BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2012 x6

7K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  bdgtexas 
#1 ·
I have driven a RR sport for 5 years and over the summer decided it was time to get something new. I liked the X6 and test drove a new RR sport also.

Somehow I convinced myself to keep the RR sport for it's practicality and then got a 335I convertible for fun and also because I had never owned a convertible. The 335i is great to drive and I made it the way I wanted it, but after 5 months it's spent all it's time sitting in the garage because it's not practical to drive to work (which is where I am most of the time, spending 20+ days a month in hotels out of state + baggage, so no opportunity to drive the 335i).

Now Im looking at getting an X6 and trading in both which the dealer is of course happy to do :p. The fact is the X6 is unique and I just don't see too many manly SUV/performance types out there. The RR sport is getting a little long in the tooth and cannot touch the tech of the BMW class. I also want a car that I can enjoy all the time - two cars is overrated in my situation.

I have read review after review and looked at specs. I am going to load it up and add the performance package at $2,800 +$1,000 to paint/fit, which imho makes it look a lot better and quite frankly I think the X6M is just too much money. Like my 335i, I wanted the M sport package which I understood was supposed to be around in 2010, but my dealer told me no can do.

My big question regards the model and performance i.e. 3.5 versus 5.0. I have dismissed the X6M as too expensive for me even though top of the line performance would be attractive. Is the performance difference between the two that much different (I would want something at least as quick as the stock 335i) and is it worth considering the performance tune from bmw for the extra 49 hp. Has anyone done it.

I will be going to my dealer this wednesday to try to make a deal and below are the options I'm looking at. General comments on the two variants and options to get etc would be very much appreciated from everyone.

Black Sapphire Metallic
Oyster Nevada Leather
Dark wood trim
Cold Weather Package
Premium Package
Sport Package
20" Light alloy Y-Spoke wheels
Technology Package
3 Rear Seats
Running boards
Soft-close automatic doors
BMW Apple iPhone Media / BMW Apps + Adapter
BMW Performance Black Kidney Grille
Performance Aerodynamic kit - matched color

Thanks in advance.:thumbup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Well first of all you should consider power to weight ratio. I cannot see how the same engine that powers a 1 and 3 series should be placed in a much heavier X6. As soon as resistance is applied ie passengers, luggage, uphill gradients the xDrive35i is bound to labour compared to a 50i.
Gazetted performance velocity figures do not consider reaction to load. There is no way that a 35i can compare with the 50i. My choice would be the big 50. The M is enticing but I can't afford it!
I notice you've gone for the sports package. I would consider it a contradiction to go for a smaller engine in such a large car. How can you achieve sporting performance from an underpowered engine?
When I eventually buy a sports packaged X6 xDrive50i I will enquire whether I can have the package with chrome door trim and certainly not Shadowline. Tinted windows, chrome door trim, chrome front grill, black sapphire or deep sea blue exterior paint will give a dramatic effect. This is how BMW initially presented the X6 Concept and it is a winning formula. Shadowline should not be forced into the Sports Package. Customers should have a choice.

#17 ·
I agree with the chrome trim. As a matter of fact, I got the 50i because it had the chrome trim and kidney grills... though I don't think I needed the extra power. It did feel like a lot for a "small" preference. Went with Midnight Blue because it looked great in the brochure...

#3 ·
If you want something that's "at least as quick" as your 335i, you won't be happy with the X6 35i. I test-drove both variants before ordering our 50i. The 35i was capable and smooth, while the 50i is just a (almost obnoxious) brute. It just depends on the personality you want from the vehicle.

#13 ·
the 50i is just a (almost obnoxious) brute. It just depends on the personality you want from the vehicle.
+1

I ordered a 3.5 to save a little gas since the wife drives in town 90% of the time. We drove the 5.0. It's designed to be manly. My wife has a 4.8 X5 now and that has none of the bruteness XZLR8 is talking about. The exhaust on the 5.0 is super deep and snarls. The paddle shift snaps the car. It's all a little trumped up. I've driven an X6M and it was generally smoother and less obnoxious sounding.

Interestingly enough, the 3.5 has noticeably less lag than the V8. I found the V8 produces bags of torque at 2500-4500 and almost sucks you down the road as the engine winds out slowly. The 3.5 revs more like a 3 series. Very different character between these 2.

DRP

#19 · (Edited)
Hey, thanks for your comment. If only I could pick up the X6 in Germany.. My wife (and future child) are there right now! The timing would have been perfect.

I will keep the vert. I don't really need two cars, but I am emotionally attached. I just love the car; however, it is not the best option for car seats, strollers, etc. Maybe I'll sell the vert if it just sits there. Once BMW enabled the 5 seat option on the X6, It was a wrap for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.