BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Standard versus Premium Hi-Fi E92 M3?

21K views 65 replies 23 participants last post by  alee 
#1 ·
I am just curious if anyone who has a M3 with the standard stereo could chime in with their impressions. In order to get Premium Sound you have to order the Premium Package (which I don't want). Is the standard audio system decent? Every car I have ever sat in at the dealership has had Premium Sound, so I am counting on real-world observations from you Bimmerfest members.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Jon I had an E82 and my regular hifi sounds just like E93 premium sounds since it had the same equalizer and I could not tell the difference between the two. E82 only came with 10 speakers where M3 comes with 12.

#3 · (Edited)
I am just curious if anyone who has a M3 with the standard stereo could chime in with their impressions. In order to get Premium Sound you have to order the Premium Package (which I don't want). Is the standard audio system decent? Every car I have ever sat in at the dealership has had Premium Sound, so I am counting on real-world observations from you Bimmerfest members.

Thanks!
Edit: I can see now that BMW is forcing the Individual Audio with the Premium Package for MY2013. It was not like that until this model year.

Individual Audio sounds better than the HiFi, but not $1900 better IMO. I had IA in my 2008 M3 (not ordered, just sitting at the lot), and now I have HiFi in my 2012 M3 (ordered as is), and I found the IA impossible to tune the way I wanted to sound. But most M3 owners seems to like it a lot. I normally dump the OEM sound and go aftermarket, which the HiFi is a much better platform to do that than the IA.

There is a third option, albeit hidden: special request the Logic7 system for about $1000. It does not have any iDrive requirement so it can be installed with the OEM HU if so desired. One forum member in the USA had it approved by BMWNA for his non-iDrive M3, AFAIK.

Logic7 sounds better than both the HiFi and the IA for the money, IMO. You will not get $900 in sound improvement with the IA, but you will get $1000 improvement over the HiFi.

#4 ·
I did not have the opportunity to order my car and had to pick a car from inventory that was closest to my needs and desires. I had the opportunity to test both systems back to back. I would describe the difference as being one of good vs. better. Although I thought the premium system might be a "must have" - after back to back testing - I was OK with the base system. In the end, I chose an M3 that did not have premium sound and I do not feel especially deprived. Occasionally, passengers have remarked positively about the sound in my car. If given the opportunity, I might still prefer to have the "better" system even though I usually listen to satellite radio which is not known for its fidelity. Moreover, generally, I find the sensual music that my M makes to be addicting and I find myself going for days listening only to M3 song. I would characterize "premium" sound as a desirable but not essential option.

#5 · (Edited)
there's only one choice that matters in this car, and it's completley a matter of preference, DCT or Manual. you'll be shocked at the amount of passion in either direction. make sure you choose wisely.

everything else is secondary. even "single hump" or speed cloth M3s are works of art. if you want to save dough, don't spend it on anything, and you'll be just as happy

#7 ·
there's only one choice that matters in this car, and it's completley a matter of preference, DCT or Manual. you'll be shocked at the amount of passion in either direction. make sure you choose wisely.

everything else is secondary. even "single hump" or speed cloth M3s are works of art. if you want to save dough, don't spend it on anything, and you'll be just as happy
Thanks for all of the follow-ups. I am not familiar with the E92 M3-specific lingo yet.

What is "single hump"? No nav? Speed cloth is the cloth/leather seating?

:dunno:

#10 ·

+1 except my only must have - "Competition Package"

#55 ·
Why? The name itself is impressive, but the contents aren't IMHO.

I wish my order would hurry up and move to 150 status already. With all of this time on my hands I keep changing the spec's. Now it's Alpine White with Speed Cloth. I also added Nav, and thanks to your feedback, ditched the regular 19" upgrade and added the Competition Pkg. My E36 M3 has the UUC RSC36 (Corsa direct/reflecting muffler). Now I am wonder if I should add the perf exhaust? How is the drone with the factory system?
At this rate, I may be ordering an almost twin e92 M3 later this year. I am ready to dump the porky e93 for the lighter e92 (AW, Speed Cloth) before they stop making them.

#6 · (Edited)
I have the premium audio, it's ok but not more. I haven't tested the base system but I would think it's below the standard you want in this car. If I have these three in a BMW I never miss anything: the sports options, cold weather package and premium audio. The rest is nice but not important to me. The premium audio is a bit over priced but I didn't want to go aftermarket so there wasn't much choice since I didn't know of the L7.

What color is that in your sig? Is it a special order TiAg? It would have been my first choice if it was a standard color. Or is it mineral white?

#9 ·
I have the enhanced audio system and it sounds very nice. Given the option over regular I'm not sure it is worth $1,900 (or whatever it lists at these days).

Normally I'm listening to station S65B40 anyways. :bigpimp:

#11 ·
How is the cloth/leather combo in person? I was actually considering it, mostly because it would be "different" not "cheaper". I've been driving an E36 M3 for almost a decade, and my spartan configuration reflects my desire to keep the new car similar to it (without all of the modern gadgetry). Is the cloth/leather attractive in person? The leather on my M3 Vaders resembles Beef Jerky nowadays after 14 years of baking in the sun. Cloth would not be prone to that, though the side bolsters would likely become equally trashed. One of the main reasons I don't want the Premium Package is that I want manual seats. Not one of these items Prem Pkg elements interests me although I did add the PDC to help me keep the rear bumper from getting chingered up.

***8226; Power folding auto dimming mirrors - why? Cool, but I've never needed to fold my current M3's mirrors
***8226; Power rear sunshade - maybe, but I am getting tint.
***8226; Real Time Traffic Information - why? I live in Santa Barbara...
***8226; Voice-command - why?
***8226; Interior mirror with compass - seriously????
***8226; Power front seats with driver seat memory - once my seat is set, that's it. Nobody but me will be driving my new M3. Manual seats save weight.
***8226; Online Information Services - why? I have a smartphone.
***8226; Park Distance Control (rear only) -- o.k.
***8226; Comfort Access keyless entry - my wife likes it on her 335i. Doesn't have to fumble through her purse to get her keys...
***8226; Universal garage-door opener - my boat lives in my garage.
***8226; Navigation system -- again, why? Unnecessary for me.

I would pay extra for the Premium Sound if I didn't have to pay an extra $4,350 for all of this that I don't want or need.

:dunno:

Anyway, attached is a copy of my build. I am a little worried ordering the Silver/Black/Black interior having never seen it before. Has anyone seen it in person, and if so, care to share your opinion?

Attachments

#12 ·
Palladium/black looks very nice. :thumbup:

I would add the Logic7 system, though... you should know how to make it happen. You will appreciate the clarity and volume over the HiFi.

Personally, I do not like the Speed cloth. Look cheap to me, especially after BMW added more cloth and took away some leather from it. But if this is going to be a car to be taken to the track often, and a long termer (as in 5+ years or ownership) then I would get it with Speed cloth. Novillo leather starts looking tired at the ~3 years mark, regardless of care. It is slightly less resilient than Nappa in my experience.

#13 · (Edited)
I agree with palladium/black as a nice combo, especially if you are set on a black interior. Having some contrast is a good thing, as I think that black/black is way too boring (given the othoptions available)

Can't you still add comfort access as a standalone option? If it was up to me I'd rather have that than PDC (or in addition to)

Edit: I will add, I had a chance to listen to the standard m3 stereo for the first time about a week ago. I was NOT impressed. Very little in the way of bass/midrange. Logic 7 (if available) or the EPS system would be money well spent.

#17 ·
I also didn't get the upgrade because it would have required the NAV/idrive. In back to back test drives, I thought the upgraded system was a whole lot better. My advice, is to spend the money on an exhaust instead. Since adding the Perf exhaust, I rarely turn on the radio.

#27 ·
Here is what my research has revealed:

Option 752 (BMW Individual High End Audio System) can only be ordered with ZPP ***8211; no exceptions. Option 688 (Harman Kardon Surround Sound System) is also available on the M3 Coupe, but as a special order. Pricing for this would be $1175 whsl / $1290 retail. Here is a description of both stereo systems:

Option 688: BMW high-end-speaker system with LOGIC7 signal processing and Surround mode, digital amplifier with vehicle-specific equalizing, 420 W amplifier power, multi-channel.

13 loudspeakers:
- 1 centre midrange speaker in the instrument panel
- 2 tweeters with 'harman/kardon' designation in the mirror triangles
- 2 midrange speakers in door trims (basic equipment)
- 2 central bass speakers under the front seats (basic equipment)
- 2 tweeters in side trims at the rear
- 2 midrange speakers in side trim at the rear (basic equipment)
- 2 midrange speakers in the rear parcel shelf

Option 752: digital 9-channel amplifier with digital sound processing, amplifier power 825 W with a total of 16 high-end loudspeakers (Neodym magnetic drives, hexacone diaphragm):
- 1 coaxial centre speaker (2-loudspeaker system consisting of tweeters and midrange speaker) in instrument panel centre
- 1 tweeter (silk tweeters) in each mirror triangles
- 1 midrange speaker in the trim panels of each rear door
- 1 bass speakers underneath each front seat
- 1 coaxial speaker (2-loudspeaker system consisting of tweeters and midrange speaker) below rear parcel shelf
- 2 midrange speakers and 2 tweeters on each side at the rear
DIRAC Live technology enables perfectly timed sound experience in all seats, colour-matched loudspeaker bezels. Setting for sound, stereo or spatial sound (Dolby Pro Logic II) and 7-band equalizer via iDrive

#28 ·
Here is what my research has revealed:

Option 752 (BMW Individual High End Audio System) can only be ordered with ZPP - no exceptions. Option 688 (Harman Kardon Surround Sound System) is also available on the M3 Coupe, but as a special order. Pricing for this would be $1175 whsl / $1290 retail. Here is a description of both stereo systems:

Option 688: BMW high-end-speaker system with LOGIC7 signal processing and Surround mode, digital amplifier with vehicle-specific equalizing, 420 W amplifier power, multi-channel.

13 loudspeakers:
- 1 centre midrange speaker in the instrument panel
- 2 tweeters with 'harman/kardon' designation in the mirror triangles
- 2 midrange speakers in door trims (basic equipment)
- 2 central bass speakers under the front seats (basic equipment)
- 2 tweeters in side trims at the rear
- 2 midrange speakers in side trim at the rear (basic equipment)
- 2 midrange speakers in the rear parcel shelf

Option 752: digital 9-channel amplifier with digital sound processing, amplifier power 825 W with a total of 16 high-end loudspeakers (Neodym magnetic drives, hexacone diaphragm):
- 1 coaxial centre speaker (2-loudspeaker system consisting of tweeters and midrange speaker) in instrument panel centre
- 1 tweeter (silk tweeters) in each mirror triangles
- 1 midrange speaker in the trim panels of each rear door
- 1 bass speakers underneath each front seat
- 1 coaxial speaker (2-loudspeaker system consisting of tweeters and midrange speaker) below rear parcel shelf
- 2 midrange speakers and 2 tweeters on each side at the rear
DIRAC Live technology enables perfectly timed sound experience in all seats, colour-matched loudspeaker bezels. Setting for sound, stereo or spatial sound (Dolby Pro Logic II) and 7-band equalizer via iDrive
752 sounds sweet, Jon. Especially with some of the E9x equalizer settings several have posted on the boards.

#31 ·
Another word option 752 is much better compare with L7 system?

#33 ·
Don't think they charged $1900 for this option.

#36 ·
I wish my order would hurry up and move to 150 status already. With all of this time on my hands I keep changing the spec's. Now it's Alpine White with Speed Cloth. I also added Nav, and thanks to your feedback, ditched the regular 19" upgrade and added the Competition Pkg. My E36 M3 has the UUC RSC36 (Corsa direct/reflecting muffler). Now I am wonder if I should add the perf exhaust? How is the drone with the factory system?

#38 ·
Hi
Lots more problems with the BMW E90 2006 320i. I have changed the oil seperator, sorted the oil burning and a new type of smoke appeared :cry:.on checking this, at the back of the car white excessive vapour smoke(could not see behind me that’s how bad).
I tried to re-tork head an all the inlet bolts moved +- 45 degrees.However the inlet bolt closest to the timing chain torqued further and snapped.

With this kind of problem i took 2 grandpa to stop the headache:thumbdwn:there after i removed the cylinder head.The gasket was blown between number 1 & 2 cylinder:dunno:.
Please advise- i suspect previously when i did the head, i used head bolts that were none BMW agent. Do you think this is the problem - head bolt not holding the torque on the head. No funds for big job:cry:

I have a good mind of throwing this engine in the bin.What a problematic engine (320i N46)-any suggestions to my issue above.

#40 ·
Hi
Lots more problems with the BMW E90 2006 320i. I have changed the oil seperator, sorted the oil burning and a new type of smoke appeared :cry:.on checking this, at the back of the car white excessive vapour smoke(could not see behind me that's how bad).
I tried to re-tork head an all the inlet bolts moved +- 45 degrees.However the inlet bolt closest to the timing chain torqued further and snapped.

With this kind of problem i took 2 grandpa to stop the headache:thumbdwn:there after i removed the cylinder head.The gasket was blown between number 1 & 2 cylinder:dunno:.
Please advise- i suspect previously when i did the head, i used head bolts that were none BMW agent. Do you think this is the problem - head bolt not holding the torque on the head. No funds for big job:cry:

I have a good mind of throwing this engine in the bin.What a problematic engine (320i N46)-any suggestions to my issue above.
This is the wrong thread for your issue. :dunno:

#45 ·
Jon, you make me worried about the new M3. When someone with your presumably access to inside information decides to buy the last breath of the outgoing model it doesn't seem promising for the replacement. I would understand it though, the current M3 is fantastic and the S65 is epic.

#46 ·
I've always loved the E92 M3, but was not in a position to buy one, and I was being loyal to my beloved E36 M3. Now, my twins are done with college, my home in Santa Barbara is almost paid off, I already bought my wife a new 335i, and now that I am again affiliated with BMW Center, I can lease one for a nickel per month. Let's just say the time is right.

:angel:

#49 ·
I just had my CA (Adrian) add on the premium sound.

When I originally had test drove the cars (135i, F30 328i, 335is, Lime Rock M3) I really didn't have the radio all setup nor was I paying close attention to it when I was driving (especially the M3 :angel:).

In the end I realized how much I enjoy music. I didn't want to be stuck with a terrible decision that was only $1900 out of my grasp. :cry:

#50 ·
I just had my CA (Adrian) add on the premium sound.

When I originally had test drove the cars (135i, F30 328i, 335is, Lime Rock M3) I really didn't have the radio all setup nor was I paying close attention to it when I was driving (especially the M3 :angel:).

In the end I realized how much I enjoy music. I didn't want to be stuck with a terrible decision that was only $1900 out of my grasp. :cry:
It does sound pretty good to me. I made the equalization settings to the freq's from a thread in another forum (set them to flat when I bought car) and they make a discernible difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.