BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Missing a shift on the new M3, Do you worry?

6K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  The`Garrett 
#1 ·
It'll be the most horrifying thing to happen to a car. Imagine on 5th, looking for 6th, at 8000rpm, got 4th... Boom! :cry: It might happen, especially late at night, kinda tired, no cars on the road...

Just thinking about this give me chills. I think I'm gonna wait for the SMG...

What do you think?

#2 ·
I don't figure the risk is any different than shifting at the limit when the limits are lower. You'll still bend the valves in most econoboxes if you do that. I had one of the early S2000's, shifting at 9K RPM! Second gear syncromesh was a weakness in that design (replaced twice under warranty, agreed not my fault). And before that, an Integra GSR (8K RPM) that made 80K miles before trade-in. Can't wait to try this new motor.

#5 ·
This is the kind of think I think about all the time.

This, too...

What would happen if one of the Airplanes that flies overhead on their descent to the airport were to drop one of it's engines off and it were to land right on top of my house? Should I move? Or install some sort of protective shield?

#10 ·
I just figure that if I can't afford to replace the engine, I shouldn't be driving that hard. And I figure that I could have blown up at least a couple of engines for what ditching an SMG II car cost me.

#14 ·
Just pretend that 4th is the top gear and you'll never have to worry about that. Hmm....that might not work, what if you go from 3rd to 2nd when you want 4th? :eeps: OK, here's the new plan just shift from 1st to 2nd and stop there. You should be able to do 65 in 2nd so you'll be fine on the highway and you'll NEVER have to worry about a miss shift again. Problem solved, you're welcome. :thumbup:

#16 ·
Mis-shifts

It'll be the most horrifying thing to happen to a car. Imagine on 5th, looking for 6th, at 8000rpm, got 4th... Boom! :cry: It might happen, especially late at night, kinda tired, no cars on the road...

Just thinking about this give me chills. I think I'm gonna wait for the SMG...

What do you think?
No SMG coming, but this may be the dual clatch tranny coming next year in the E92 M3.

KEY BENEFITS
- Optimized efficiency
- Shifting without interruption of traction
- Excellent comfort
- Very quick and sportive shiftings possible
Max. Torque Capacity 600 Nm
Weight (dry) 79 kg
Installation length 660 mm
Synchronization
1st, 2nd and 3th gear dual cone
4th and 5th gear single cone
6th, and 7th gear dual cone
Reverse gear single cone

Gear Spread Ratio 6,8
Max. Gross Vehicle Mass/Gross Trailer Mass 2500 kg/4500 kg
Shifter System hydraulic
Miscellaneous DCT dual clutch transmission

http://www.getrag.de
Click on Transmissions/Dual Clutch Transmissions, then from the popdowns on the right DCT/Inline/Over 400 NM Torque

#20 ·
This is the silliest thread I've seen in the M3 forum. If you worry about this, you should be driving a low horsepower slushie, as the extra power of an M3 could get you into trouble also.

#22 ·
Do you own an M3? I just had my ECU sent to an BMWNA engineer in NJ due to my VANOS destruction. The dealer tried to blame it on me! I had a major worry.....$16,000 for a new motor installation on a car with 5000 miles. I have the means but can think of alot of great add-ons for my car for that kind of money. It was covered becuase there was no "money shift" recorded.

Ed

#23 ·
Proper shift technique will prevent misshifts: http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

The BMW shift levers are actually ergonomically designed for this sort of shifting. Note that rather than using the typical ball on stick design, their shifters are shaped more like handles. Ever wonder why?

I always cringe when I watch people (most people who drive a manual trans) simply grope the shifter from the top and slam it from gear to gear. Of course, most people driving a manual trans don't know how to downshift properly, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.