BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DSC vs DTC -- when to use each setting

52K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Karlluis 
#1 ·
I have read the manual and done some searching, but I am confused with the various settings on my 09 535i x-drive. What exactly is the difference between the default traction control setting, the DTC setting when I push the button on the dash, and the DSC setting when you hold in the button on the dash for a couple of seconds? when should I use each setting. The manual gives us pages on how to use the seatbelt, but only a couple of cryptic sentences on these traction modes. thanks for any input

#2 · (Edited)
Do nothing, you're in DSC. All the nannies and minders apply.

Hit the button briefly, you're in DTC. Some of the nannies and minders are off. Allows for some wheel spin to start off in snow/ice.

Hit the button again, all nannies and minders return.

Hit the button and hold for about 8-10 seconds, nannies and minders take a vacation and the fun can begin. Not recommended for rain and snow. :D

dj

#4 ·
Hit the button briefly, you're in DTC. Some of the nannies and minders are off. Allows for some wheel spin to start off in snow/ice.
A good thing, you don't want the ECU deciding for you when to spin or not, when trying to get momentum up on the ice and snow.

Hit the button again, all nannies and minders return.

Hit the button and hold for about 8-10 seconds, nannies and minders take a vacation and the fun can begin. Not recommended for rain and snow. :D
Our favorite track setting! :rofl:

#3 ·
I also have an 09 535 X drive and had similar questions when I read the owner's manual. My take is to set to DTC when your wheels are spinning in snow and to use DSC when you want to disable the system which would affect traction. If I drive normally on lightly snow covered roads my guess is not to use DTC but I could be all wrong.

#10 ·
I also have an 09 535 X drive and had similar questions when I read the owner's manual. My take is to set to DTC when your wheels are spinning in snow and to use DSC when you want to disable the system which would affect traction. If I drive normally on lightly snow covered roads my guess is not to use DTC but I could be all wrong.
That isn't what DTC is for. The confusion starts with the BMW labelling system for warning lights and the button.

In normal state, no lights, you have DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control), by default. DSC helps with sliding, DTC puts a brake on to stop a wheel from spinning. There is a low system threshold for a spinning wheel, meaning the system (nanny) intervenes quite early.

Pushing the button once turns off DSC, but keeps DTC on. It allows more wheelspin than the standard setting (fewer nannies). This is designed to be used if you try to get going at slow speeds and the road is so slippery that you have no throttle response, ie the computer is limiting throttle because of wheel spin. Allowing some wheel spin can get you up a hill or get you moving sometimes when the system would otherwise stop you. Once you are moving, it is worth putting turning DTC off (back to normal state) for most drivers.

Holding the button for longer turns everything off. Good for track days, or playing around in parking lots to find out the limits of your car.

#17 ·
Confused newbie (me)
I read the posts and I would like to understand this whole thing, since we got a lot of snow here now. I drive a 530i. From what I gather I can summarize the following:

Initially after starting the car:
DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) is on by default.
DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) is off by default.

Hit the DTC button once (light goes on, I can see it in the front panel too):
DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) is now off. (??)
DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) is on. (use for snow)

3. Hit the DTC button once (light goes off):
DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) is now on. (??)
DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) is now off.

Hit the DTC button for a long time (about 8 seconds):
DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) is off (and not coming back?).
DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) is off (and not coming back?).

So, it's either DTC or DSC, but noth both at the same time... I think, :rolleyes:

#18 ·
Folks,
No car company has traction control off by default. Stability contol and traction control are always active until you start pressing the buttons.

#20 ·
My experience is that you turn DTC OFF if in snow and you're having trouble getting going.... not leave it on for use in snow as above. The behavior of DTC is to limit power applied to rear wheels to avoid spinning, but if spinning is what you need (ice and snow it often is to get some momentum) you'll need to turn DTC off. I have to admit, I haven't used DTC-off in my current BMW, as I don't drive it in those conditions, but this is how all my other cars' and trucks' traction control system has worked, and I think I've read in the admittedly confusing BMW owners' manual this is how it works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cal

#21 ·
The way I interpret it is that DTC is turned on by deactivating DSC (which limits tire slipping) with the button. DTC (allows some tire slipping) is used in icy conditions (when tire slipping is generally necessary) to initially start off and then DSC is reengaged (touch of the button), to keep you safer while moving in the slippery conditions.
I don't think there is any interpretation problem with the 'hold the button in' to disengage everything to let the fun begin (not in snow/ice) during those 'play days'. :dunno::)

dj

#23 ·
I have a X5 E70 2009 and I realize that in normal operation the Throttle response is hard, the rpms are below 1800 before gear shifts but when i drive in the same style but i press the dsc which displays DTC on the dash. the response changes and the engine sounds much smoother. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.