BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

slight chugging @ 2200-2400 rpm

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Alfredo2001X5 
#1 ·
Howdy, been a member for a while and have put over 150,000 miles on my '01 X5 before handing it to my wife, I picked-up a sweet 540i 6-speed sport everything, it's really nice, anyway here's the issue:

under very, very light accelleration on any terrain there's an almost unperceptable chug/tug/hesitation @ the above rpm's...maybe a miss but not a transmission slip. This is an '01 X5 4.4i with sport, cold weather package, staggered 20's

Over on the e39 forum I'd be directed to either the thrust arm bearing or the exhaustive DIY section...just seeing if there's someone here who's had something similar.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Hard to say but assuming nod CEL/code on the dash, I'll replace spark-plugs, check 1/4" vacuum hose above the intake manifold to make sure it's not cracked of leaking, make sure no sludge on oil return hose from the top of passenger side valve cover etc (remove the hose clamps and pull the hose off to inspect).

Also why don't you reset the auto-trans adaptation, feet off the pedals, turn the key like you want to start the engine (the car won;t start cause feet are off the pedals), then press the accelerator all the way in for 30-40 sec. REMEMBER engine is off when you do this!

#3 ·
Could this be due to the vast difference in our driving styles? I tend to gradually accellerate to speed, where my wife likes to tear-off like someone's chasing her? :rofl:

Since I drive this car so rarely now, is it starting to adapt to her style?

I'll do the reset and see what happens...thx

#6 ·
good call YG...that's kinda what the "seat of the pants" feeling I was having...It's due for an oil service, so I'll add that to their list and come-back with the results...thanks to all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.