BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2007 X5 Ride and Drive at PC in SC

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  SignHere 
#1 ·
Well, I just got back from 2 days at the Performance Delivery Center in South Carolina where BMW sponsored a ride and drive with the new X5 and most of the competition.

When BMW does one of these events everything is well thought out, designed to train without boring, fully hands-on, and fun to boot!

We start out in a large tent with a new X5 under wraps and huge video screens all around. We are broken up into 4 groups and rotate through the 4 modules. First a brief classroom session and then into the cars.

We had 5 courses laid out for us.

The first designed for a comparison between the X5 3.0si and the X5 4.8i and regular and active steering in both.

The second was a road course on which we tested both vehicles with both steering configurations again but on real roads around the center.

The third was a 6 cylinder comparison against vehicles such as the Volvo, Lexus and Mercedes.

The fourth was an 8 cylinder comparison against the Mercedes, Audi, and something else (I was really tired by then!)

The fifth was an incredible 'off-road' course where we ran the X5 through DEEP water, up STEEP hills and teetered the vehicle on two wheels of opposite corners. (This was wild! They lengthened the wheelbase 4.5 inches but increased torsional rigidity 15%!!!) They made us drive with 2 side wheels on a 35% grade and I could have sworn we were going to tip over!!!

My first impression is that BMW hit the nail on the head. This vehicle dirves MUCH better than the original X5, has the right amount of power in both powertrains and is remarkable in terms of sophistication and technology.

The second impression is that you can't tell how sloppily the competition drives unless you do an A-B comparison like this.

I will post more when I get more time, but hopefully this will encourage all of the other CA's to post their feedback as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I just got back from 2 days at the Performance Delivery Center in South Carolina where BMW sponsored a ride and drive with the new X5 and most of the competition.

When BMW does one of these events everything is well thought out, designed to train without boring, fully hands-on, and fun to boot!

We start out in a large tent with a new X5 under wraps and huge video screens all around. We are broken up into 4 groups and rotate through the 4 modules. First a brief classroom session and then into the cars.

We had 5 courses laid out for us.

The first designed for a comparison between the X5 3.0si and the X5 4.8i and regular and active steering in both.

The second was a road course on which we tested both vehicles with both steering configurations again but on real roads around the center.

The third was a 6 cylinder comparison against vehicles such as the Volvo, Lexus and Mercedes.

The fourth was an 8 cylinder comparison against the Mercedes, Audi, and something else (I was really tired by then!)

The fifth was an incredible 'off-road' course where we ran the X5 through DEEP water, up STEEP hills and teetered the vehicle on two wheels of opposite corners. (This was wild! They lengthened the wheelbase 4.5 inches but increased torsional rigidity 15%!!!) They made us drive with 2 side wheels on a 35% grade and I could have sworn we were going to tip over!!!

My first impression is that BMW hit the nail on the head. This vehicle dirves MUCH better than the original X5, has the right amount of power in both powertrains and is remarkable in terms of sophistication and technology.

The second impression is that you can't tell how sloppily the competition drives unless you do an A-B comparison like this.

I will post more when I get more time, but hopefully this will encourage all of the other CA's to post their feedback as well.
I was in Chicago on Thursday for the same event.

The handling of the 4.8is with sport package was outstanding. We got to drive cars with and without active steering, and unlike in the past I actually like the active steering in this car. It does not suffer from excessive boost at slow speeds like the active steering in the E60 did at launch. We got to drive on a course set up for "performance evaluation" and got to push it pretty hard. After that, we got to ride as passengers as a professional driver drove the same course even harder, and I was blown away by how fast he was able to drive it on the course and how well it handled tight turns and slalom.

The competition was interesting. The ML500 pulls hard off the line due to it's 7-speeed auto and the gearing of 1st gear, but it quickly falls back at higher speeds. The brakes are also mushy and it has major nose dive on hard braking. The RX350 was the scariest of all... the power steering cut out during the slalom!!

Overall I was very impressed with the vehicle and I think it'll be a big hit!

#3 ·
This year's Ride & Drive was held at Arlington Park Race Track in Arlington Heights, Illinois.In attendance daily,were about 200 Sales Managers,Client Advisors,Service Writers and Technicians from the Central Region of BMW dealers. There were similar events going on for the Eastern,Southern and Western region at the same time,during the week of November 6th through November 10th.The purpose was the introduction of the all new redesigned X5 against vehicles that BMW felt were competitors.We compared the Lexus RX350,Mercedes GL 450,Mercedes ML350 & ML500,,Volvo XC90 and theAudi Q7 . We were
able to experience different driving events ,using each vehicle for the same event in order to have an accurate way to compare the car while the characteristics were fresh in our minds. After each event,we would go to a specific module to learn in greater detail.They were divided into four groups, Safety & Security,Comfort & Convience,Power & Performance and Competitive Comparisons.The weather was on our side and made everything even that much more enjoyable.

We all left feeling BMW created another winner ! Drive it for yourself and decide .When they told us the rear end of the cabin is so strong, it can withstand a 50 mph impact without serious injury to the rear occupants,we couldn't believe it. Will it again become the safest vehicle ever tested ?

Look for it in Dealers Showrooms right around Thanksgiving......to see pictures www.edBMW.com/photos

#4 ·
Thanks for all the photos and review. Since some of you have drove it can you please comments on rear seating since you sat back there.

How does it compare to the rear seating of the 06 X5? I test drove an 06 X5 and on normal roads the rear seating was pretty bumpy not a pleasant experience for rear passangers. Has this changed or the same.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the photos and review. Since some of you have drove it can you please comments on rear seating since you sat back there.

How does it compare to the rear seating of the 06 X5? I test drove an 06 X5 and on normal roads the rear seating was pretty bumpy not a pleasant experience for rear passangers. Has this changed or the same.
If you're not talking about the optional third row which is really for younger kids,then the middle row certainly felt better than the old one and the power in both models seemed sufficent,but ride and performance are a very personal matter and we were mainly in the parking lot,except for a short ride throught the local neighborhoods.They 'll be out around 11/24,so just try and drive on some different road conditions.Everyone from my showroom felt it's going to be a winner !

#9 ·

The extra 4.5 inches and suspension tweaks for Run Flats made all the difference in the world! This is a refined comfortable vehicle that you can drive like a 5 Series. The 3rd row is an occasional use seat which is desiged for children under 5'6". I can get in (All 6'2" 240lbs of me) but I wouldn't want to be back there for long.

The nice thing about having the 3rd row is that the 2nd row seat backs adjust just like now (But no power option) If you opt for no 3rd row you get a space saver spare and fixed 2nd row seat backs.

#10 ·
You're going to be real happy! It was best described as fun and controlled. A genuine pleasure to drive. We will sell probably half of our 3.0's without the $3600 Sport Package so you are making a common choice.

You gotta remember, we were pushing everything as hard as they would go through slaloms, 90 degree turns, gradual banks, emergency lane changes and emergency braking. :D So everyday driving wasn't foremost on our minds. But make no doubt about it...this is a fine daily driver for even the 'less aggressive' of us out there.

#7 · (Edited)
Guys, I went last Wednesday and yes, it was a blast indeed. Thanks for opening the thread, SignHere.

I enjoyed the X5 thoroughly, inside and out. I certainly believe that all you X5 enthusiasts will not be disappointed. The vehicle exceeded my expectations in both performance and appearance.

The session I looked forward to the most were the comparison drives against our rival brands. I'm sure you all will agree that the Q7 was probably the only competitor that remotely came close in performance. I didn't really care too much for the interior, but was surprised by the rear legroom. I agree with Sarafil's assessments. The worst performer was the Lexus RX. Man, you didn't wanna be in the back of that thing after lunch!:rofl: My friend ran it off the circuit onto the grass 'cause he lost control on the slalom. Didn't care much for the Volvo and I was saddened by how cheap the doors felt in the MB- I mean, the interior side panels was nothing but plastic, no leather at all.

As for pics, I took lots of those, too. But I took some vids as well. I'll try to share some.

Here's a video where I'm driving the X5 3.0si in the comparo test:

Here's a video of the crash tests:

I thought the rear camera parking assist was really wicked when you turn there's a path of red lines that show you where you're gonna go. Here's a video of that:

#12 ·
Like I mentioned, the Q7 was really the only SUV that stood out compared to the MB, Volvo, and Lexus. The Q7 was a nice SUV, no doubt. While I'm trying not to be biased, I felt that the Q7's steering feel was pretty decent (not BMW, but still good). It had really good power, comfortable seats, especially in the rear (2nd row). One of the problems I had though was that I felt that the Q7 was too long and had really big snout. Thus, I thought it looked like an AWD fish on wheels. The tail kinda whipped around like a fish though. The exhaust note sounded great. I didn't care for the MMI. It looked more complicated and button rich for my taste.

#14 ·
The only thing I've heard is that they dumped the window shades form the rear climate package and lowered the price $200.

The vehicles we drove looked perfect and ready for sale.

I...uh...may have been guilty of telling my customers end of November when they ordered too. (OK-OK...3 Hail Mary's and a couple of novenas for pennance):cry: Most likely those November arrivals will be launch vehicles. You should get yours in early December just like all of the other 'waiters'. I guarantee the wait will be worth it!!!

#16 ·
Cool technologies were iDrive programmable buttons to do just about everything!

Want to have a radio preset on the dash? Program your station and hold the button in for 5 seconds.

Want to have your wife's cell phone programmed to progamable button #2? Just select her number on the iDrive screen and press and hold button #2 for 5 seconds.

Want to program a specific loaction you go to frequently so all you have to do is hit a programmable button and have your guidance system start automatically? You can do this just by selecting the destination on Nav and pressing button #3 for 5 seconds.

Forget what these buttons do? just lightly run your finger along the row and at the bottom of any iDrive screen you will see what they do. Hover over one and it gets larger and easier to see!!!

Plus you still get the 2 programmable buttons on the steering wheel! They moved the heated steering wheel button in between these two programmable buttons as well.

How about direct access climate control buttons? No more fumbling with iDrive to get the cold air off your face, just a press of the dedicated button for either driver or passenger and its done.

Little things like the clamshell golve box locks with the vehicle automatically! And it's deep enough to actually hold the owners manual! (Woo-Hoo!!!)

Using the optional convenience plan for BMW Assist allows you to push a button and say "How do I get to BFE, and what's the phone number?!?" and this info can be 'pushed' to your Nav screen!!!

Head-Up Display is more advanced and selections of what info can be seen is larger and can be positioned to better viewing.

It has cornering lamps that sense steering wheel input and light a second bulb to provide a BRIGHT cornering lamp even if sitting still!

Remote Door Unlock as with all BMWs with BMW Assist after 9-06. BUT, this is one cool feature!

Sorry, just was explaining all this to a customer when I thought of you guys! ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.