BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW i8 in detail. LifeDrive.

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Bernie@Bimmerfest 
#1 ·
With its combination of the aluminum Drive module and the CFRP passenger cell (Life module), the BMW i8 is also an excellent example of intelligent lightweight design - one of the guiding principles of the Efficient Dynamics strategy. Use of the lightweight high-tech material CFRP, which also offers excellent crash performance, brings weight savings of 50 percent over steel and around 30 percent over aluminum, with equivalent or improved strength. These savings offset the additional weight of the electric motor and the high-voltage battery, giving the BMW i8 a curb weight of less than 3,285 lbs (1,490 kilograms). The LifeDrive architecture also brings benefits in terms of weight distribution. The battery pack is situated low down in the middle of the vehicle, resulting in a low and central center of gravity, which improves safety. No other current model of a BMW Group brand has such a low center of gravity.

In the following video you can get more information about the LiveDrive architecture of the BMW i8.

http://youtu.be/WQJhCgWOwj8

Read more on the i8 here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.