searched the archives and there doesn't seem to be one. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

See less See more
#3 ·
Malfunctioning water pump.

#4 ·
waterpump malfunction on bmws predates the e82, goes back to a minimum the e36. They're a known part that fails, usually around 75k mile mark. Some have it fail at 40k, some last 100k plus. it's a real crapshoot when it comes to bmw waterpumps.

personally, i would not have risked the continual cool down, drive again, limp, shut down cycle as you run the risk of blowing your headgasket. it sucks when you can't get through to BMW, but it never hurts to have additional roadside assistance through other parties, such as AAA.

#8 ·
Thanks, I take my cars to Advantage Certified in Manassas off Highway 28. They've worked on all my cars for many years and I've never had a problem with them. When my OEM warranty expires (about 9 months) and my extended warranty kicks in I'll give them the work.

#9 ·
I used to go there until I kept getting a $2k + bills the last three times I took my e46 in for some R&M work. Now I go to German Auto Group in Springfield, they do what is only necessary and only recommend things and are not pushy at all. I am very happy I made the change, I highly recommend them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.