BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Can the X5 35d tow this...?

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Emission 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I think it all depends on how many undocumented immigrants and/or bales of marijuana you are planning on bringing back across the border with you.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

#3 ·
Three and one kilo, as that is all that fit under the double bed (behind the axle to reduce the tongue weight).

- Mike

#5 ·
The weight will be fine, tongue weight is a little heavy, wd hitch would maybe help. What terrain are you traveling?

I would do it without flinching, what's your experience?

Jay

#6 ·
Factory hitch, driving in SoCa mostly (maybe a few hills, but no worries there).

I've towed maybe a dozen times with my last X5 (NA 3.0-liter gas) a race car with combined weight (trailer and car) of about 5,800 lbs.

I'm not easily intimidated.

- Mike

#7 ·
You'll be fine. Enjoy the vacation and report back on how much of a tow pig the X5d really is :)

On a side note that trailer looks pretty awesome for a weekender, MSRP???

Jay

#8 ·
About $75,000... But not one cent for me. Airstream called me up and offered it to me for a long weekend. ;)

- Mike

#9 · (Edited)
If I'm reading that brochure right, it looks like tongue weight exceeds the E70 hitch rating by a couple hundred pounds. I tow a trailer with similar dimensions, but tongue weight is half of that airstream's. Be safe!

Land vehicle Vehicle Transport Car Luxury vehicle

#10 ·
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the weight, but the tongue weight is too high. Make sure that you aren't exceeding the rear axle load capacity.

#11 ·
#12 · (Edited)
Page 289 of my 35D owners manual,
Approved rear axle weight - 3858 lbs
without 3rd row - 3395 lbs

The gross vehicle weight rating changes too
Approved gross vehicle weight - 6614 lbs
without 3rd row seats - 6294 lbs

The OE hitch has a 600 lb tongue weight rating too, so even if you factor in a 10% over, you would still be over the limit

#15 ·
Page 289 of my 35D owners manual,
Approved rear axle weight - 3858 lbs
without 3rd row - 3395 lbs

The gross vehicle weight rating changes too
Approved gross vehicle weight - 6614 lbs
without 3rd row seats - 6294 lbs

The OE hitch has a 600 lb tongue weight rating too, so even if you factor in a 10% over, you would still be over the limit
I agree.

Mike maybe one of the domestic mfgrs will park a nice 'slade or Superduty powerstroke in your driveway over night as a surprise. No problem with one of those for sure!:angel:
I can pretty much get anything I want in my driveway with a quick phone call... Infiniti QX56 (rated to 8,500 pounds) would be comfy and nice... ;)

Lots of weight, 4 four people in the car. No self leveling. I'm assuming lots of gear. No, I wouldn't do it. Even if the diesel would still pull the hell out of it.
Yes, my thoughts exactly.

- Mike

#14 ·
Lots of weight, 4 four people in the car. No self leveling. I'm assuming lots of gear. No, I wouldn't do it. Even if the diesel would still pull the hell out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.