BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Clunk from rear

7K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  mrsanchez3 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am trying to find the cause of this issue and was looking for some help. The truck is a 2007 X3si.

If I slow down to 0-5mph and then take off, I get a clunk from the rear of the truck. Same thing sometimes happens when I take off from a complete stop. It does not happen when slowing down to higher speeds.

The car had a new rear diff installed for other reasons and the problem is still there.

Any ideas on what I should be checking?
Car has new rear brakes for what it's worth (problem was there before and after brake change).

Thanks

#6 ·
clunk from rear

Hi everybody I am new here. And have this problem I have a 06 2l diesal and when ever I come to a stop the is a slight clunk clunk a double clunk this and when I accelelarate into 3rd gear there is a slight slip my mac here in sa has redone the clutch and charged me R10k now when the noise came back went to the mac and made a big hoo haa X3 going in on the 7th jan so I want to get an idea of what is wrong before they rip me off again so I know what is he talking about as I am not tec minded in cars but will learn from all the great posts here according to the mac he says it is a bearing in the rack and pinion that is worn out thanks everbody keep it up

#8 ·
+1! Hassan, a clutch is a "wear" item that needs to be replaced just like tires or brakes (just not as frequently). If you can get 100K miles out of a clutch disc, pressure plate, and throw out bearing than you have done just about what they are designed for with moderate driving. Now then, you can also spin a clutch in an afternoon if you really put your mind to it and are driving in the right conditions~!:D Of course you will find folks who have gotten much more than 100K miles out of their clutch too. My wife got 120K miles out of her 325e clutch and it was still fine when we sold the car. Of course that was very moderate city driving (back and forth from one shopping center to another:rofl:).:angel:

#9 ·
Hi got the clunk out moved to another mac and replaced transfer case oil from bmw dealership as well as front and back diff oil noise gone thanks guys another new problem I encounted was when x3 was hot and came to a stop it would not roll back seems as if brakes we licked only does this when hot . Ant ideas what could be prob the prev owner never looked after the suv and the tc oil was black also noted the the mags had pores in them so going to have them powder coated any idea if I shoud go daker with the powder coat or stick orig will try to upload pic as I wanted to put alpina reps the new design but could not get 17 in this and X3 are know for clunk noises when tyres are changed also common prob

#12 ·
There's actually one and only one. If it was really black when it was changed, I'd change it again. Mine was REALLY dark at 70k miles with the first change. I changed it a second time a few hundred miles later. It was again quite dark but not as bad. I'm hoping what's in there now looks good enough to last a while. I'll change it probably around 90k miles.

#19 ·
Hi everyone wanted to know if anybody having this issue on x3 when hot and parked on an incline the brakes tend to hold the car and this happens only while hot when cold and come to incline the car will roll back when in neutral mine is a manual then thereis slight resistance when pulling off I think there was a feature on the x3 which hold the car until you put it in gear but mine does not have this feature ant ideas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.