BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

AE Side by Side Comparison... and finally found a good one!!

66K views 238 replies 50 participants last post by  gmcclintock 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

With my small fleet... I can do a nice comparison between all the lights on the market, so this is the second part of the series. Please see the attached pictures, in the Z4 is the LUX AE LED light... which are the brightest on the market that I have been able to find. On the 3 series is the OEM AE LED lights.... and on the 7 series (the one on the right)... are the AlpineMSS HID light system.

I have to say I am extremely impressed with the AlpineMSS system (www.alpinemss.com). The kit is very high quality, they are just as bright and as white as the OEM AE LED lights on the 3, they blow away the LUX AE lights, are extremely easy to install. I am not that mechanically inclined and it took me about 20 min. Alex over at alpine was extremely responsive and is working on a bulb that is slightly lower wattage... however I am not sure if I will go with that. These simply look amazing. The inner halo is crisp and sharp... the photos do not do it justice. This system does not throw any codes and yes they do work on the 7.. just ask Alex.... They are so good I am ordering a set for my Z4 and my X....

See less See more
#215 ·
My 7 is a piece of crap, but my HID angel eyes are great.

#220 ·
it was common back in 2010 to put 55w HID bulbs in the angel eyes, hence the possibility of melting angel eyes was high. but since then, 35w HID have come into the market and operates at a lower temp.

hence it is why i was asking the date of that photo. and that is the only photo i have every seen. also it shows the right hand side of the angel eye to be broken off, could be a defective early model or tampered with or otherwise.

at the end of the day, only a few things are clear, BMW headlight design is weak in comparison to Mercedes Benz and audi. Mtec's design is rather rudimentary and unsatisfactory, quite frankly i am surprised an American company such as yours cannot manufacture a rather brilliant retrofit.

Also the stuff you sell on your website is almost all from china, in the UK, anyone can import that stuff from china without question, even the cree led's, your 5600+lm per fog bulbs are actually advertised as by the real manufacturer as 1800-2500 per item. Won't be surprised if you file for bankruptcy in 5 years.

i diverge, people will choose to believe what they want to believe.

#224 ·
Very few, like one or two have complained that the HID's melted their headlight assemble. So I say go for it.

#226 ·
E92... I really appreciate what you try to bring to the market. That said, having been one of the ones that put together a side by side comparison with the HID AE lights, your products, including your most recent products do not really stack up. I just purchased a 2014 BMW X6 as a "beater/airport" car and tried out your new LED AE lights... still the same issues, not even close to being bright enough, and nothing compared to the HID AE lights like from Alpine MSS. But I really do appreciate the aggressiveness you bring to your marketing efforts on your products...

#230 · (Edited)
we will go ahead and start the HID angel eye process although we have many concerns, fact 1) we had to fix all of their angry clients since they didn't know how to innovate and boy oh boy, they were all pissed off since they just went MIA all of a sudden, in addition to mis matched output, one side light blue, one side yellow, the list goes on and on, ballast blowing up or short circuited, no CS and lacked the knowledge to innovate, which isnt our fault anyways.

#236 ·
I know this is an old thread, however, I'm curious about the HIDs in the DRL slots. How are they holding up and are they turning yellow or some other type of errors? I want to purchase some LEDs, but I can't find any that equally distribute the light to the outer ring as well as the H8 bulbs. I have some LEDs in there now and they are fading. This thread came up in my search, so I hope there's some help out there for our F01 DRLs. Thank you.

#237 ·
The HID***8217;s are holding up very well. I have 8000k 35w h8 units in there. They are bright and have a blueish colour to them over the oem 6000k.

The light output is very good during the day, like the oem leds almost.

I have replaced the ballast once and a bulb too. But that***8217;s normal wear and tear.

You can code out the lamb check quite easily.

There are some new LEDs on the market with CREE XHB50 chips which I am considering to try. But I can***8217;t fault what I***8217;m currently running, so there isn***8217;t any need for me to try others.

Hope this was helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.