BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Fan clutch kaput?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cn90 
#1 ·
With the engine running at operating temperature, I can stop the fan with 1 finger and spin it backwards would you say that the fan clutch isn't working? :eeps:

#2 ·
Nope. It only engages when the car is struggling to maintain operating temperature.

Go drive hard for a bit and pop the hood, try stoping the fan immediately, after one minute, and 3 minutes. Should engage at least at one of those points. But, use a thin newspaper roll, not your finger. :eek:

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

#8 ·
With the engine running at operating temperature, I can stop the fan with 1 finger and spin it backwards
Coolant temp was 3\4 to red and getting hotter and i could still stop the fan and spin it backwards with the engine running.
:confused:

Those are very different things.

Yes, the fan clutch is bad. As in my first post, it should only engage if the engine is struggling to maintain op temp. If you were idling at op temp it shouldn't be on in winter in most cases. If the temp was at 3/4, hell yeah it should be engaged.

3/4+ is NOT op temp.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

#10 ·
I have a simpler way of doing this.
With engine hot, place your hand behind the fan, if it blows well (like your living room standing fan at home @ medium speed), then it is fine.
Or hold a piece of paper behind the fan (between the fan and engine), if the paper flaps, then fan is good.

Sorry not to be scientific!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.