BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X3 in car wash

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  guest1012 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 2011 X3 28i on Saturday (my first BMW) and I'm totally loving it, so today I have joined this community.

I have just finished reading the owner's manual but I'm not completely clear on what to do when taking my X3 to the car wash. The manual says to put the shift lever in neutral and leave the ignition on. I have two related questions:

1 - Do I need to leave the remote inside the car for the ignition to remain on, and if so

2 - is there a danger of the X3's doors automatically locking while it's wheels are moving along the belt, thereby locking me out?

I would really appreciate hearing from other 2011 X3 owners who have already been through this. Thank you so much.

#6 ·
Honestly, I'm not sure. Someone here said there's a coating "on" the windshield. But looking at the BMW manual now, it says "The shape of the windshield makes it possible
to display a precise image. A film in the windshield prevents double images".

And in the "care" section, they just say to avoid chemicals on the screens (which would mean my Navigation and HUD projector), but don't mention the windshield.

So! Maybe the windshield is safe. But I still want to avoid them rubbing their wet cloths on the Nav and HUD, and scratching them up.

But it's still a new car. I'm sure I'll mellow out in a few months. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.