BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What is this engine part? (Getting to know my M54 engine bay)

219K views 144 replies 35 participants last post by  Dynamic Entry 
#1 ·
Over time, I've come to know (by necessity) almost every large item in the M54 engine bay ... but some items still are unknown to me ...

What is this engine part?

Attachments

See less See more
#25 ·
This picture seems showing the high pressure one. It is large and close to the tank and radiator. It is connected to a junction where other pipes are also connected.

The low-pressure one seems to be towards center and right side of the engine. It is connected to a pipe. Smaller cap on this port.

However, the valve came with the can does not fit well (popped the outer valve) and freons leak from the system when i tried connecting and the pressure shows high (60 psi) in the beginning of red zone.

Now I see the air that blows from both the vents inside the car are not cooling.
May be another problem that does not give cool air.
-Rabi

#10 ·
ooooh- a pop quiz!

emissions valve, opens at cold start to allow secondary air pump to pump air into the exhaust to light the cats.

intake DISA valve

heater valve for the dual HVAC system

VANOS solenoid/ VANOS adjustment unit

hose to CCV from valve cover

that is simply an electrical connector you have circled, unless my eyes are missing something

The "box" with all the brown wires is a common chassis ground for several things.

that would be the high side.

#12 ·
ooooh- a pop quiz!
Thanks Mark,
I appreciate the help. What I'm doing is getting an annotated photo ready, for newbies and oldies alike, with all the visible parts labeled.

That way, anyone who opens their hood would know what everything is!

Thank you for taking the time and energy to help me in that endeavor!

#18 ·
I clean mine two to three times a year, I've done it on all my cars and my wife's as well. I use a generous amount of Simple Green from a pump spray bottle, a soft paint brush for stubborn spots and a stiffer brush for really stubborn spots (like around the power steering cap and bracket) and a gentle spray from a hose to wash the grime/dirt/grease away, top and bottom. I will dry what I can with a towel or rag then drive the car until the engine bay warms up enough to dry the remaining water. Sometimes I will "condition" the plastic and rubbery parts with a protectant like Armorall. Be sure to cover your power steering reservoir cap with a plastic bag to prevent water from entering thru the small weep hole before spraying anything! You may need a few paper towels to soak up the water that will accumulate in the wells on top of the struts, too.

#21 ·
I mix up a bucket with very warm water and Dawn dish soap, Wet the engine bay down first with a light spray of water, then use a wash mitt and the Dawn mixture to suds up the engine bay, then rinse it off with a light spray, and blot it dry with a few old towels. The dawn cuts grease and oil quite well, but if you get it on the body of the car it will also remove every speck of wax. In fact, I use it for stripping wax when I'm doing a full detail on the paint. As far as water causing problems, a light spray isn't a problem, but NEVER use a pressure washer or coin-op high pressure on the engine.

And yes, you can go crazy and detail the entire engine compartment:

#30 · (Edited)

Attachments

#34 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.