BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sad

3K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Pirate_copy 
#1 ·
Well, I'm leaving for UCLA in 3 weeks and I won't have a car the first year...my poor baby! I wanted to upgrade my headlights and maybe M50 manifold swap and chip and all these fun things, but I figure it's a waste of money if I won't use them all year. Agh!!!!!! :cry::cry:

Anyways, to something more relevant, what do you guys think I should do for my car while I'm gone? Pump up the tires to 50 psi, disconnect battery and cover it in the garage with parking brake off? Or just have my mom drive it every couple weeks (I'm pretty protective over it now though :eek:)?

#3 ·
Thats a good question....why cant you take it with you.....

Spose tho, if you cant......I guess, in my humble opinion.......letting mum drive it would be an OK option.

Its not good for a car to just sit.......and sit........and sit....

Cone
XXX

#5 ·
:( I know what you're going through. Don't know if I can or not either......sniff.

To guys who are wondering:
-600+ for a parking permit
-Insurance goes up cuz you lose multi car discount
-You save money by not having to pay for gas, washes, maintenance, etc

I really wanna take my baby too, but it may not happen. We'll see with me.
Sorry Talon!!!

#21 ·
I am at UNCC, one of the few schools that actually lets their students keep cars their freshman year.

parking also is a heck of a lot less here. $280 to park. Gas prices are about $2.70 here. So its not that bad.

However, if your not working, and your not getting any help from your parents. Having a car in college is a huge burdon on your financial situation.

Books- $594
Meal Plan- $1000 even
hosuing- way too much.
tuition- $8,500 a year

I am lucky though. My grandparents offered to pay for all my tuition and housing. My parents picked up my meal plan fees. I am just paying for books and my car.

could be worse? :dunno:

#10 ·
Oh my god Pirate, can you imagine if we could not drive our Bimmers for even a day:cry::cry:

I feel for you. I am sure that your mum will take good care of her especially if she knows how much the car means to you. :thumbup:

#12 ·
I have a cousin that went to UCLA, great school! Talon, Good luck at your first year of college! Parking at most big schools these days is a total joke. Many schools do not allow freshman that live on campus to have vehicles. ...I think I would have died w/o my car in college! :) I'm sure your parents will have fun driving it around for you while you're gone!

#17 ·
Where did you guys go to school? College was a blast! I went to USF (South Florida), a school by the beach... That's almost as much fun as driving a BMW around all day. ...But don't you have to go to college first in order to get a good job..... to afford your next new BMW?

#27 ·
doh. what language?

#29 ·
sorry to kind of get things off topic, but its always fun to meet a fellow computer geek :typing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.