BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My 2013 750li needs engine replaced at 6,000 miles

5K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  CABimmerNation 
#1 ·
Apparently I'm not the only one. Something to do with the oil system in certain VIN numbers. They have to replace the entire engine on my lease I've has for 4 months. Anyone else heard of this?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#2 ·
So the new engine has some crap as well. Unbelievable...

#4 ·
I just called BMW today. I don't want the car anymore, I want a new one for the same money. I love the car...although the new body style looks too much like a 5 series in my opinion. I don't want a 3 month old car with a brand new engine, CA Lemon Law should cover that on nearly $100k car.

#6 ·
Champagne problems I guess :) I'll wait and hear back from them to see what they say. I figured getting a new car might be a long shot but I do feel I shouldn't have been sold the car when BMW was aware of the problem with a certain range of VIN numbers. Either way, I want to be back in a 750 soon.

#9 · (Edited)
Please elaborate on the specifics regarding the VIN #. What VIN #'s are alledged to be defective?

#8 ·
I don't think the dealer sold me a bad car knowingly. I like to give companies the benefit of the doubt that they don't try to screw customers. However, if they knew that certain vin numbers had these problems they should have put the information out to the dealers. I could understand if I got it at the beginning of the year, but I bought literally the last 2013 on the lot and got a smoking deal on it. Like I said, its a pretty good problem to have I guess in the grand scheme of things when you think about it. Yes, they put me in a 5 series loaner for now and they are looking for something bigger.

#18 ·
c0nfused.

this implies that bmw knew about this problem before you bought the car, i see no info of the sort, your infering they knew, do you know when they found out about this problem, are you assuming this is witheld info because they know the vins of the cars with problems???? they built them, thus they would be able to go back "retroactivly" and see "jim bob" was the guy on second shift in the oil system assembly station, all his cars are bad, and recall any cars he touched, they would know this by the vin of the car. hence the contacted you based on your vin, probably as soon as the could track down the issue, and find out what batch of cars was affected. btw FIRE JIM BOB. i feel for ou, its a sweet car, i love bmw, sometimes you just have to play along. i would never resort to litigation over a non problem, just clutters the judicial system.

#10 ·
Apparently I'm not the only one. Something to do with the oil system in certain VIN numbers. They have to replace the entire engine on my lease I've has for 4 months. Anyone else heard of this?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
What did I miss? Did your current engine break down or are they being proactive and replacing your engine due to an alert from BMW?? I looked at your previous posts and dont see where you say you had a problem. If they are being proactive then thats one hell of a recall!

#34 ·
Replying to myself..but going by the thread, Im guessing that BMW called you, even though you had no issues, and is currently replacing your engine. Is there a precedence for this? To recall cars and replace the engine?? Are they going to replace the engine on thousands of cars that probably fall within the VIN range?
Im scratching my head on this whole thing.:confused:

#11 ·
Ah ****. I've had my 2013 lease for just about as long as you. If they think I'm going to drive around in a 328 or an X1 for a month while they swap my engine they can either suck a D ore refund one of my lease payments. Already been seeing some hesitation during idle at <3k miles.

#14 ·
There is no way a local BMW dealership can do an engine swap and make it work right in a month.

#15 ·
You are totally wrong. I dont know where you have had an engine put in that took a month but they played you. Probably because you don't know what your talking about and angered some employee. The op has no history of problems with the car, there is no basis for the car being a lemon. Repeated attempts at repair with no result constitutes a lemon, not bmw proactively remedying an issue that may come up but which has not shown itself as of yet. According to the posts.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using BimmerApp mobile app

#28 · (Edited)
There is no way a local BMW dealership can do an engine swap and make it work right in a month.
Yes they can. Mine was recently completely taken out and put back together in a less than a month. They remove all crap on the way (suspension, etc) and remove the engine from the bottom. It takes maximum 2 days to get the engine and tranny out and no more than a week to have the new one in and re-program. If engine is not in stock, 5 days they it from Germany.

I think the dealer will do what it takes to get that engine swap done in less than four weeks.

CABimmernation, remember they swapping complete engine. It may take more time to tear the engine down and rebuild and re-assemble to car.

#27 ·
You got me, I was searching for bmw advertisements in all my consumer reports magazines about lemon laws and payoffs. I've since adjusted my tactic to incorporate the internet and also can't find anyone who has had a similar experience. Please speak up if you know of anyone that has received such a payout for a similar situation.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using BimmerApp mobile app

#29 ·
We didn't find out whether BMW recalled the engine proactively or it exhibited some problems that led to them wanting the engine replaced.

OP can you elaborate whether you experienced issues with your engine or BMW recalled it proactively.

Thanks.

#33 ·
Just my actual experience here.

I HAD a 2013 B7 Alpina LWB that I purchased late last May and returned early December. I had multiple problems of various sorts over the six months I owned the car, They included bad paint, faulty climate fan, oil consumption, and then the worst, a stuttering at the low end of second gear when coming to a stop. They thought it was a fuel management problem, but they could not come up with a solution. At the same time, I was having some pretty rough downshifts as well as some serious hard starts. It was like popping the clutch on some starts from a complete stop. They asked for a few weeks to resolve the problem, then called me back two weeks later to ask me what I wanted to do since the service manager did not think the engineers were making my issue a priority. He met with BMW NA and they basically let me tell them what I wanted to do. I was reasonable and they were reasonable.

I did not have to go down the Lemon route, but I made it clear to them that I would if I had to. My local guys really went to bat for me. I am not sure I would have gotten such an amicable outcome from every other dealer out there.

Good luck.

#35 ·
Just my actual experience here.

I HAD a 2013 B7 Alpina LWB that I purchased late last May and returned early December. I had multiple problems of various sorts over the six months I owned the car, They included bad paint, faulty climate fan, oil consumption, and then the worst, a stuttering at the low end of second gear when coming to a stop. They thought it was a fuel management problem, but they could not come up with a solution. At the same time, I was having some pretty rough downshifts as well as some serious hard starts. It was like popping the clutch on some starts from a complete stop. They asked for a few weeks to resolve the problem, then called me back two weeks later to ask me what I wanted to do since the service manager did not think the engineers were making my issue a priority. He met with BMW NA and they basically let me tell them what I wanted to do. I was reasonable and they were reasonable.

I did not have to go down the Lemon route, but I made it clear to them that I would if I had to. My local guys really went to bat for me. I am not sure I would have gotten such an amicable outcome from every other dealer out there.

Good luck.
And the reason that they bought it back from you is so they could turn it around and sell it as a used car to the next guy. A used car with a history will sell for much more than a car that has gone through the lemon law process and had it's title branded. It seems like they are stepping up for you, in reality they are just looking out for their own bottom line. I used to have my dealers license and I saw first hand the huge bath that basically brand new cars took at auction that were branded lemons. I used this knowledge to get $. Some 7 owners on here have settled for a car payment or two or for BMW to extend their warranty by a month or two. They got what they thought was fair, I got what I thought was fair.

#36 ·
Yea, I know that, but they are taking a huge price reduction on it, around 30%. It is on their site for sale. That being said, a friend of mine went and test drove it and they were completely open about the unresolved issue. All he had to do was ask why the previous owner got out of it.

My real point is that if he even can come remotely close to qualifying under the lemon law, the dealer should try to avoid that as they did here. It's up to the next guy to do his homework. Personally, I only buy new and I only buy, no leases. I usually keep my cars for a longer period though.

#39 ·
Is it the 2013 with 6k miles for $116,589? If so, it's the highest priced 2013 B7 in the country on Autotrader.

#43 ·
I've had to deal with BMWNA on three separate occasions for vehicles that had issues, and for the most part, they've stepped up and took care of me.

My 2006 645ci was DOA. i couldn't even take it home the first night because of an issue and 3 weeks later, they lemoned it and returned all my money.

My 2007 M5 was lemoned about 2 years after purchasing it and they refunded practically everything i had paid into the car from day one. As someone else mentioned, California's lemon law is awesome and they base the repayment on the first occurrence of problems, which in my case was at 396 miles on the M5. I returned it with 41k miles and paid about $900 in use and other crap for driving it two years.

My 2012 BMW 535i was lemoned 6 weeks after i bought it for the infamous steering/suspension issues. BMW agreed right away to take it back and refund me. I followed that car to see what happens to it. Sticker on it was $62k, sold at auction for $31,500 and then some dealer in Tennessee picked it up and listed it for $39,995. Talk about taking a bath on a new car with 900 miles.

#45 ·
I've had to deal with BMWNA on three separate occasions for vehicles that had issues, and for the most part, they've stepped up and took care of me.

My 2006 645ci was DOA. i couldn't even take it home the first night because of an issue and 3 weeks later, they lemoned it and returned all my money.

My 2007 M5 was lemoned about 2 years after purchasing it and they refunded practically everything i had paid into the car from day one. As someone else mentioned, California's lemon law is awesome and they base the repayment on the first occurrence of problems, which in my case was at 396 miles on the M5. I returned it with 41k miles and paid about $900 in use and other crap for driving it two years.

My 2012 BMW 535i was lemoned 6 weeks after i bought it for the infamous steering/suspension issues. BMW agreed right away to take it back and refund me. I followed that car to see what happens to it. Sticker on it was $62k, sold at auction for $31,500 and then some dealer in Tennessee picked it up and listed it for $39,995. Talk about taking a bath on a new car with 900 miles.
Ugh - what in the world are you doing still buying BMWs? I would have been long gone after the first lemoned car. Glad they took care of you in the end.

#44 · (Edited)
Phew, sounds like BMW is crap quality... I had some serious issues with an E65 diesel (136th miles): a butterfly valve flew into the engine resulting in 5000$ repairs!! Since the car was 9 years old, BMW didn't refund anything, although this issue was common and newly designed valves were introduced in the E66. And, I just can't believe BMW finds it 'normal' wear and tear for pieces of their car to fly in the engine...so disappointing... So, although I LOVE driving the 7-series, I've had concerns about the reliability. Given the posts on serious reliability issues on Bimmerfest makes me very reluctant to buy another Siebener....

#49 ·
I bought a lemon 750li. The car was taken back 3 times for a camera malfunction for the driver side wheel well. I was not concerned the car was a lemon by any means. First, I get both the 100k maintenance and CPO. Second, car had under 30,000 miles and I got it for $15k less than other comparables. The thing that boggles my mind is there must be some ****ty techs in Cali. When I bought my car, the camera light malfunction was still on. I took it to my dealer here in Indy and they stated that there was corrosion on the connection of the camera and replaced that and the wiring.. I have had zero issues with that ever since. Not sure why this was not done or looked at in the 3 times it went back to service when there was a chance that it could be lemoned.

Also, I have noticed forums are for tech savvy users and there are alot of owners who are not. Most info on any forums is bitching about some type of problem BMW or even about other manufactures dropping the ball. To be truthful, there have been issues that I had on my car and would have never complained about or known about unless it was for this forum. So yes it is a plus to the user, but I also believe we develop a hyper sensitivity based on others horror stories.

Rent a chrysler 300 or Chevy Impala and then get back in your 7 after a week. I promise, even with some issues, its worth it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.