BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Fill up my tank => puddle of gas on floor!!!

10K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Fudman 
#1 ·
Hey guys: ideas please before I rip the whole tank out. :cry:

I have noticed a light gas smell after long drives, but no wet patches on floor or tank bottom. I fill up (feeling rich!) on Friday, and the guy really fills the tank several clicks past the first pump click (I know, but was too late). There is a splash and gas, about 1/8 gal. I guess, falls very fast to floor. Looks like from front upper of tank.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

#2 ·

I have noticed a light gas smell after long drives, but no wet patches on floor or tank bottom. I fill up (feeling rich!) on Friday, and the guy really fills the tank several clicks past the first pump click (I know, but was too late). There is a splash and gas, about 1/8 gal. I guess, falls very fast to floor. Looks like from front upper of tank.

Any ideas?

Thanks...
Define "floor" - if you mean "ground", that is normal, though your gas station attendant is an idiot. Where else do you want excess fuel to go? There is a spill pipe that runs along the back of the rear right tire.

If by "floor" you mean the interior of the car, that is bizarre and probably dangerous.

Bill

#3 ·
ok, sorry Bill.

On the concrete gas station floor. The spill ran down the tank to ground. If there was a overfill from filling process, would it not end up at gas station attedants feet? ie right side, rather than left?

Thanks for advice!

#4 ·
It is possible that the overflow pipe/tube isn't extending through the wheel liner and is then causing the fuel to run along the bottom of the car before it finally hits the ground. Get under the car and look.

Bill

#5 ·

Any ideas?

Thanks...
Remove your rear seat bottom and insulation then take a look to see if the area of the sending unit is wet. If so, possibly a bad gasket.

#6 ·
Had this problem with my track car. The side-to-side vent tube was not properly seated and had to be fixed. It's not a pressurized line, so not immediate harm/danger, but should be inspected anyway. The way to check it is to remove your rear seat bottom, pull back the carpet and sound deadening material, and remove the round gas tank access panel.

#9 ·
It's possible the top of the connecting hose to the tank behind the wheel well liner has a split in it, or one of the clamps is loose.
Maybe the fuel ran down the liner toward the rear of the car.
If your really want to know you will need to pull the wheel and liner, put the wheel back on, go to the gas station and fill'er up.

Attachments

#10 ·
+1 Mine seems to be seeping from this hose. I get a faint smell only, nothing on the ground. Pulled wheel liner (which is a pain) and could see that there was brownish stains around the area where the rubber hose clamps to the tubes from filler and down to tank. I tightened the clamps figuring... All set now. Well, better but not fixed. This started late last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.