BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How many miles on your transmission before repairs or replacement needed?

• 50,000 to 100,000...transmission repaired/replaced.

Votes: 175 7.6%
  • 50,000 to 100,000...no problems!!!

Votes: 678 29.5%
  • 100,001 to 125,000...transmission repaired/replaced.

Votes: 125 5.4%
  • 100,001 to 125,000...no problems!!!

Votes: 393 17.1%
  • 125,001 to 150,000...transmission repaired/replaced.

Votes: 104 4.5%
  • 125,001 to 150,000...no problems!!!

Votes: 294 12.8%
  • 150,001 to 175,000 or more...tranny repaired/replaced.

Votes: 80 3.5%
  • 150,001 to 175,000 or more...no problems!!!

Votes: 448 19.5%

How many miles on AUTOMATIC transmission before failure? (or no problems at all?)

559K views 909 replies 492 participants last post by  ashjab 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm just curious on how many miles your car has been driven with or without an automatic transmission failure. If your transimission failed, do you think you maintained it properly before failure?

The poll will give some interesting info, but your comments about your particular situation are welcome.

Thanks for looking. :)

Edit: KrisL: Also, please reply to this thread stating your model year: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331801

#120 ·
Bmw transmission service refusal

Why is it that the Bmw dealer service refuses to change the trans fluid?? I had an independent also refuse - 65k miles & downshifting hard to a stop. Anyone know of a good shop in Atlanta, Ga? Thanks.

Bmw couldn't care less about you once your car is out of warranty!

#121 ·
Why is it that the Bmw dealer service refuses to change the trans fluid?? I had an independent also refuse - 65k miles & downshifting hard to a stop. Anyone know of a good shop in Atlanta, Ga? Thanks.

Bmw couldn't care less about you once your car is out of warranty!
For downshifting you will need update software for auto trans.
I think it's SI 24 03 03 (update EGS control unit).

#122 ·
Now you can see why I dumped my 330ci for a new Acura. Sure, there is nothing I know of that can compare to the confidence of driving a "Bimmer". but I could not x=stand the indiffrence of service and/or cooperation in handling problems. The lack of a spare tire and being forced to purchase run flats did it. I honestly miss the BMW buyt can live with what I have, and so far in a years and one half has not need one thing other that 2 oil changes.

#123 ·
I'm sure the Acura more reliable then BMW, I had one 2000 Acura 3.2TL. Between 80-130K I have always had check engine on for some or different reasons. Then I traded for GMC Acadia.
I had a lot different cars- Audi, Acura, VW, Nissan, Subura and etc, but I have never found better driving experience then BMW. I have not had a Benz. May be Benz will better for driving?! It's still a open Q.

#130 ·
no problems as of yet. Although i have some issues when i am riding along at 70mph and then it goes from 2.5 rpm to 3.5 rpms and seems as though the engine or car is working harder and then there are days when it does not happen, the car does not idle rough or anything.... not sure what those are, i am do to change my plugs and hope that solves the rough idling but the rpm issue maybe out of my league... anyone game to take a try on it.... go for it.

#131 ·
2001 cic with 55K miles on it: At 54K miles, parked in the garage and wouldn't go in reverse; transmission had to be replaced. Also at 54K miles had to replace air sensor, air pump , leaking oil filter housing seal and intake boot. At 53K miles had to replace the lower control arms. Now at 55K miles the power steering pump has to be replaced. And these are marketed as the "ultimate driving machines?"

#143 ·
2000 323i

145,000 and I lost reverse on my 323. Global transmission rebuilt 15,000 miles ago and stated rebuild kit is much heavier duty drum than the original. Never performed any maintenance on it. Shop recommends to come in at 100,000 and they'll flush it and change the fluid. This transimission shop is walking distance from the BMW dealer and he sees a lot of them. cost $2,800, dealer wanted $5400..2 year 24 month guranttee and a5 months into it so far so good.

#144 ·
I've got 120k...newly aquired. Had a harsh shift from 2 to 1, but it turned out to be just a software update. Mechanic said tranny fluid looked good, per his 'loosen and tighten fast' technique.

My buddy has a '02 325xi with 250k with no problems, and his dad has a '01 330xi with 280k with no problems...I remain hopeful. :dunno:

#146 ·
i hab a 2003 330ci auto. hab 57000 miles and my reverse gear gets alittle sticky (clunk sound) sometimes, and when i go up hill it makes a slight click noise from bottom. will it help to change tranny fluid and filter to prevent premature auto gearbox failure? Will it help? which make and type should i use for fluid? or am i already done, and i would need to look into new or rebuild tranny in the near future? PLEASE HELPPPPPP....

#149 ·
just passed 50k on my '04 325i and ok so far. i thought i noticed some slippage going in and out of reverse way back around 20k miles, but it's never consistent. i still feel a tiny hesitation to engage reverse at times but barely noticeable, don't think it's anything. car otherwise drives perfectly... hit up some nice twisties in the Catskills the other week and had a blast. it's never going to be as trouble-free as a toyota corolla but the driving pleasure is totally worth it. :)