BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW 530 KICKA$$ Sound Build!!!

12K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  6ICEMAN9 
#1 ·
I have a 06 530i with Logic 7 sound system. Everything sounded great but the bass lacked. So I bought Technic's harness , a sub and amp installed it and I had excellent bass but as you all know once you are bitten by this bug its really hard to stop.

So I started reading a lot of threads on sound builds for BMW's. Nelson's build on 530i and Kai's build on e90 stood out. I though to myself how would the system sound if I upgraded the under seat woofers. So then i got under seat woofers (as recommended by technic in some posts) but wasnt happy, So finally I gave in to the temptation and started scouring threads on DIYMA for some gear that I would be installing in my car. It took me about 3-4 months to hoard everything I would be installing.

Here we go

1> MoBridge M1000 MDA2 (To remove L7 amp completely)
2> JBL MS8
3> 5 x Hybrid Audio Technologie's L3se(2 front, 2 rear doors and 1 center)
4> 3 x HAT L2x crossovers
5> Rainbow Cal 25 silk SLC with Crossovers
6> Hybrid Audio Technologies L1 Pro (Rear shelf)
7> 1 x Morel Ultimo 12 (in a sealed box)
8> 2 x Arc Audio 4200 SE's
9> 2 x Audison LRx2.9 ( using only 1 now)
10> Audison SFD-41c Distribution Block
11> 8 x Knukoncepts Krystal RCA cables
12> Knukonceptz Kolossus 0 , 4 , 8 gauge power and ground cable
13> KnuKonceptz 0 Gauge Set Screw Ring Terminal Pair
14> KnuKonceotz Karma Kable 50' Twisted 12 Gauge Speaker Wire
14> Kicker SSMB8's (underseat)
15> Dynamat Bulk 36 sq ft (Dynamat the whole trunk)

and obviously Technic's harness

Here are some pics of the gear

Morel was installed in my car even before i started thinking about complete build.

GOT HIT WITH CUSTOMS FEE but after opening the box I couldn't stop smiling

Love at first sight

Tweeters are a tad bigger than the OEM

Rockford 4ga vs KnuKonceptz 4ga

Will Post installation pics soon

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice! Do a super clean install man!

#7 ·
Man this is my first install and honestly i went crazy trying to figure out where to mount all this stuff. I dont mind loosing my trunk space but I've had really bad luck with my old set of tires so even after changing them I didn't want to loose the spare. So I decided to just put a flush slim but big sub box with sub shooting through the ski port and then basically created a mdf wall to mount all the amps. Have loft half of my trunk :(

#3 ·
Last spring I bought the Mobridge and MS-8 as well and was going to connect them with Tru amps.
But once my Jehnert Flatline speaker upgrade went in I decided to just stay with that and focus on power mods instead.
I sold all the components on ebay. Maybe i'll get the bug again, but the Jehnerts are a huge improvement over stock speakers.

#8 ·
Jehnert flatline are just great. After purchasing all this stuff I was planning on buying the Door board system which is basically 2* 6.5 mid bass ,door speakers and tweeters but I just wanted the door board cover and 2 x 6.5 unfortunately the guy I got in touch with didn't sell them separately and I would have had to buy the whole package which I didn't need.

When I started setting up the sub , I had just installed the Sub and powered the stock under seat OEM's and the sub with Audison LRx2.9 and honest to god that was the best decision, Mid bass was tight and under seat oem's did play low, the only issue was I was giving them a lot more juice than they could handle and in few months i blew one up. I though about getting the Jehnert under seat woofers but they would have just been more expensive and are recommended to cross over 80hz.Well now I have got excellent midbass , still trying to tune the system properly

#9 ·
Honestly I stopped counting after I bought the L3se's. I can tell you this It took me over 4 months of planning the system and gathering all the stuff i am installing. I didn't buy all the stuff at once so never kept a track of how much I spent.

#10 ·
I hear ya man . Still trying to tune my system with this darn thing. There are just too many issues with ms8 installed in our cars. Some people have figured out how to tune it properly , I for one don't really care about the staging on the dash cuz most of the music I listen to is Hip hop , dance , trance , electronic , dubstep and sometimes some performances and rock. The good this is I have the option to turn logic 7 off in MS8.

To be absolutely honest with you, when I replaced all my speakers and underseat's and powered them with L7 , the sound was really good and I mean really good. The midbass wasn't as strong as with external amp but overall the system sounded nice and clean.
I thought It would get better when I get some more juice flowing into the speakers and woofers but I still haven't been able to get anywhere near what it was without the MS8.

Not saying that its a bad product but it definitely requires a lot of tuning and workarounds to get it to sound the way I like it.

#17 ·
Lookin good

#19 ·
nice!! would love to have that installed, So, I tried to install the jl stealth box in my 2008 550 w/ LOGIC 7 but it was going to require too much modding to make it fit, so now i am just thinking of Powering the the factory under the seat subs with a aftermarket amp any recommendations? and would it make a difference? i was going to try this http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Rockfor...7231937?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item25776a1941

#22 ·
It definitely would make a difference. RF amp is good but just be careful while setting up the gains. Oh and get a Harness from forum member Technic (mention that you need to power your underseat woofers). should sound decent, better than stock but wont be as good as having a dedicated sub in the trunk. Good thing is though that after powering the OEM's you can always add a sub in the trunk if you are not satisfied with the output.Also technic's harness would give you RCA outs that you could use for both the OEM's and trunk sub.

#20 ·
I have non logic 7 hifi system with BSW speakers. Would you suggest easy and simple upgrade for me, please! Amplifier that can be plug and play! Not sure about subs under seats as it takes lot of work to change them!

#23 ·
You already have decent speakers. I would say if you are not looking for really loud bass, add an amp to power the under seat OEM's. You would be surprised what they can do with a little additional power. Also to make make everything as plug and play as possible, contact Forum member Technic and buy a harness from him that would connect between L7 amp and factory speaker wiring , would use LOC to give you RCA outputs to connect to the aftermarket amp.

Connection would be really simple. you would still need to wire the aftermarket amp.

#28 ·
What kind of tools are needed to remove seat? Do we need to just remove the 4 bolts or more? After the work done, are the seats going to stay tight without moving on stops?

#31 ·
Thx for the details.

One question on non folding rear seats I have. How can the wiring can run from door sills into trunk? Is there a easy way? I am clear on front to back but not clear on back into trunk!

#32 ·
the only wires ive ran are from the trunk to the cab... which are the cable to the woofer controll knob.. the remote wire to a swith to cut off pwr to both amps .. and i also ran pwr to my iphone/ipod cable... if u remove the seat cushion there are cables running into the trunk on the pasanger side allls i did was pull the bottom of the back rest out alittle and ran the wires thru there. if u take out the trunk matt and the side cover ull see all the wires goen into the cab..

#38 ·
Personally, I'd rather hear the "growl" of the engine that the "thump" of a sub-woofer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.