BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

In the market for an X5. What mileage should I not go over if purchasing an 04 - 06?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Scott ZHP 
#1 ·
I want a 2004 - 2006 X5. Either a 4.4i or a 4.8is. What is the maximum mileage I should accept for this vehicle? I am new to BMW. Thanks!

#2 ·
In the market for an X5. What mileage should I not go over if purchasing an 04

Typically more than 10k-12k a year is going to be on the higher side of mileage.
The power on the v8 is great but be warned. When those engines reach 100k depending on what if anything the previous owner replaced as preventative maintenance you can be in for a doozy. Ask me about my experience with my 745 equipped with an n62 (bmw v8) and you'll know why i got a well optioned 3.0L x5 as its replacement. So my opinion is a bit biased but not without reason.
All that being said if you're looking for a v8 get the lowest mileage you can afford and make sure you have some money for potential issues aside as well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#3 ·
+1 on the 3.0i advice. The M54 issues are well known/documented and all fairly easy to address. And maintenance records are worth more than mileage, IMO. I'd rather have a well maintaned higher mileage vehicle than a low mileage neglected X5.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I just bought an 06 3.0i with 120k miles a few months back. 2k miles since I bought it. Only issue was needing a new windshield washer pump, easy fix I did myself.

Check every button, every switch, check the manual shifting, make sure you know the Bluetooth code before leaving the dealer (pair up with your phone to make sure it works), crank the stereo to make sure none of the speakers are blown and bring a music CD to test if that works.

I added a sub and BMW aux input adapter myself to make the tunes better. I found all the directions on this website (thx!).

And give it a good long test drive over as varied of road conditions as possible.

Of course, reliability long term will tell the real story, but everything I can think of works perfectly fine and am getting 19.4 mpg in mostly in-city driving overall, with a high of 25 in one highway-only run of 100 miles (straight into the wind too).

It drives fantastic, couldn't be any happier. Risky with the miles, but nowadays cars can seemingly pile up the miles a lot better than say 20 years ago - and I'd bet more on a BMW in-line 6 than just about any other engine/make. With the 3.0...wasn't nearly as worried as with a V8 given what I've read, and I was more than satisfied with the guts it does have. Not a fast truck, but not an under-powered turd either - and mpg were important to me, I'm averaging 3.5 mpg better overall than my last SUV so I'm happy there. It also tows my 2500 lb boat with ease.

In short, do your research...my first BMW so I'm betting I'm missing something I should have checked - but I think this truck is going to make me happy for quite a long time.

#7 ·
I bought a high mileage 2001 X5 4.4i 05/2013 it had 166,700 miles when I purchased it. I had heard a lot of horror stories about the 4.4i and so when the engine light came on I took it to a local BMW mechanic and there were a few issues that needed addressing...1. the condenser fan 2. secondary air injection pump and 3. a cam shaft sensor. To have all this done at the shop was going to run me $1450 with parts. I paid them to replace the camshaft sensor, so along with the inspection and repair I paid $258.00. After that I went to my own mechanic and purchased the necessary parts online and paid $500 including parts to have it fixed. I am thoroughly pleased with my purchase. It runs strong and fast and I am getting 18.9 mpg combine city highway which is about the same as I was getting with my 2011 Chevy Traverse LTZ before selling it and purchasing the X5. The X5 is way way more fun to drive and about the same level of comfort from a vehicle that is 10 years older. So I concur with most of the posters on here....be more concerned with the vehicles upkeep / maintenance records than with the mileage because these vehicle run great if they are maintained.

#9 ·
In the market for an X5. What mileage should I not go over if purchasing an 04

Yeah, I concur absolutely with previous post. All depends on how well the car is maintained and serviced. BMW are, despite what you may have been told, are extremely reliable, well built and professionally engineered cars and BMW work very hard to guarantee their cars don't break down, provided you submit it to regular maintenance and cleaning, authorised BMW service and no abuse driving styles. I believe the e53 x5 is capable of 800000km and more, provided proper maintenance is followed.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#10 ·
The 3.0 is there best engine, Unless your really looking for crazy power the 3.0 is more than enough. Put the upgraded wheels on it and have the best of both worlds.:thumbup:

#11 ·
Yes; that's exactly what I did. I bought my 01 X5 new; a month or so later I bought the 19in Y-spoke wheels from the Sport Package and it's been great.

The 3.0i is a pleasure to work on; well, except the CCV and hoses, they're a major pain to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.