BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Get missing dash pixels repaired by BMWNA (E39)

224K views 607 replies 258 participants last post by  2nd3series 
#1 ·
Guys,

Just wanted to give a followup on my success of getting BMWNA to pay for the pixel repair on my 2000 540i. For those of you contemplating getting them fixed and paying for it out of your pocket, contact BMWNA first. Basically BMWNA will pay for the parts, you will be responsible for the 1 hour of labor. Here is what you need to do:

First, send an email outlining your problem, something like:

I have a (Year & Model BMW) and a number of pixels in the instrument cluster either function sporadically or no longer function at all. Does BMWNA have a repair/replacement program in place for issues such as this?

(You don't have to type word for word, but you get the picture. ASK, don't demand!!)

Send the email to:

> Leonora Vlaovich
> Customer Relations Coordinator
> BMW of North America, LLC
> 201-573-7742 (phone)
> 201-930-8362 (fax)
> Leonora.Vlaovich@bmwna.com

She will in turn send you a response email asking for this information:

As coordinator for National Customer Relations, I will assign a representative to assist you; however, I need some additional information. Please respond to this email with the name and address on the registration, contact phone numbers, mileage to date, and the last 7 digits of the VIN.

Also, please identify your BMW dealer.

Thank you for your cooperation.

My assigned Rep from BMWNA was Brandi. She was very quick at contacting me and just had me make an appointment with a BMW dealer here in Dallas, I used Dallas BMW (Formerly John Roberts). She then contacted the service manager at the dealership and advised what BMWNA was handling. I dropped the car off in the morning and it was done by 3pm the same day. It cost me a whopping 90.00 bucks, and the DASH now looks great.

I hope this information can be useful to members on the board. Good luck!

Dave
fourwindsflight@yahoo.com
www.tail-wheel.com

See less See more
#592 ·
Can this be done DIY? If I have the tape.
yes, it can be DIY, but it's not necessarily easy. There are two methods to taking apart the gauge cluster, one has a risk of damaging the motors that control the needles and the other method requires drilling holes. I helped a friend with his X5 that had the same pixel issue and we were able to fix about 95% of the problem... for some reason, 3 lines of pixels still didn't come back. We might try again, but we did not use a new ribbon cable.

Based on what I saw taking apart the gauge cluster, the problem is the adhesive used to hold the ribbon tape to the PCB board; it melts over time and smears over the electrical contacts. that's why some people have reported some success with contact cleaner and not even bothering to take it apart (it must dissolve some of the adhesive). i even have a theory that cars in cold climates probably are less likely to develop this issue than cars in hot climates, where the adhesive is getting melted a lot more.

If you do try to DIY, you'll need a T9 *AND* T10 torx long shaft screw driver. You'll read a lot of things online saying you only need T10, but I think that's a mistake. The 4 screws you'll need to reach at the end are T9.

#594 ·
VDO repair

I recommend VDO repair, especially if you live in Southern California. This kind of work is all they do. I had mine done there just yesterday. They have a special rate of $250 for locals, the work is done in Huntington Beach, in 2 hours, while you wait. When its done they run the diagnostics for you to show that everything works perfectly again, and you are on your way. There were 8 or 10 units there shipped from shops all over waiting to be done while I was there.

Initially I had called BMW about this. They asked me all the questions previous posts inicated they would, and then I didn't hear a thing from them. I called again once more, but never heard from BMW again. Since my 2003 had 99000 miles on it, I decided I was going to get at most 25% off a BMW price, so I didn't persist with BMW. Even my local independent shop wanted $850!

I'm not mechanically inclined and have never done any substantive auto work. But taking the instrument cluster out is not hard. There are some directions and photos on vdorepair's website, and a better clip showing the process on YouTube. You just need a #10 Torx and a Phillips screwdriver - that's it. Disconnect the battery first and you'll have it out in 10 minutes. My only problem was I couldn't get the electrical connection to come out of the back of the instrument panel dimming switch, so I just left it connected and rotated the face plate 180 degrees to the left to get it out of the way. Really if I could do it anyone can. So I recommend you take it out yourself and send it off to vdo repair.

Dave G.

#595 ·
I also have moved from a 3 series E30 and now an E46 upto an E39.
In the past, BMW NA combined w/ BMW Car Club of America have helped resolve big ticket items such as the instrument cluster pixel issue..
I called BMW NA today and they wanted proof of ownership, which I had to fax to them ???? Does anyone fax anymore ?
In any event based on past postings, even my legacy of owning BMWs since 1988 and an active CCA member may not help ..

We shall see..

M

#596 ·
#598 ·
Proven Pixel Repair Service

I would use German Auto Recycling in SoCal. You can ship the Cluster to them for $209.99 before shipping or the MID for 179.99 before shipping. Turn around is 1 day. They also offer the Cluster Rings in Chrome or Silver for $40 extra. If your local they can cut you a deal if you pay with cash and can fix it in under 1 hour while you wait.
www.GermanAutoRecycling.com

#601 ·
#603 ·
I have looked on you tube and there are a couple guy's showing the pixel ribbon replacement and they are attaching it to the circuit boar with scotch tape. he is making it look very easy. Yet He does not show the needles being removed he only shows them being put back on. I know you can damage the stepper motors if you just pull them off. taking the speedo out is easy, taking it apart is not too hard just have to go slow and have two sets of hand ready or zips ties and flat head screw drivers. there is also a you tube vid on removing the needles by holding the needle motor shaft with a pair of small needle nose pliers. has anyone done there own repair. I might look for a junk speedo to practice on. You can buy the pixel ribbons for the speedo for $8 to $40 on ebay. you can have it repaired by sending it out for around $150. someone out there must have attempted this DIY.

#607 ·
Dash Pixel repair options

I've tried emailing a few folks at BMWNA with no luck on the Goodwill as of Aug 2014.
I was lucky to have participated back then after reading Agent99's post on how it easy it was.

Since then, it went out again. I ended up taking a similar route as Touring Dude.

There is a place in Riverside called German Recycling that will let you bring your car in.
It cost me $129 + $10 for them to remove & install + $20 for rings.
You don't need the rings, that's cosmetic and optional.

Here's their web site if it helps anyone in a similar situation.
http://www.germanautorecycling.com/repairs/bmw-cluster-pixel-repair

Mola
E39, E60, E70

#605 · (Edited)
Due to the ridiculous heat this summer (at least that's what I attribute it to) my pixel repair by German Audio Tech

( http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E38-E39...tomotive_Services&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae67bbc8d )

failed a month or two ago. But that's why I went with GAT, his repairs have a lifetime warranty and I figgered the cable might fail again. Finally got around to pulling my car apart and shipped it yesterday (USPS Priority Mail and $200 insurance was $12). I was going to run it down to Long Beach and wait like I did back in 2012, but he doesn't do that any more. Just checked USPS and it was delivered this morning. I should have it back tomorrow or Friday (I hope)......

The e-bay link above is to his $149 auction -
this one is the same thing for $129 - Go Figger........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INSTRUM...tomotive_Services&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae5ce1070

#608 ·
E39 Dashboard Repair - If its a BMW M62 its not worth the investment

BMW NA will rarely help on these old cars, so I am not surprised. I had my E39 Dashboard rebuilt by VDORepair.com via Ebay. Note, if you have a V8 540i M62 engine, dont spend another dime on the car until you get the M62 Vanos system and chain guides replaced. Otherwise, you beautiful new dash will wind up in a salvage yard along with your investment. The BMW M62 engine is worthless after 150k to 160k without major and expensive Vanos and timing Chain guide replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.