BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DINAN Stage 1 or Stage 2 for a 2010 GT 550i

8K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Jones123 
#1 ·
Interested in which upgrade is a better option? I heard that gas mileage improves with the Stage 1 upgrade. Any insight would be much appreciated.

#3 ·
Keady search my post for my overall on the stage 2

go with stage 2... with the GT i didn't find any difference in mpg between 1 and 2, if anything i may get better mpg with 2... the reason.. the car is swifter off the line.. I don't need to floor it off the line to get what i want from the car.....I didn't find a huge loss in MPG when i went Dinan in the first place and i think a lot of that has to do with the lighter foot the Dinan affords you to have....

Go for it you will be amazed..

BUT plan on then wanting to change your suspension even in sport the power of 500HP could use slightly stiffer springs...

And the difference the change of exhaust makes is mind blowing also... i did stage 1 then stage 2 and there was a noticeable difference, but when i switched to Eisenmann exhausted....holy s**t!!

Best thing is people just don't expect it from this big car....

hope this helps...

Keady i didn't notice your location before i went to reply but if your in the tristate area an want to check mine out feel free to PM me...

mp

#11 · (Edited)
Keady search my post for my overall on the stage 2

go with stage 2... with the GT i didn't find any difference in mpg between 1 and 2, if anything i may get better mpg with 2... the reason.. the car is swifter off the line.. I don't need to floor it off the line to get what i want from the car.....I didn't find a huge loss in MPG when i went Dinan in the first place and i think a lot of that has to do with the lighter foot the Dinan affords you to have....

Go for it you will be amazed..

BUT plan on then wanting to change your suspension even in sport the power of 500HP could use slightly stiffer springs...

And the difference the change of exhaust makes is mind blowing also... i did stage 1 then stage 2 and there was a noticeable difference, but when i switched to Eisenmann exhausted....holy s**t!!

Best thing is people just don't expect it from this big car....

hope this helps...

Keady i didn't notice your location before i went to reply but if your in the tristate area an want to check mine out feel free to PM me...

mp
I know the feeling I was one of the first adapters of DINAN Stage 1 on the 550GT when the tune was initially released for the F07. A 550 GT with Dinan is a true sleeper:thumbup::thumbup: I still feel the GT is an incredible value and would consider another one in the future.:)

#4 ·
Got the Dinan Stage 2

Oh my goodness! What an incredible boost in power. I own the highway! I swear 50-100 happens in about 3 seconds. 0-60 is like blinking an eye. Top speed yesterday on a race-track straight-away 150 mph and the car was just cruising as if it were on a cloud. If you own an M3 and need a family vacation sedan, the GT 550i with the Dinan Stage 2 upgrade is a must! People give up following me when I pass on the highway!

#8 ·
Oh my goodness! What an incredible boost in power. I own the highway! I swear 50-100 happens in about 3 seconds. 0-60 is like blinking an eye. Top speed yesterday on a race-track straight-away 150 mph and the car was just cruising as if it were on a cloud. If you own an M3 and need a family vacation sedan, the GT 550i with the Dinan Stage 2 upgrade is a must! People give up following me when I pass on the highway!
Keady
You got Stage 2 already? Man, you wasted no time.
I have given it serious thought..but hesitant because I am afraid that the thousands of dollars spent for upgrade won't be returned upon resale. Cost was like $3,500, correct?
After having the upgrade for a few days, do you feel the need to spend more $$ for Dinan springs?

#9 ·
Springs

As to the upgrade on the Springs, I am waiting for warmer weather to judge. In the past few days it's handled pretty well, but nothing like my 2005 330xi. So, in the spring, I may upgrade the springs! The cost was just over $3200 because of a 10% discount my BMW dealer was offering - through the end of the year. The transition took all of a morning. The pure power is amazing and the P-Zeros run-flats are definitely getting a workout.

#14 ·
Is there a financial return with Dinan?

Ok, but when you sold your GT, did you see any of that $$ back?
I am thinking about when I go to sell the vehicle, what percentage of buyers are going to really appreciate a 100hp gain for over 3k?
I just don't see where I would get that investment back...

#18 ·
Ok, but when you sold your GT, did you see any of that $$ back?
I am thinking about when I go to sell the vehicle, what percentage of buyers are going to really appreciate a 100hp gain for over 3k?
I just don't see where I would get that investment back...
Be weary installing upgrades and expecting a return on them. German cars have the notoriety of being troublesome reliability-wise as they are. It might make it harder to sell in the long run, as people might think it's been driven hard. If anything you might have to take off the upgrades to sell it. I've had a friend have that situation happen to him trying to sell a MB W202.

#19 ·
500hp for a family sedan?

Well, doesn't that suck! Take off the upgrade???? Dinan Stage 2 is starting to equate to no financial sense for me.

Being that the car is a large sedan, the resale market will likely be a family with at least one or two children. Would some consider it a safety issue to transport your family around in a car with 500hp?

*Keady* it appears that you have a family. That much hp doesn't concern you?

#15 ·
Did not Sell the GT

Oh no, I have not sold the GT. I just purchased it and upgraded it. Still plan on more upgrades for the Spring. As for return, you make a valid point, but I love this car and plan on keeping it for many years to come. It has become the family Grand Tourer that I always wanted =)

#17 ·
question for car-fan

Oh no, I have not sold the GT. I just purchased it and upgraded it. Still plan on more upgrades for the Spring. As for return, you make a valid point, but I love this car and plan on keeping it for many years to come. It has become the family Grand Tourer that I always wanted =)
Sorry. The question was directed to car-fan who sold Dinan Stage 1 F07.
If you think so highly of the GT, why did you get rid of it after only a year or so of ownership??
Also, did you code your GT? Does Dinan upgrade erase your coding?

#20 ·
Keady,

Not sure if my post regarding D2 was helpful, youtuned so quickly from the time of my post your mind may have already had you at the dealer.. i believe i was one of the first Gt with D2 tune, certainly in the NY area....
My advice....if you are so blown away by the tune as you sound....

Eisenmann exhaust will surprise the sh*t out of you..great looking quad tips and noticeably additional power....i did sport tune and the sound is perfect..pushes more early air and gives you additional bursts of speed off the line or in hard accelerations...

Same goes for the springs...essentially kicks all modes up one so comfort is now sport and sport sport plus (but maintains the electronic stabilizations you have with sport but lose with sport+, and sport plus gives you the true stiffness you want at the times you need it...
Your comment of what 150 felt like in the straights is equaled when you can blow through s turns with no dive and the handling of a much smaller lighter vehicle..thats what the springs will do for you....

with D@ i hope you have added some stealth toys, built in passport CI, and laser shifter all around..id be in jail without them....

best and enjoy

mp

gt...i look at th upgrades amortized over the life of my driving the car....over 3 years its $25 a week,$3,5 dollars a day..... to truly drive the ultimate driving machine...

#22 ·
there must be a good custom installer in your area.... some BMW dealerships also have an outsourced person that does it for them....i have had all my cars stealthed by Tecnic1 in NYC

#23 ·
Hmmm...tempting. I did see a black GT blow past us on the Merritt Parkway in CT this past Saturday, only to see it pulled over just over the MA border. Anyone care to confess? :)

#24 ·
I enjoyed hauling on the Autobahn, but think it's somewhat irresponsible in the states. Seems he got what he deserved. While the vehicles are designed to cruise safely at Autobahn speeds, we choose to live here, where that's illegal, and the driver training is absolutely lousy compared to what it takes to get a license in Germany. Regardless of anyone's individual skills, most of the other people on the roads are not trained or safe at Autobahn speeds and protocols and that just plain makes it unsafe. Off my soapbox...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.