BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What do you keep in your trunk for emergencys

6K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  Itinj6 
#1 ·
Right now I have in my trunk
The normal factory stuff
Radiator hoses,
gallon of distilled water (could be used for survival or radiator)
Screw Driver
towel (most usefull item in the universe)
Fix A Flat
Fuses
2 gallons of 93 octane gas

I have a first aid kit headrest from 740il so technically not in the trunk.

Anything else I should carry

#3 · (Edited)
I have:
120v Converter
2 Tow Ropes
Spare Jeans and Shirt
Gloves and Hat
Rain Poncho
Ice Scraper
1/2" Torque Wrench with 17mm Socket
Automatic Transmission Fluid (Power Steering)
50/50 Mix Coolant
Quart of oil
Quick Detailer (For Bird Poo)
Towels
Fuses
Spare Bulbs
Screwdrivers
Socket Set
Ratchet Straps
WD-40
Flashlights
Spark Plug Gap Tool
Paper Bags (For carrying many things or to protect trunk)
Spare Wheel Lug Bolt
Allen Wrenches
Electrical Tape
Knife
A few compact multi tools
Tire Pressure Gauge
Tire inflator
Quick Interior Detailing Wipes
And my front license plate...

#5 ·
You guys must either travel far, far from civilization or be hyper paranoid about your cars.

I carry the complete BMW toolkit, a flashlight, work gloves for tire changing, and paper towels. Everything stays in the spare tire well, I hate things in my trunk. Everything else, I have AAA for.

For longer trips (+200mi one way) I'll take one gallon of 50/50 coolant/water, a quart of oil, and a better warning light or triangle. That's about it.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp

#8 ·
You guys must either travel far, far from civilization or be hyper paranoid about your cars.

I carry the complete BMW toolkit, a flashlight, work gloves for tire changing, and paper towels. Everything stays in the spare tire well, I hate things in my trunk. Everything else, I have AAA for.

For longer trips (+200mi one way) I'll take one gallon of 50/50 coolant/water, a quart of oil, and a better warning light or triangle. That's about it.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp
I forgot to add that I keep a 7 inch knife in the driverside door pocket. I keep a rod on the rear deck incase of a fight. When I turn 18 I'm planning on getting a permit to carry a handgun but my plan is to put blanks in it because most weapons are used on their owners. I am also a big believer that most criminals are cowards ipso facto they would run away. I worked over the summer as a Correctional officer, so I have talked to criminals. Most of the time they try stealing stuff they have to get drunk because they couldn't do it sober.

"Rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them"

I've been paranoid ever since I got hit by the ice storm last year. I've never seen anything like it. Gas stations out of gas, people lining up to charge their phones at 7/11. 2 hours waiting for gas. That was an ice storm imagine if something really big happened. Ill be on doomsday prepers before you know it. It took 10 days to get power back. What if it took a 2 months?

All my stuff is neatly on the spare tire. So it's not clogging up my trunk.

#6 · (Edited)
BSW tool-kit, jumper cables, a spare, LED flashlight, rubber gloves and hope. If i was to go on a roadtrip, maybe a gallon of coolant and a quart of oil.

Pretty much the same as E36 Phatom.. AAA is my backup if things go to sh@#.

#7 · (Edited)
Trunk Money, case of beer & a 12ga Shot gun.

serously, I use my car for work and do travel 200+ miles from home 2-3x montly. I have a rubber made HD container from my old 4x4 I had which stored tow gear. It now contains:

-Hard hat
-Reflective vest
-Commerical grade small fire extinguisher that gets certified yearly by my company safety man.
-Old beach towel
-Wolverine work boots
-Whatever tools BMW includes in the trunk lid tool kit (checked to make sure it's all there)
-Spare tire & jack All stock items
-LED 2AA Maglight
-First Aid Kit I put together; gloves, bandaids, condoms etc.
-Pencil tire pressure gauge (No I don't actually use it regularly, it's for an emergency. I've checked to make sure it's close vs my dial gauge)
-1qt of Castrol 0-30 Oil
-Gallon of drinking water
-Roll 3M Duct Tape

Spare fuses are in the glove box fuse panel. Factory the car came with 1x of each amperage. That's all I need. If I need more than that I'm in seroius trouble. I have a set of jumper cables in the garage, brand new, light duty ones. But I took them out being I have a brand new battery and I now check the battery condition at every oil change or before going out of town 500+ miles is far for me, anything less is around the corner. I have a digital battery meter that checks battery condition and starter/charging. So I look at it this way, years ago I didn't have a $100 fancy microprocessor battery analyzer like the dealers used to have have. Now I do. So having a dead battery now a days means you left something on. Or you don't check your battery at oil changes.

#9 ·
I've certified fire extinguishers as a CO because I'm only seasonal I get to do the stuff no body wants. My boss says to me this is how you inspect them "look at the hose make sure it's not cracked then sign my ID number shouldn't take you more than 4 hours". I had to inspect 150 of them, about 25 into it I realized it wasn't so bad so that's what I did the next 2 weeks. Those fire extinguishers got the best damn inspection.

All jokes aside- make sure your fire extinguishers is actually inspected. I could've easily just signed the tag saying it was good without really checking.

#11 ·
I've got some BMW coolant in there, I got paranoid after my cooling system overhaul.

But seriously I don't see the point in carrying a survival kit like some kind of prepper... One thing I wouldn't mind is a fire extinguisher, only because my E39 actually did catch on fire from the aux fan...

#14 ·
........But seriously I don't see the point in carrying a survival kit like some kind of prepper... One thing I wouldn't mind is a fire extinguisher, only because my E39 actually did catch on fire from the aux fan...
I don't know what a prepper is, but If you live in snow country and get cought or stopped by a blizzard, you will appreciate having a winter survival kit: a small shovel, a good pair of boots, gloves, hat, and a wool blanket. I learned this lesson many years ago when I thought I knew everything.........

Free advice on maintaining any powder based fire extinguisher. Every 6 months turn it over and tap the bottom of the cylinder several times with a rubber hammer. It will loosen up the compressed powder and allow it to mix with the propellant. If the gague does not register in the good zone, have it serviced or replaced. There, now you just serviced your own extinguisher.

#17 ·
I have so much in my trunk because I like being prepared and i know that if I just have the tool I can fix or diagnose it and be on my way. When I travel to see my family in Houston, from Lincoln NE, its about 900 miles one way. When I do that I load up the trunk with all my tools. Full mechanics tool set, dewalt impact wrenches, hydraulic jack and jackstands... I also have AAA but I don't like having to wait around for help. I haven't had any serious problems outside of town, but I did use AAA when my transmission blew. You can't prepare for everything. I also have a habit of getting cars stuck in snow and mud so having tow ropes makes it easier to find someone to pull you out. And if you have ever had a brake line blow out the comfort of carrying spare tools is never annoying.

#27 ·
OP....2 gallons of gas in yr trunk?is that not dangerous?
Only if the car catches fire. You'd be surprised on stuff that more dangerous. Any aerosol can is highly flammable. Gas is only flammable is a vapor forum. Have you're normal gas tank is just as dangerous

#37 ·
Haha, my wife actually showed me that video the other day.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your illness but glad to hear that it's under control. You are absolutely right. A car is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Happy and an extra healthy new year to you.

PS- Should be watching the Winter Classic tomorrow but instead, I'll just continue hating Bettman's guts lol.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.