BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

m42 motor upgrades

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  xTanked e30x 
#1 ·
so monday im picking up my second e30. this time its an 87 325is with a newer m42 motor swapped into it. i know nothing about these motors. could someone tell what i could do to gain alittle more power? and yes i know this is the e36 page.

#3 ·
the way the cars built with the Eta rear end, i wanna get a little bit more power. i heard about people having no problem running turbo on stock internals with this motor. I know the eta motors from stock e30s didnt work great with cold air intakes. is this motor better for that?

#5 ·
You can run almost any stock engine with a turbo as long as you have dropped the compression and don't boost over 0.5 bar. But if you do get forged internals the m42 makes a great FI engine and in a e30 it is brilliant. We have a e30 with the 4 banger in S.A that runs a 10.8sec 1/4 mile, it is a full street legal car (all the seats,glass windows) and was build by Budler Motorsport.
On the CAI side of things you can do it but don't expect too much. On my wifes e36 with the m44 engine I have done the exhaust (Free flow with no cats) I have a Uni-Q chip on it and I only got it from a 103kw to 116kw and 180nm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.