BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Vibration Issues

904 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ebida3 
#1 ·
I drove my wife to an appointment today and everything was fine. When I came out and started the car I had a bad vibration under the car. It seemed to go away and then return while driving. I thought it might be the drive shaft. Is there any one out there that has had similar issues?

#2 · (Edited)
You need to isolate the vibration.

While the vib is happening shift the car into neutral, coast and see if the vib stops. If it does then the vib is engine. If the vib persists then it's a wheel problem related.

You may want to visit a local auto parts chain and have them pull the codes.

Report back, there are too many variables to explain vibs either way.

#4 ·
If the vibration only occurs under acceleration, then check engine mounts, trans mounts and then driveshaft centre bearing. The centre bearing is probably the most common culprit as it is suspended in a rubber 'diaphragm' which perishes and becomes brittle with age, and after hanging on for ages with cracks around 90% of the circumference, will suddenly give up the ghost and separate completely, allowing excessive movement and causing the driveshaft to slap around under acceleration. You will normally feel this as a 'seat of the pants' thumping or vibration.

#5 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I found that the vibrations occurred when I was at idle and felt as if it got better under driving condition. After a closer look I found that there was a crack in the fan blade. This was nice because of it being the least expensive and the least challenging to repair. I also had a broken motor mount that could have caused the broken blade to begin with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.