BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Radar detector falsing from car sensors

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ae86pwr 
#1 ·
First, a mea culpa. I absolutely remember reading a thread about how the V-1 radar detector is being falsely activated by various sensors on our cars. I vaguely recall discussion about solutions in that thread. I have spent an hour searching this entire forum, to no avail. If someone can find that thread, please link to it and I'll delete this one. My search-fu is failing me...

Ok, I have a 2013 550i with just about every sensor BMW offers. Lane Departure, ACC, Collision warning, cameras front rear side, yada. My V-1 is hard-wired and located just to the left of the mirror, as high as possible.

I get false alerts all the time. Not continuously, but with great regularity. And having had a V-1 since the stone age, I am very familiar with how it works, how it should react, and the alerts along my normal driving routes. It's clearly my new car.

So... what's the solution? What options do I have for reducing or eliminating these falses?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Turn off the offending band on the V1.

#3 ·
Do we know (1) what specific feature is causing this, and (2) what band it is?

I know I could look at the detector to see what band is going off, but does anyone know specifics? For example, "it's the lane detector and it cause the Ka band to false". Or whatever.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Believe it is K and from blind spot sensors. Turning them off does not deactivate the sensor.

#5 ·
Believe it is K and from blind spot sensors. Turning them off does not deactivate the sensor.
Oh, that's why I wasn't able to figure out which sensor it was. I've been turning various ones on & off, with no luck.

#6 ·
After some exchanges with Valentine thier suggestions agree with the above.
From my email conversation with Valentine

"If it's interference from the blind spot detection system, I would suggest activating the Traffic Monitor Filter (available only on newer units) or disabling the POP detection. For more information on programming, please click on the following link:
http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/techreport3.asp"

I turned off the POP detection on my V1 and the issue with my 2013 550 is solved. Go to the Valentine website and find the programming instructions, very easy to do.

With more cars coming with this feature and interference source, maybe there will be software developed to set the sensitive of the rear receiver.

#7 ·
Just to follow up on this thread, following the advice of donm, I reprogrammed what the V1 calls "t" mode. This has eliminated my falsing problem 100%. The only downside is the loss of K-POP ability. Worth it to get my V1 back to working.

#8 ·
Mine is an older model that doesn't have the traffic mode. I switched it to advanced logic mode (capital L on the display) and it stopped falsing. No idea if it was the blind spot monitor or satellite radio that was causing the problem, both are known issues v radar detectors.

#9 ·
While I don't have any lane changing tech on my car, I have noticed that Audis are the biggest offenders when it comes to my V1 going apes**t.

#10 ·
Following a Kia Cadenza this morning and my old V1 picked up 2 sources of K band all the way in the single lane road

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.