BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2000 BMW 540i for sale Blown Engine

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  E39project 
#1 ·
I just had my second diagnosis on my car and it has a blown engine. Looking to sell as i dont have the money to pay for a used one. Excepting reasonable offers. The car is located in New Jersey.

#5 ·
#8 ·
Hope these help:
- Summary advice to provide users who suspect a major engine repair due to overheating (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to test an engine for a blown head gasket, cracked heads, a warped block, stripped head bolt threads, cam seizures, contaminated bearings, coolant hydrolock, or piston, ring, or valve damage (1) (2) & what are the major factors in deciding whether to rebuild the engine, replace the engine, or sell the car (1) & a DIY for replacing the I6 M54 head gasket (1) (2) & replacing the V8 M62TU head gasket (1) & why these engines are so prone to heat-related damage in the first place (1) & welding the crack between cylinder #3 and the water jacket on the exhaust side (1) & what engine swaps are most recommended (1) (2) (3) & where to obtain a new or rebuilt head (1) replacement short block or long block (1) (2) & how to lift & remove the engine (1) & the most recent real-world results from the last 50 people faced with similar blown engine problems from which this advice came from (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50)

#11 ·
My engine, wire harness and transmission got pulled out in one piece. My mechanic buddy Jay showed me how to pull a engine and told me to keep it all together for a better sale. I never heard the engine run but was verified that it does. I have to do a compression test myself to satisfy my approval. It's got around 94,000 miles on it. That's what the recently inspected sticker said.

The average used price is $2,400 for the engine and $1,900 with the auto trans. It's a complete engine. Still have keys and ignition plus the computer modules.

I'll price it $2,500 for the complete engine and trans. Keys, ignition and computers would be an added cost, tho i'm sure u got that covered.

-Josh

#12 ·
My engine, wire harness and transmission got pulled out in one piece. My mechanic buddy Jay showed me how to pull a engine and told me to keep it all together for a better sale. I never heard the engine run but was verified that it does. I have to do a compression test myself to satisfy my approval. It's got around 94,000 miles on it. That's what the recently inspected sticker said.

The average used price is $2,400 for the engine and $1,900 with the auto trans. It's a complete engine. Still have keys and ignition plus the computer modules.

I'll price it $2,500 for the complete engine and trans. Keys, ignition and computers would be an added cost, tho i'm sure u got that covered.

-Josh
Over my budget but thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.