BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2005 x5 reading misfire

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  upallnight 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 x5 I have taken it to the BMW dealer and they still can't not fix. Check engine lights flas and at times it will not go over 5 mph, but if the codes are reset it will be fine for a day or two. Codes are reading misfire on 5 and 7 also multiple misfires and running to rich, can someone please help me out with this please. Have replaced plugs and coils and they supposedly did a smoke test and still nothing...:dunno: thank you

#2 · (Edited)
Help us help you better...once again, the most important details about your "X5" is missing. Please consider creating a signature that has your model/model year/build date. The E53 X5 has multiple models/engines/transmissions/parts/etc that change during the production from the 2000-2006 model year.

If you have the 4.4 (N62) engine...do a search using "intermediate levers" as the search phrase...or do a google search using "bmw e53 x5 intermediate levers"...and see if your symptoms match this issue.

#3 · (Edited)
If it is fine after you reset the SES light then you have a misfire in which after a while, the computer is shutting down the injector(s). The engine may have a "slight " misfire, but after x numbers of misfires has been registered on the computer the computer will shut down the injector in the cylinder that is misfiring so now you don't have a "slight" misfire, but a misfire all the time. A "Lean Condition" will be classified by the computer as a misfire even though the cylinder is firing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.